Navigation System Override For Rx350?

I called Coastal Tech today and the lady that answered the phone assured me the Lockpick 3 would work with the RX350. They sure need to get their story straight. Also she told me that the Lockpick plugs into the back of the nav unit requiring removal of part of the dash. Is this correct? Is it difficult? Maybe they will get the unit working properly.

Thanks.

Yes, the lady at Coastal told me that also when I ordered it. Also, it does NOT plug into the back of the dash, it plugs into the nav unit in the rear of the RX. It's about a 2 minute install - just remove the jack tray (it's held in with 2 plastic expansion pins) - unplug the cable from the back of the nav and insert the cable from the LP3.

My 'feeling' is that it may work with the RX350 before ver 6.1 map software as there is a macro that does the same thing from the screen by touching different places and it probably emulates those keypresses. This backdoor was removed in the ver 6.1 map s/w.

If you're in Atlanta and want to try it before I send it back, you are welcome to.

-Ken

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got off the phone with Costal Electronics, they have a new version of their Lockpick that over rides all the locked features of the 2007 RX-350 Nav system with v6.1 software. I've ordered it. $299, we'll see if it works.

http://www.coastaletech.com

Bruce

07 RX350

5k Miles.

I recieved my ultimate 3 lockpick today. 3 harnesses, one plugs into the back of the CD reader (easy to install), the other 2 plug into the back of the Nav screen (hard to install, have to remove the dash). The 2 that go into the back of the nav screen have 2x3 IC circut boards covered with shrink tubing. We'll see.....

I just got off the phone with Costal Electronics, they have a new version of their Lockpick that over rides all the locked features of the 2007 RX-350 Nav system with v6.1 software. I've ordered it. $299, we'll see if it works.

http://www.coastaletech.com

Bruce

07 RX350

5k Miles.

I recieved my ultimate 3 lockpick today. 3 harnesses, one plugs into the back of the CD reader (easy to install), the other 2 plug into the back of the Nav screen (hard to install, have to remove the dash). The 2 that go into the back of the nav screen have 2x3 IC circut boards covered with shrink tubing. We'll see.....

Any update on how the lockpick works. Also, how long did it take for them to deliver once you ordered?

DSMILES

Bruce, I see from your earlier post that you purchased the Lockpick 3 which requires behind-the-dash installation. Do you know if the Lockpick basic for the 07 RX also requires behind-the-dash installation?

Thanks

Bruce, I see from your earlier post that you purchased the Lockpick 3 which requires behind-the-dash installation. Do you know if the Lockpick basic for the 07 RX also requires behind-the-dash installation?

Thanks

I think the LP Basic just plugs into the CD reader in the trunk.

Thanks

I think the LP Basic just plugs into the CD reader in the trunk.

That is correct - but, I have tried 2 of them and they don't work properly.

Has anyone been successful with one of these???

-Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the Coastal Lockpick 3 Basic ($99) last week. Easy install - just plugs into dvd in trunk - HOWEVER, it does NOT WORK with the RX350 as they stated. It does NOT cancel the "I Agree" button and does NOT allow destination input while the car is in motion. I called them and am awaiting a replacement unit at this moment.

I would hold off on ordering one of these until someone can verify it works properly. Hopefully me, when I get a replacement.

Also, to note - the destination over ride is not automaticlly open. Each time you want to use it you have do do some key presses first, according to the manual.

Hi Everyone --

Does anyone know if the $99.00 package discussed here (or one like it) works for the 2007 Lexus ES-350??

Thanks,

Ron

I ordered the Coastal Lockpick 3 Basic ($99) last week. Easy install - just plugs into dvd in trunk - HOWEVER, it does NOT WORK with the RX350 as they stated. It does NOT cancel the "I Agree" button and does NOT allow destination input while the car is in motion. I called them and am awaiting a replacement unit at this moment.

I would hold off on ordering one of these until someone can verify it works properly. Hopefully me, when I get a replacement.

Also, to note - the destination over ride is not automaticlly open. Each time you want to use it you have do do some key presses first, according to the manual.

Hi Everyone --

Does anyone know if the $99.00 package discussed here (or one like it) works for the 2007 Lexus ES-350??

Thanks,

Ron

I am now waiting for my THIRD unit (first 2 did NOT work) - I will post when it arrives and I give it a try.

-Ken

I am now waiting for my THIRD unit (first 2 did NOT work) - I will post when it arrives and I give it a try.

-Ken

Hi Everyone -- I see a "Flag" next to my post which says Warn [0%] and 4-5 little blocks. What does that mean?? Did I say something wrong ?? If I did, I apologize.....

Thanks,

Ron

-Ken

Well the third time was the charm - the LP3 Basic does work for both the 'I Agree' and still a bit flakey on the destination over ride.

Don't know about their quality control, but their product does work (eventually)... :D

-Ken

-Ken

Well the third time was the charm - the LP3 Basic does work for both the 'I Agree' and still a bit flakey on the destination over ride.

Don't know about their quality control, but their product does work (eventually)... :D

-Ken

does it work with the phone functions?

thx

I've been to the coastal tech web site and I am a little confused about which one to buy.

I want:

Bluetooth phone to function fully while in motion (dialing, phone book search etc.)

MP3 audio file read & file select - full functionality while in motion

Things I might want:

Navigation input while in motion

I do not care about:

Pressing the "I agree" button (no big deal, press it once when I start the car)

Will the basic version of LP3 get me the phone & audio options I want or must I upgrade to one of their other products? (plus or ultimate)

Thanks,

Dave

I received an e-mail from Coastal Tech.

They said the lockpick 3 will give me the phone options I want but they also said that MP3 is not a feature of any of their products.

I thought that installing the lockpick would be like cutting the speed sensing wire and things that work when you are stationary would now work when you are moving.

Can anyone who has LP3 on a NAV system (latest gen) verify this?

Thanks,

Dave

I received an e-mail from Coastal Tech.

They said the lockpick 3 will give me the phone options I want but they also said that MP3 is not a feature of any of their products.

I thought that installing the lockpick would be like cutting the speed sensing wire and things that work when you are stationary would now work when you are moving.

Can anyone who has LP3 on a NAV system (latest gen) verify this?

Thanks,

Dave

I only have the basic - but, the way IT works is by disabling the speed sense wire to the head unit. Hence, while it is activated the nav will lose it's location and will need to re-adjust when you go back to the map screen. You activate the nav over ride by pressing the red pushpin in the upper left of the DEST screen when you want to use the nav over ride. So it's not always activated. Don't know how the other functions work, like phone, mp3, etc.

-Ken

I installed the LP3 about two weeks ago. '07 RX350, Gen 5 (not the latest 6.1 firmware version). Installation was fair, pulled the center console to add the tap into the radio for audio, then the two new plugs for the Nav, one large plug and the video plug. The other bypass one gets connected to the DVD unit in the trunk/rear area.

The system to work fair to well on the "I agree" bypass, as well as audio/video (I'm connecting in a video IPOD). The destination and phone bypass works but I have noticed thing cycles about every 30 seconds, by that I mean it allows entry for 30 seconds, flashes to the non-bypas mode and comes back. I'm calling them on this issue.

As for the Company, not responsive at all, they do not return phone calls or emails. The product is a fair, but until I see this bug go away its not one I would highly recommend. Product I would say is a 3.5 out 5, support/company 1 out of 5 at best.

I am also running the VIAS Sound linq for XM Satellite radio input, installing the LP3 did not interfere with that at all.

Ken-

Is this the unit that attaches in the rear of the vehicle - no dash access required?

Does the "I Agree" screen get bypassed?

All Nav functions available.

Thanks for your info.

Yes, it is a 5 minute install - all in the trunk.

I agree about the company support and the lack thereof - though whenever I did get them on the phone they were quick to send a replacement. It did take 3 units to get it working and this (they said) was their final try - they insisted the problem was with my car, not their unit. Their quality control is also a problem.

The 'I Agree' does go away after about 2 seconds of it being on the screen. If you are quick about going into reverse, it will NOT eliminate the 'I Agree' screen - you must wait for the lp3 to get rid of it on it's own.

The nav over ride does go on and off as noted above, but at least it does allow input while driving.

It is worth $100. (in my opinion) as I was soooo frustrated not being able to use the destination functions while travelling. The $229 and $300 versions, I'm not so sure of.....

-Ken

-Ken

• 1 month later...

Ken-

Is this the unit that attaches in the rear of the vehicle - no dash access required?

Thanks for your info.

I agree about the company support and the lack thereof - though whenever I did get them on the phone they were quick to send a replacement. It did take 3 units to get it working and this (they said) was their final try - they insisted the problem was with my car, not their unit. Their quality control is also a problem.

The 'I Agree' does go away after about 2 seconds of it being on the screen. If you are quick about going into reverse, it will NOT eliminate the 'I Agree' screen - you must wait for the lp3 to get rid of it on it's own.

The nav over ride does go on and off as noted above, but at least it does allow input while driving.

It is worth $100. (in my opinion) as I was soooo frustrated not being able to use the destination functions while travelling. The $229 and $300 versions, I'm not so sure of.....

-Ken

-Ken

Ken,

How do I expose the plug(wires) for the DVD in the trunk? I can only see the front of the DVD unit in the trunk. How to remove/un screw the cabinet etc in the trunK? Please help.

Nevermind I got this done.

Ken-

Thanks for your info.

-Ken

-Ken

Ken,

How do I expose the plug(wires) for the DVD in the trunk? I can only see the front of the DVD unit in the trunk. How to remove/un screw the cabinet etc in the trunK? Please help.

Ken-

I am still considering buying the lockpick and now that you have had yours for several weeks, I'm interested in how satisfied you are.

You mentioned in an earlier post that if you shifted in reverse too soon, the unit would not cancel the I agree screen - Once you shift back to drive, will the LP then cancel the I agree screen?

Could you tell me about where the unit is in the rear of the RX - I'd like to poke around some before I order.

Thanks for your help.

Ken-

I am still considering buying the lockpick and now that you have had yours for several weeks, I'm interested in how satisfied you are.

You mentioned in an earlier post that if you shifted in reverse too soon, the unit would not cancel the I agree screen - Once you shift back to drive, will the LP then cancel the I agree screen?

Could you tell me about where the unit is in the rear of the RX - I'd like to poke around some before I order.

Thanks for your help.

Once you shift back into drive - sometimes it does cancel the I Agree and sometimes not. It seems like the longer you are in reverse it doesn't cancel it. Usually works about 90% on the I Agree.

It attaches to the back of the DVD unit in the trunk. If you open the door under the trunk mat - the one with the jack in it, you need to remove that tray. There are 2 plastic 'push pins' one on either side - just pry them out with a flatblade screwdriver. Then slide the tray towards the rear of the RX while lifting it out and you will see the DVD unit on the right side. You just unplug the cable closest to the front of the car and plug in the LP, then plug the cable you removed into the other end of the LP. - replace the tray - done. When you re-start the car, the navi firmware will re-load, you will see this on the navi display - just let it finish and that's it.

BTW, I have the LP3-BASIC - for $99.00 I think it's well worth it.

-Ken