Is It Worth It?

Hey, I have a 2003 Toyota Rav4 4x4 with 30,000 miles. I bought it when I lived up in the mountains where it snowed, but now I live on the coast, and its just kind of useless. I cant take it on long trips because of the small interior space, and limited comfort for any passenger, and the awd is useless, and just uses up more power and fuel economy, which is pretty poor, and the cars just, not that comofortable. The power is pretty decent, but not great. And the handling is nice, but not as great as it could be, as the cars up above the ground a bit. The car is mainly used for getting around town and everday commuting a half hour or so to work on a windy little road. I was looking around and found that, I could sell the car, and for what I got, buy a Gs300, or spend a little more and get a Gs400 or even a 430 for a bit more, and I could get any of these cars with 40,000 to 100,000 miles...Its hard for me to give up any vehicle for one with more mileage, but the lexus cars have so much allure. It would get similar or better fuel economy, have much better power, handle even better being lower to the ground, be much much much more comfortable, and just be a nicer car in general. One of my concerns is that I have a dog, which I put in the back of the rav4, but I think I could lay blankets or towels over the back of the lexus and put her there. It just seems like it would be such a nice upgrade, and suit my purposes a lot better than my current car...Ive also considered the Ls400, but I like the looks and just the general concept of the gs cars a lot more...What do you think? Shall I sell the toyota for a Gs?

I'd have to think hard about this one. We keep a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo for the dog haulin', fish catchin', mulch layin' duty. The GS400 is a pretty sweet ride for an all-purpose vehicle and may end up disappointing you if you have many functional-use issues in your life.

For example, although the trunk is roomy in the GS400, our back seats don't lay down. Second example, the GS400 is an eye magnet (read thief magnet), so we try to avoid taking it to certain areas that our hobbies would otherwise lead us (secluded mountain trails, riverside parking, etc.).

If you're on a budget, be aware that there are certain parts on the GS's that wear down in the 80k to 120k mile range like the starter (just replaced my contacts), ball joints (passenger side is currently on order), steering column gearing (too expensive to replace since it is functional, though noisy when the sun heats it up), and the driver's power door lock mechanism ($250 part plus labor -- waiting to fix this one, too).

On the other hand, ooohh the power (and I still don't think that cop was playing fair when he sent me to traffic school! :cries: ). It is a fun, luxurious car that has a very high thrill factor.

Yep, I would have to think hard on this one.

I'd have to think hard about this one. We keep a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo for the dog haulin', fish catchin', mulch layin' duty. The GS400 is a pretty sweet ride for an all-purpose vehicle and may end up disappointing you if you have many functional-use issues in your life.

For example, although the trunk is roomy in the GS400, our back seats don't lay down. Second example, the GS400 is an eye magnet (read thief magnet), so we try to avoid taking it to certain areas that our hobbies would otherwise lead us (secluded mountain trails, riverside parking, etc.).

If you're on a budget, be aware that there are certain parts on the GS's that wear down in the 80k to 120k mile range like the starter (just replaced my contacts), ball joints (passenger side is currently on order), steering column gearing (too expensive to replace since it is functional, though noisy when the sun heats it up), and the driver's power door lock mechanism ($250 part plus labor -- waiting to fix this one, too).

On the other hand, ooohh the power (and I still don't think that cop was playing fair when he sent me to traffic school! :cries: ). It is a fun, luxurious car that has a very high thrill factor.

Yep, I would have to think hard on this one.

I do not have a GS...but as far as a Lexus in general...I would say "PUT YOUR DOG IN IT" J/K!!! I also have a 1997 Jeep that I keep to do all of the things that I do not want my Lexus or my wife's car taking part in...#1 WAL-MART! #2 DOG...#3 MULCH...and so on. Even when we take the dog in the Jeep I spend 30 minutes cleaning the inside back...can not stand a dirty car! I guess if you have a little dog it would not be so bad?

I love my Lexus! There are even times after I spend all day cleaning it that I do not even want to take it out of the garage because it may rain! :rolleyes:

If you get a CPO Lexus then you will not have to worry about the parts or service until the warranty runs out...or you can buy an extended warranty...I am not sure how important the warranty is to you...but for me it is a definite...

DECISIONS...DECISIONS...

:D :lol: