Dying Airbag From Tan To Black

Hey guys I bought a 2001 ES300 Steering wheel in black with the woodgrain on it and I cant find the airbag in black anywhere. I heard that I can dye these airbags to whatever color I want, I found a tan airbag for 50 bucks and want to know if its possible to dye it in black. What brand or method should I take. I have a pic of what Im looking for.

Also will a 1997 ES airbag fit on a 2001 ES steering wheel?

Any help would be very appreciated

post-22162-1153783427_thumb.jpg

post-22162-1153783468_thumb.jpg

Hey guys I bought a 2001 ES300 Steering wheel in black with the woodgrain on it and I cant find the airbag in black anywhere. I heard that I can dye these airbags to whatever color I want, I found a tan airbag for 50 bucks and want to know if its possible to dye it in black. What brand or method should I take. I have a pic of what Im looking for.

Also will a 1997 ES airbag fit on a 2001 ES steering wheel?

Any help would be very appreciated

A 97 airbag will not work in a 01. Who is going to reset the airbag ??? How is your auto insurance going to feel about that ??? It shouldn't be that difficult to reproduce the leather in black. Tan would be a hell of alot harder. This project is high risk.......... <_<

would it be a satin black or Landau black?

would it be a satin black or Landau black?

no the 97 airbag is going inside a 96ES300 with a 2001 ES300 steering wheel. I cant find the airbag in black so if I dyed a tan airbag it would save the trouble looking for a black one.

Look man I have a 1996 ES300, I purchased a used 2001 ES300 steering wheel with the woodgrain in black and found out that my 1996 ES300 airbag doesnt fit on that wheel, so I have been searching for a black airbag for a 1997-2001 ES300 cause any of those years airbag fits on that 2001 ES300 steering wheel. The problem is I cant find the dam airbag in any of those years 97-01 in BLACK. Now question was if I could buy a tan airbag from 1997-2001 ES300 and dye it or color it in black somehow. So I need input if its possible to paint it from tan to black. I also know my years dude 92-93 3VZ-FE 94-96 1mz-fe same body style, 97-2001 1mz-fe different body style different airbag system and shape.

DC i am not sure what you are going on about ?

The wheels compatibility i am not sure so i can;t help you there but the harness of the bag should still connect.

There is a company called leatherique who have many local dealers who can dye it for you. Or find a local vinyl pool cover in the yellow pages .

I'm not sure the airbag will work. I do know for instance that 1995-1997 LS airbags will NOT bolt onto 98-00 wheels even though the design is the same. Airbags from 98+ are second generation and at least on the LS there were changes with how they bolted up to the wheels.

As for safety, the 97 airbag will work just as well in your car as the one you've got, its the same system the shape of the modules is just different. The airbag doesn't have to be "reset", the act of "resetting" the airbags has to do with replacing them and the sensors after they are deployed in an accident. You should just be able to plug in the leads and go. The trick is going to be getting it to bolt to the 01 wheel.

Thanks SW your strate to the point, I wonder how I can find out if the bag will bolt on and I went on leatheriques web and found a place 15 minutes away from me that can dye it black, but will have to make a couple of phone calls to see if that bag will bolt on, cause I know 97-01 ES bags are the same shape, but the bolts might not line up. If you can help me find out, as I will try to find out to I would be very appreciative. Thanks

I have no clue where to point you, sorry. :(

well if I were to put the 97 bag in place on that 01 wheel wouldnt it fall in place since its the same shape? cause if it does Im sure I can figure out a way to customize it to bolt on.

Don't find a way to customize the airbag it either fits or it doesn't . The last thing you want is an airbag flying 200mph at you with a metal plate on it.

OK guys got my answer from the Lexus dealer, they said that 1997-1998ES airbag system is the same as 95-96ES300 airbag system and that the 97 airbag fits on any year from 97-01 steering wheel. So I found the black airbag for 150 bucks and will be installing it on my 2001 ES steering wheel and it will fit perfectly on my 1996 ES300.

So if anyone ever wants to install a woodgrain steering wheel from a 1999 to 2001 ES300, you need a 97-98ES300 airbag to not have any problems. I will post pics when I have it installed.