Navigation System Override For Rx350?

I have a person here in Dallas install Ultimate Lockpick3 on my RX350 2008 model. That includes install in the trunk and install behind the Navigation Unit.
So far it works satisfactory like this:-
1. Cancelling "I Agree" button works perfectly without and issues so far.
2. Address input works. However you have to first touch the 'Phone' button on the steering wheel first so that the speed sensor gest disabled (I guess) and then hit the 'Dest" button for address input. Also every few seconds the screen gryas out and gets activated again. But that didn't bother me too much.
3. Bluetooth works "flawless"
4. The Vedio input through a DVD Plyars works very well ( I don't have a video ipod so I just tested it by a Home DVD Player).
5. Before I installed Ultimate Lockpick3 I had a after market VIAS ipod integration into my glove box. This continues to work as it was. And the bonus with lockpick3 is that now I can touch music while in motion as well. But you just have to activate the speed sensor disablement like I have do for Address input.

Does it work??

-Ken

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken-

I am still considering buying the lockpick and now that you have had yours for several weeks, I'm interested in how satisfied you are.

You mentioned in an earlier post that if you shifted in reverse too soon, the unit would not cancel the I agree screen - Once you shift back to drive, will the LP then cancel the I agree screen?

Could you tell me about where the unit is in the rear of the RX - I'd like to poke around some before I order.

Thanks for your help.

Once you shift back into drive - sometimes it does cancel the I Agree and sometimes not. It seems like the longer you are in reverse it doesn't cancel it. Usually works about 90% on the I Agree.

It attaches to the back of the DVD unit in the trunk. If you open the door under the trunk mat - the one with the jack in it, you need to remove that tray. There are 2 plastic 'push pins' one on either side - just pry them out with a flatblade screwdriver. Then slide the tray towards the rear of the RX while lifting it out and you will see the DVD unit on the right side. You just unplug the cable closest to the front of the car and plug in the LP, then plug the cable you removed into the other end of the LP. - replace the tray - done. When you re-start the car, the navi firmware will re-load, you will see this on the navi display - just let it finish and that's it.

BTW, I have the LP3-BASIC - for $99.00 I think it's well worth it.

-Ken

I removed the two pins on the side of the jack Tray but was unable to pull out the jack tray. It appeared that there was a piece of wood (toward the front of the car) with some type of screws, that was preventing me from pulling out the jack tray. Anyone else esperience this?

Ken-

I am still considering buying the lockpick and now that you have had yours for several weeks, I'm interested in how satisfied you are.

You mentioned in an earlier post that if you shifted in reverse too soon, the unit would not cancel the I agree screen - Once you shift back to drive, will the LP then cancel the I agree screen?

Could you tell me about where the unit is in the rear of the RX - I'd like to poke around some before I order.

Thanks for your help.

Once you shift back into drive - sometimes it does cancel the I Agree and sometimes not. It seems like the longer you are in reverse it doesn't cancel it. Usually works about 90% on the I Agree.

It attaches to the back of the DVD unit in the trunk. If you open the door under the trunk mat - the one with the jack in it, you need to remove that tray. There are 2 plastic 'push pins' one on either side - just pry them out with a flatblade screwdriver. Then slide the tray towards the rear of the RX while lifting it out and you will see the DVD unit on the right side. You just unplug the cable closest to the front of the car and plug in the LP, then plug the cable you removed into the other end of the LP. - replace the tray - done. When you re-start the car, the navi firmware will re-load, you will see this on the navi display - just let it finish and that's it.

BTW, I have the LP3-BASIC - for $99.00 I think it's well worth it.

-Ken

I removed the two pins on the side of the jack Tray but was unable to pull out the jack tray. It appeared that there was a piece of wood (toward the front of the car) with some type of screws, that was preventing me from pulling out the jack tray. Anyone else esperience this?

Does it work??

-Ken

Hmmmm, Cannot seem to get email through to CoastalEtech.com Keeps bouncing. Web site is there. Did you have any other email or contact details for them that you can share??

I have a 2008 RX350 and trying to establish if it will work on the Nav system in that

Thanks

John A

Just read entire thread, great post guys. But I'm still a little confused about LP3 Basic for $99. From what I read in this thread if it works then it

1- shuts off the "I agree", and

2- lets you override the NAV system

but does it override the phone?

Thanks

Ann

Just read entire thread, great post guys. But I'm still a little confused about LP3 Basic for $99. From what I read in this thread if it works then it

1- shuts off the "I agree", and

2- lets you override the NAV system

but does it override the phone?

Thanks

Ann

No. But of course there's many speed dial numbers available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the Lockpick Basic ($99) on the Nav version 6.1

I have bought the Lockpick3 from CoastalEtech. It is installed in my RX350/2008 with disc 6.1 basic Nav system

The I Agree prompt goes away after 1-2 secs unless you hit reverse before it does.

It allows use of the Dest features whilst moving. The keys grey out sometimes but come back. Access is obtained by touching the pushpin in the top lh corner of the screen in the Dest screen. Seems the gps tracking is lost whilst accessing the normally locked features but it resumes fairly fast.

Worth $99

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the Lockpick 3 Basic (The $99 one) to my 2007 Lexus RX 350. The instructions in this thread were very helpful -- thanks guys!

After a test drive I am not happy. The navigation seems to lose track almost completely.

Upon starting normally, the "I Agree" button indeed goes away in a couple seconds with a satisfying beep. So far so good. Also I was able to enter an address while driving, and got into navigation ok.

However, the formerly very responsive GPS tracking now became something horrible. It would only track for a second or two, then wait maybe 30 seconds before getting a fix again, and then just staying there while the car moved on. Quite unusable.

Looks like I have either a bad unit or there's something weird with this particular car.

I have the 6.1 sw, have not hacked anything on that side.

Going to return the unit. Anyone else with similar problems?

B/

Yes, sort of. I had no pieces of wood that would have prevented anything, but plastic.

The plastic tray would not come out easily. After some twisting I found that it has to be all the way towards the front of the car before it is possible to pull it away. Even then it was tough.

I discovered plastic ridges in the tray, apparently added there for strengthening it, that would get stuck in all kinds of things and therefore resist pulling the tray up. Once I did get the tray up, I mutilated the plastic ridges so that now the tray comes up quite easily.

Otherwise the installation went quite smoothly. The end result was no good, though -- see my previous post.

B/

On mine, the nav does stop tracking while entering an address, but it comes back and tracks normally while on the map screen. The only time mine isn't tracking is when I'm using the lp3 to enter a destination. It sounds like you got a bad unit if it's tracking, then not tracking while in map mode.

You may want to check that your connections are completely plugged in. I would disconnect it completely, check the wires in the connector for bent pins then plug it all back in again.

And lastly, it did take 3 LP3 basics to get one that worked for me. They definitely have a quality control problem with these units, but since they are the only game in town, just keep returning them until you get one that works.

-Ken

On mine, the nav does stop tracking while entering an address, but it comes back and tracks normally while on the map screen. The only time mine isn't tracking is when I'm using the lp3 to enter a destination. It sounds like you got a bad unit if it's tracking, then not tracking while in map mode.

You may want to check that your connections are completely plugged in. I would disconnect it completely, check the wires in the connector for bent pins then plug it all back in again.

And lastly, it did take 3 LP3 basics to get one that worked for me. They definitely have a quality control problem with these units, but since they are the only game in town, just keep returning them until you get one that works.

-Ken

Ahhhmm. I will experiment a little more and then return the LockPick unless this improves. On a quick look the pins appeared okay, and the connectors were indeed fully inserted.

I believe the unit does little more than pulse the speed sensing wire. I may hack in a relay someday with remote control from the dashboard -- at least I know how that circuit works.

Btw Ken, your posts have been quite helpful. Thanks.

B/

-Ken

Ahhhmm. I will experiment a little more and then return the LockPick unless this improves. On a quick look the pins appeared okay, and the connectors were indeed fully inserted.

I believe the unit does little more than pulse the speed sensing wire. I may hack in a relay someday with remote control from the dashboard -- at least I know how that circuit works.

B/

Do you mean you're going to put a relay in the speed sensing wire that would open the circuit when you want? Which wire is the speed sensing wire? Can this wire be just disconnected (cut) without any adverse effect on the rest of the system? Thanks!.............Don

-Ken

B/

Do you mean you're going to put a relay in the speed sensing wire that would open the circuit when you want? Which wire is the speed sensing wire? Can this wire be just disconnected (cut) without any adverse effect on the rest of the system? Thanks!.............Don

NO, you don't want to disconnect it completely. The nav would not track if you did.

From what I have gathered - there are 2 speed sensing wires - one to the nav and one to the radio. The radio one appears to be permanenly dis-connectable and would allow telephone dialing and viewing of the cd folders and display of the FM radio text while in motion. The second is to the nav and is the one that is eliminated by the lp3. If this was permanently disconnected the nav would not be able to track properly and this is why when the lp3 (electronically) disconnects the speed sense wire it loses it's place on the map. I don't think it pulses it as I never lose my speed signal while driving - only when I have the lp3 engaged.

-Ken

NO, you don't want to disconnect it completely. The nav would not track if you did.

From what I have gathered - there are 2 speed sensing wires - one to the nav and one to the radio. The radio one appears to be permanenly dis-connectable and would allow telephone dialing and viewing of the cd folders and display of the FM radio text while in motion. The second is to the nav and is the one that is eliminated by the lp3. If this was permanently disconnected the nav would not be able to track properly and this is why when the lp3 (electronically) disconnects the speed sense wire it loses it's place on the map. I don't think it pulses it as I never lose my speed signal while driving - only when I have the lp3 engaged.

-Ken

Ken,

Very interesting. So if you knew exactly which wire was the speed sensor wire for the Navigation, it seems to me you could cut it and wire in a toggle switch to allow you to enter new destinations, and then flip the switch back on. I wonder if the wiring schematic would show which wire it is.

What a pain! I think soon we're going to "safety" ourselves to death!! Ha Ha!..............Don

This Navigation topic seems to be THE biggest concern about the Newer RX's. I just glanced at the number of "views" it has, and it has been viewed more than any other topic by far. Interesting!

I have an '07 Acura TSX and the NAV/Bluetooth is well designed and works flawlessly. If I knew how poorly designed the Lexus NAV was, I would have opted for the Acura MDX instead of the RX350. The RX350 is a beautifully designed and engineered vehicle, but the NAV is its Achilles Heel.

I'll keep checking back here hoping that someone figures out how to remove the handcuffs from the system.

Jonny

• 2 weeks later...

Ken, (RXin ATL)

Still happy with the LockPick? You mentioned that you thought the speed sensor wire for the Audio and Bluetooth seemed to be permanently disconnectable. Can you tell me which wire that is? Color of the wire? Or do you think the super duper lock pick that works the Nav and the audio / bluetooth is the way to go? Thanks!! ..........Don

Ken, (RXin ATL)

Still happy with the LockPick? You mentioned that you thought the speed sensor wire for the Audio and Bluetooth seemed to be permanently disconnectable. Can you tell me which wire that is? Color of the wire? Or do you think the super duper lock pick that works the Nav and the audio / bluetooth is the way to go? Thanks!! ..........Don

Don,

Yep, I'm still happy with the lp3. I do not know the wire to disconnect, but saw in in another post - it's a single wire behind the nav screen. You could either remove it from the harness (best choice) or clip it and put a switch in the line or just leave it disconnected. The lp3 ($299. version) besides allowing video and audio input just disables this wire with a a harness anyways. So if you want to watch videos on the front screen it's the way to go. If you just want the telephone and audio screens to be available just disconnect the wire and save the $200. price difference.

The lp3 basic IS the best way to disable the 'I Agree' and allow nav input. The wire above will NOT help with these two items.

If I find the post on the wire, I'll post a link to it.

-Ken

Here's the link - you just need to remove pin 20 (unless you want to watch DVD's) - only downside(??) is that the speed dial screen will require an additional button press - the phone will come on in the dial screen just as if you were stopped.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226825

Ken,

Thanks for the info. I just want to be able to use the Audio screen for MP3 CD's .

That way I can pick out the folder I want to hear.

I'll order the Basic LP3 and see how it goes. It sure will be nice to be able to enter a destination, or an additional destination without having to stop the car.

Again.....thanks for all the information!...............Don :cheers:

Can you search for POIs and add destinations while driving using the voice commands? If I could do that, I wouldn't need to override the lockout.

Yes, I believe you can enter a destination and search for POIs using the voice command feature while driving, so it's not completely hopeless..