Cv Joint

Ok, today I got my engine flushed and tranny fluid flushed and changed as well as the tranny filter.

My mechanic told me that both of my front CV joint boots are ripped and are spewing grease and lube all around and I need to get them replaced before my CV joints blow.

He quoted me at 298 for parts and 135 for labor. I have no idea about pricing for repairs, does this seem reasonable? He's a local mechanic and we've been dealing with him for years and he seems to be extremely honest and reliable. They've even done some work for free for us, so we trust them, but this seems a little pricey. Any thoughts?

skeemer

298 for parts is high. You can get reman. half shafts for less that a C-note each. Labor is a little over an hour for each side.

I agree with ellieoh, you can do better on price. Is your mechanic getting the shafts from Toyota, Lexus or a third party supplier. They may cost most from Lexus and less form Toyota but may be the same part.

steviej

Hello, I have mine replaced 2 months ago, bought parts from toyota dealer for under $100 (don't remember exactly but both sides for under $100), and the local mechnic did it for $160 labor, mine is 96 es300, told the dealer it's a 96 camry v6.

btw-it is weird if you have dealer do the job, they will charge $358.91 for parts and $526.73 for labor?! then they will give you a free car wash that you don't really need.