Upgrade 2004 Rx330 V3 Nav To V4?

There are a few hacks I would like to perform to my 2004 RX330. I think I have most of them figured out, but the one I can't seem to get is the v3 to v4 navigration upgrade.

As I understand it I can buy a $300.00 DVD set and get the latest streets and whatnot, but I'll still be stuck with the v3 operating system. I really like the v4 look, feel and features. The console looks identical between v3 and v4 and when I think about it the actual nav computer is probably the only item I would need to upgrade (plus discs for v4) to get the newer software to run in my 330... But I'm making a lot of assumptions on connections, interfaces and whatnot. So my question is, has anyone been able to upgrade from a v3 nav to a v4 in a 330? Has anyone even tried?

In case anyone is wondering, other hacks I would like to implement are:

*1000watt inveter directly battery connected (in such a way that it does not drain when system off)

*XM and iPod integration direct into stereo system

*MacMini hack that was applied to Toyota Prius

*Find a hack to permantly disable the 'no nav input while driving' problem

A fun few projects for the summer... if it ever cools off...

Thanks for any info,

B

To avoid any confusion. The 2004 RX330 has a Generation 2 or 3 NAV. The most current generation is Gen 5. The CD-ROM for the NAV comes in different versions for the different generations. The most current Version for all the Gen 2-5 NAVs is Ver 5.1. Now, you can only use gen 2/3, ver 5.1 disks in a Gen 2/3 NAV. So the discs are specific to the generation and will not cross from one to the other. The part numbers for the same version are different depending on the generation.

If you want to change the generation the immediately obvious changes are the NAV unit in the trunk. Then you will have to add the buttons on the steering wheel for the bluetooth phone functionality.

Version part numbers

Right, I understand that... But what I'm trying to do is not just stick a DVD in and upgrade the OS, I'm trying to get a Gen 4 (or 5, but probably 4) computer with Gen 4 discs... Basically replacing the whole system without having to buy a new car.

While on the subject, can you tell me where the nav disc is located in the 2004 RX? I seached a couple of times to no avail.

Should be doable. Get the Gen 4 or 5 NAV ECU and put it in. The new ones already have the 5.1 update. If the connectors are a little different you can re-pin them.

I have the Gen 3 system in my ES, and we have the Gen 4 in the Prius and my dad has it in his 04 LS. Personally, I like the Gen 3 MUCH better. The graphics on the screen are much sharper, and the menus and buttons operate much more intuitively.

the DVD is in your trunk. It is where the spare tire is. Open the hatch in the "back" of the trunk where the tools are, and on the right had side, there is a clipped on door in the side of the plastic. REmove the clips and you have the dvd slit