Sc430 Or Not?

Suplex

I'm in the market for an used SC430. Trading my '98 GS400 in. I need input on SC430 driver's compliants and praises. :unsure: If you anyone thinks I shouldn't buy it, please tell me the reason(s). I will not consider German or American cars since I've had many, many bad experiences..... :angry::angry::angry::angry: So, if you think I shouldn't get the SC then I'll keep my GS. Thanks for all of your inputs. B)

Just bought a SC 430 with 12900 miles on it. LOVE the car when I can get it away from my wife. Absolutely HATE the run flats. Very noisy and rough riding. They ruin the car. I knew they sucked when I bought it so I was able to use it as a bargaining point with the owner.Get the car you will love it, Plan on changing the tires.

Buzz

No six speed, run-flats and the lack of rollover protection humps on the back are the only real complaints about the SC430.

But if you're not an insane driver like some of us, then don't worry about them.

Also, I'm not much of a convertable person.

Four months ago I bought a used (9,000 mi) SC430. I had been driving an SC400 for 10 years (130,00 miles!). That car was great - best I ever had. (in fact at the last minute I kept it for my wife and traded in her 53,000 mi Infinity!). Anyway, the 430 is awsome. Art in motion. Fantastic design - looks great as a hardtop, looks great as a convertible. Drives like a dream (especially with my new NON-RUN FLAT TIRES!). A real head turner - everyone comments. You WON'T be sorry!

• 3 weeks later...

I BOUGHT 2002 SC430 IN FEBRUARY WITH 8000 MILES

THE PREVIOUS OWNER COULDN'T GET HIS GOLF CLUBS IN THE TRUNK SO HE TURNED IT IN .. I JUST HAPPENED TO DRIVE BY THAT DAY

THE RUN FLATS GOT TO GO IVE GOT 16000 MILES

AND THEY ARE SHOT

TOYOS , NITTOS KUMHO , THEY ARE NOT RUN FLATS BUT THEY ARE 1/2 THE PRICE AND IM TOLD A BETTER RIDE

BUY THE 430

Hey buy the sc430, it is the best convertible for the money actually on the market. An SC 300 is coming out for 04 as 2005. It is nice, less H.P but very nice :)

My dad as the Sc 430, he loves it when my mom isn't driving it. The only other anoying thing about it, apart from the tires, is the passenger seat, when no one is in it 's making al ittle noise. I have no idea where it come from and Lexus either.

Good luck :D

I agree with getting the SC 430. I just picked one a new '03 two weeks ago at the dealer. Because of this forum, I complained about the run flats, so they took off the Bridgestones and replaced with run flat Dunlops. Only have about 500 miles on the car, so the jury's out on the tires.

Compared to my '01 BMW 330 ci convertable, the car drives more smoothly (reminds me of the ride of the Jag XK8--not the great handling of the BMW, but a good compromise of comfort vs. performance). The only problem is that my wife hated the 330 and loves the SC, so its never around. Good news is I get a ride to the airport when travelling, because she doesn't want it parked for the week.

In my opinion the SC 430 is the best all around choice you can make for the price. I came out of a Porsche 911 and a year later in the SC I have no complaints at all. Just finished a 1500 mile trip to Florida. 9 hours in the seat gave me a great ride, good tunes and in total comfort.

Reliability has been first rate and same with the dealer in fixing tire problems recently.

You do not see many of these due to the production volume of 7000 units per year. My SC draws stares and raves everytime it is out.

Buy it and you will be happy. Suggest you buy one from a Lexus dealer just for the added insurance that it has been taken care of and ask to see a nationwide printout of the service of the car. The lead Tech told me these engines will last for 300,000 miles without any major refurb.

Derek. :cheers:

• 2 months later...

I have a 2002 SC430. Just had it's 15K service including transmission oil, and also replaced the AC filter recommended at 10K to 15K. Bought it new in April of 2001. Still waiting for the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S 245-40-ZR-18 non run flat tires to become available. I only drive mine once or twice a week. Probably because I don't drive it that much, the battery became very weak, woulld not start the car without a jump, and Lexus replaced under warranty. Also, I had them replace the trunk shocks under warranty since the trunk didn't pop up the way it should like when new. I run mine with mobil one synthetic oil. Even smoother and more powerful... when it was already fantastic and smooth...

I could not imagine driving this car as a 6 cylinder. It would ruin it.

This car is excellent!!! Pure perfection. And you can get a golf bag in the trunk if you take out your driver and 3 wood and lay them in first. Then put two more sets on the back seat. What can I say, the interior is so fine, high quality and beyond compare. The paint job is very thick... compare the paint job to the cheaper Luxury japanese competitors. The german cars are unreliable... The only car that might be slightly better and maybe not for reliabilty and longevity is the new Mercedes SL450... but for 100K - I'll keep the difference in price...

It's two different cars... A very powerful, luxury high quality roadster coupe and an awesome fun, beautiful refreshing open air vehicle. So, if you don't have to cart around a lot of stuff or large family, or more than two girl friends ---- BUY THE SC430!!!!!

I would like to hear if anyone has a good solution for an inflateable spare that takes up minimal space or a reliable tire flat repair system................

One of the gentlemen I work with has a daughter that is an engineer for Toyota. She works at the Toyota proving grounds near Wickenburg outside of Phoenix. She gave him a tour of the facility in a new SC430. He said it was his first ride in a Lexus and he was impressed. She then told him that the car had been torn down and put back together at least half a dozen times looking for problems. He said he never would have guessed that.

I just purchased an sc430 and my only complaint is a bit of noise from runflat tires and a bit of a rough ride. Are the non runflat tires much of a difference? I understand you have to do a whole modification thing with the trunk for a spare. Do you pretty much lose ALL of the already sparse trunk space with the spare? Is it worth changing to non runflats?

RUNFLATS_

There is a major difference between tires and runflats. Runflats are made of extremely hard rubber, with massivly reinforced sidewalls. The sidewalls themselves have to hold the weight of the car when air can't. That creates an extremely hard ride. I would get used to the noise, you're going to get that from any ultra high performance tire, it's just the way tread is designed. The noisiest tires are high life tires, like a 100,000 tread wear warranty, and BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's. Or any other tire like the BF's. There are just noisy tires out there, the quieter tires are usually for small sedans. Anything considered a "performance" tire is going to make some noise on the road.

I have a 2002 SC430 and have changed to non run flats. The car is a totally different car with regular tires on it. In fact, had it continued to ride and handle the same way with the non run flats I would not have kept the car. On a rough road the car was barely controlable due to sidewall steer with the run flats. My wife wouldn't drive it on a rough road and I had to really hold onto the steering wheel to be ready for the steering wheel to spin as the tires hit an uneven area in the road. I originally had the car in Florida where the roads tend to be better and the main problem was just the excessive road noise. In NY where I have the car now the roads tend to be rougher with an occasional pot hole. The run flats were just awful. In fact, I bent a wheel with them. I switched to Continental extreme contacts and although I had a problem with two of them being out of round at first Continental replaced them and the car is now just a joy to drive. It's MUCH quieter and smoother with absolutely no side wall steer. In fact I can hear the engine now when accelerating hard. With the run flats I couldn't hear the engine because of the road noise! The only problem with these tires is that because of the nylon plys they flat spot overnight. After driving about a mile they're fine. You don't need to convert the trunk for a spare but I did. The trunk kit is a spare tire and wheel, a mounting bracket and a different trunk floor pad. Not a big deal. It does take up some trunk room though. When I want to carry golf clubs I can still carry two bags. As stated I lay the long clubs down first but I take out the spare. I carry a can of flat fixer when I take out the spare. It's not that big a deal, one spin off nut and it lifts right out. How often do you get a flat? The difference in the ride with the regular tires is well worth that occasional inconvenience. After all, you're never going to get a lot of stuff in the trunk anyway.

BTW, I wrote to Lexus customer service about the run flats. They gave me a five hundred dollar credit towards service at my local Lexus dealer. They know the run flats are awful, you just have to complain enough.

I am thinking of getting non runflats for my 2002 sc430. Just when I had decided that the Michelin was the tire to get, I read someone's post that they were loud and no better than the runflats. I have read that the continentals are good but that they get flat spots, whatever that is. Is there a majority of opinion as to what the best non runflat is. I would think that all of the cars are the same so it shouldn't be that difficult. Why are people having different experiences with the same tire. I have no snow in So. california and I drive normally in everyday traffic. I want a tire that I don't notice is there and I want a ride I thought I would be getting with the car- soft, quiet and comfotable. Thanks for input- Mark

Any performance tire is going to make noise. I personally don't like Continental tires. And any tire is going to flat spot if you let it sit for days on end with no driving. No tire will flat spot over night unless it's 20 degrees out. I've been dealing with tires for years, so I feel confident that I know what I'm talking about. A tire might feel like it has flat spots, but that is just the tire heating up to temperature. Michelin tires are the best out on the market, that has been proven hundreds of times over. The Pilot Sport is one of, if not the best ultra performance tire out there. Bridgestone also makes extremely nice tires. Their Potenza S-02 line were incredible, and the 03's aren't bad. Dunlop makes affordable tires. Not bad, just affordable. NItto tires are hard, and are going to be very noisy do to the unimaginative tread pattern. What it really boils down to, is if you want a performance tire, it is going to be stiff, and it is going to make noise. The smaller the sidewall, the more twitchy and stiffer the car is going to be. Runflat tires are like bricks. Think of your car driving on bricks, the reason you have air pressure sensors in the tires from the factory is because if you looked a runflat with no air, and one overfilled, you can't tell the difference. I kid you not. I had a set of VERY stiff Potenza S-02 Pole positions on a car years ago, and when they were flat you couldn't tell. And I know the Runflats are worse. Run flat tires are a gimmick. Just like Aqua Tread, and Tire sealant in a can. Run Flats may be convienent, but they perform like crap. Auqa tread may move light rain, but if there is water on the ground, all it does is become water logged and make you spin. Tire sealant in a can is great, but it will eat your tire and cause major balancing issues. All of them do the job they are intended for, anything else, and they are below par.

There are a world of tires out there. I really suggest you look around. There probably 100 combinations of tires you could go with on your car, I would do research as to exactly what you want out of your tire, and your car. And go that route. If you feel like you are at a dead end, PM me, and tell me what you want, I would be glad to give you some suggestions. I did it for a living for 3 years, and continue to answer friend's questions to this day. At the time I was certified by Michelin, BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Bridgestone/Firestone, and Dunlop on their tires. If you don't enjoy the rubber touching the ground, you won't enjoy driving. Tires are what make or break the car's feel on the road. Just do some research before you jump into something.