03 Rx 300 Not Going Into Gear

kenpomasta

I just got stuck with my 03 RX 300 AWD (50k miles) on saturday night. Was driving it, turned down a road that was closed due to a accident, went to do a K turn, backed up, went to put it in drive, and no no forward gears. reverse still works, but no drive gears along with the park isnt working, car was rolling back in park, had to keep the parking brake on cause I was on a hill. I just bought this car in march from lexus as a CPO. Got it towed to lexus cant wait to see what they say on monday morning. Im just a little *BLEEP*ed LOL. 50k on the car if the trans went. I know they are a weak trans but 50k come on lol..

On a positive note, roadside assistance was actually nice LOL. Only took the flatbed 15 mins to get to me. After I got dropped off, Lexus roadside called me to make sure everything was fine. Figured I would be nice to the lady on the other end cause it wasnt her fault thier suv sucks LOL.

If they tell me something is not covered I am going to flip, and prob go very hostile on them, cause I was already *BLEEP*ed off @ them, cause the salesmen had told me that I got a loaner on any servicing they do, cause he told me to schedule the 1st servicing with them with 2 weeks notice to make sure I got a loaner, vs what I was told by servicing that it needs to qualify for a loaner, and just reg servicing doenst qualify. I might just give the salesmen a piece of my mind anyway hehe.

well you do have the infamous AWD rx300. Its no surprise here at 50K, but i wouldsay since you bought it as a CPO, you should get some sort of warranty yes? also not to bash on lexus, my AWD rx300 went up to 90K with no tranny problems what so ever.

Also find a better lexus dealership if you have one near you. I make appointments maybe 3-4 days in advance and i always get a loaner...always

Your Lexus should be covered by the warranty. Do Not take any other anwer than it will be covered. You are under 60k miles and that is it. Suggest you have the tranny fluid changed every 15k miles after you get the new transmission. Sorry about your failure, good luck.

If the vehicle was rolling in park i would bet it has to do with a gear selector sensor. Since mechanically it not moving forward and not going into park to physically allow the parking pall to activate it is not gear related.

I just had a somewhat similar prob with my 03 AWD rx300's transmission a few weeks ago. Whenever i switched from R to D the engine would shut off, and a few times when i went from P to D it would act like it's in neutral.

I checked the transmission fluid & it was a little low. I topped it off and haven't had any symptoms since :)

I can't wait ti hear what Lexus has to say about your problem :angry:

Lexus told me that the pump inside the tranmission stopped working. so that it didnt move around the fliud inside the trans. so then the trans burned up. New transmission for me. All covered. They have me a RX 350 to drive for the week. Still not happy that only 50k on the car and the trans went. But I guess thats what I get for buying the RX 300. Ill keep it till the warranty expires.

They had asked me if I wanted to extend the CPO warranty from 3 years 100k to 5 years 100k when I bought it. I had declined when I bought it casue I didnt think I needed it. Now Im thinking that I should have got the extended 5 years. Anyone know if you can get the warranty extended now. or is it too late?

I got the extended CPO warranty when i got mine (now i'm glad i did!)

At that time, i asked them if i could decide to get the extended warranty "later" & they told me i could, it just wouldn't be the same price.

Sorry to hear your transmission went too :unsure: I know how you feel though!

The 350 is a nice car. Its a little bigger then the 300. Got a call today when my car was suppose to be done, they told me a axle is bad also. So they have to replace that also. So I wont see my car till sometime next week :( I guess this car was taken care of LOL. I wonder what else is going to go wrong.

• 13 years later...

Pls I am a Nigerian and in Nigeria. I have Lexus RX330 at 105k. I’m experiencing the same problem. Once I gear it to drive it stops. I have spent so much working on it from one local mechanic to the other to no avail. Can Lexus sell new gearbus to me pls? How do I get it here in Nigeria. I cannot buy fairly used gearbus in this country cuz I don’t trust any of it. I really need an assistance here. The whole experience is heart wrenching considering I bought that car with my entire savings just to commute to work. Yes I bought it from a friend that travelled oversees. It had no problem few months ago when they bought it until I went to work on the shaft and that’s it. 
Pls help...