Occasional Starting Problem On 98 Es300

When I try to start sometimes (not often) the engines starts but the RPMs drop to zero and engine quits. When I repeat, the same things occurs again. When I repeat, however, and hold the throttle down very gently for a few secs, the proper idle takes hold. Car has 100,000 miles, plug replacement had no effect. Occurs primarily, it seems, if the car is warm to hot from recent drive.

Anyone have this problem diagnosed? Thanks!

7th fuel injector is dirty and/or the idle air control valve is carbed up.

a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (chevron w/Techron) may help if it is the injector.

Removal of the IAC valve is needed to clean that.

On a side note cause another member just posted about it,

Toyota and Lexus has been plaqued with a recurrent problem on idle and startup due to cracked bellows in the air tube. This is the large black hose that goes from the air box to the throttle body. It soemtimes can get cracked or develop pin sixed holes that let in more air that the engine thinks it is letting in. This throws off the sensors and results in a rough idle or startup.

steviej

7th fuel injector is dirty and/or the idle air control valve is carbed up.

a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (chevron w/Techron) may help if it is the injector.

Removal of the IAC valve is needed to clean that.

On a side note cause another member just posted about it,

Toyota and Lexus has been plaqued with a recurrent problem on idle and startup due to cracked bellows in the air tube. This is the large black hose that goes from the air box to the throttle body. It soemtimes can get cracked or develop pin sixed holes that let in more air that the engine thinks it is letting in. This throws off the sensors and results in a rough idle or startup.

steviej

there is not 7 th injector on a 1mz-fe

only the old cast iron lumps

My problem only occurs when the engine is hot (just driven in the last 5-10 minutes) and does not happen often even under these circumstances. Would you expect a crack/pinhole to impact the inability to hold an idle or would this just lead to a unsmooth idle (once started and later during driving, the idle is VERY smooth).

The engine does start, but unless I hold the pedal slightly down the idle immediately drops to zero. I've just tried a can of Redline cleaner - I'll let you know if it helps (but I used a can about 9 months ago after the problem first arose and it didn't seem to help).

I am also having the exact same problem with my '98. I just bought it in June w/ 100K on the ticker. I experienced it the first week of ownership and was very *BLEEP*ed. I have not started to try and diagnose the problem because it won't do it when I want it to, only when I'm in a huge hurry running errands or picking up a hot date. I just wanted to add my "me too" to this post. This weekend I'll quiz my friend at the Lexus dealership and get back to you.