Result Of Mods To Sc400

Smoothe my boy - No particular reason I saved my EGR system...Maybe to create less work for me, save the environment, save the whales, and huge a tree maybe?

Seriously, It was just easier to keep intact...I was also hoping by keeping the EGR system intact I would continue to pass emissions tests...I was wrong....

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yeah, your in California. I keep forgeting the strict emmisions they have there. You see, that would make me go full stand alone ECU then. I would have a seperate emmissions fuel map for that day saved on my computer. Run full out turbo hp race maps or street maps, then switch maps, go in and get emmisions tested, go home and switch back. Is that how it works? you go in once a year or something and get the sticker?

So seriously, what do you have planned for the next move on the SC? You have to fix this tranny thing once and for all. I looked into the TH400, and to be honest, I think that's one of the best options.

Smoothe, my next move may be to sell it... I have been thinking of buying a C6 Vette and then boosting the LS1 motor with a couple of rear mounted exhaust turbo's...

Financially to do the necessary needed tranny upgrades and then slap on a boost application on it like you Smoothe just doesn't make financial sense to me... After all my SC4 is a 92, but in showroom condition.. It just simply isn't worth much...So any money I put into it I will never get back...Unlike a newer C6 Vette... See my point?

I have a friend with a C6 boosted Vette and it spanks me everytime... Fast, nice, and rips...It pushes over 500whp with the turbo's...I like it....

Yes I know one person whom dropped a TH400 in an SC400...Alot of fab work was needed to pull it off... Bellhousing adaptor, driveshaft alteration, gearing changes I think, mounts, etc..

It gets involved but is doable...

Yeah, but then your not the underdog anymore. You know? But I completely understand the financials. We all lose money it's just a matter of controlling how much, and still be fast!! LOL!!!

I sometimes wish 20 dollar bills had a 200 hp burn. I could just stuff the tank with them and jet around town, and probably be cheaper!!! LOL!!!!

A C6 vette huh? I don't know, they are nice cars no doubt. But, with how much you have worked on your SC, and have familiarized yourself with the Toyota line, I think you would be way happier with a Supra TT or an IS 300 like mine, and then just keep doing what you want to it. The 2JZ platform is awsome. Once I complete my next motor build, (I am buying a new block and doing a ground up engine build, Carillo rods, Wiseco pistons, AARP bolts, P&P head, titanium valves, HKS cam, STS intake, and then bump up the turbo to a T67. I should finish in the 700 rwhp range. Of course I'm switching to the Getrag then also, so that will be the end of that issue also. I looking at a block for 600, and I'm pricing all the other items out now.

That's wild, wish there was an article on it.

Theres a guy in the Club Lexus forum that has one also. He changed the gearing in the rearend also, he pushes over 600 rwhp now and says he's had no problems. Bell housing adaptor, reweld brackets and support, new sensor adaptors, and wham!!

Smoothe there is saying for the 2jz Supra's.... "What's the difference between a 500hp supra and 1000hp supra is that they both do the quarter mile in 11 seconds....

I do like the Supra TT very much with the six speed V160's...... However, as you know they are very heavy sportscars and the 2jz will never give you that powerful lowend grunt which I now enjoy with the v8 motors... Off the line power is big for me and is unfortunately compromised with the 2jz's until the boost comes on.. ... The C6 vette covers both of those issues where the Supra's simply do not... I just can't see myself going with an inline six motor ever again no matter how strong it is built or how well it designed to except boost...

The LS1 motors I know alot about... Infact, I grew up on Chebby's....I am old school... Not afraid to go American, even though I know Toyota rocks and is more reliable.....

We will see what happens....

PS. The IS models are nice looking but a little too small.... I am a tall guy..

Well, ok. And yeah, Ima ole chebby luber myself. In fact I'm looking at this 67 Camaro for sale, but I think it's one project at a time for me. My very first car was a 69 Camaro RS. I loved that beast! I have pictures of it on my other computer. I'll post em so you can see it later. So I would love the 72 Camaro also, but those are hot rod projects. Different class.

Oh and btw,

"What's the difference between a 500hp supra and 1000hp supra is that they both do the quarter mile in 11 seconds....

I have a freind, I know, I know!! LOL!! But really, I do, and his Supra is cracking 8 sec runs. I can show you the video later also.

Smoothe, I know most Supra's move and a few really move...It's just a saying and stereotype...

I personally love the old muscle cars myself...67 Camaro, 68 Pontiac Firebird conv, 65 Mustang, etc..etc.. I am always looking to restore one of those old beauty's.. When restored and clean they are usually worth a small fortune for resale too... The old Vette's are nice as well, Ford Boss, Baricuda, Nova SS, I am sure I am forgetting some more...Just love those old rust buckets...

I've owned a late sixties SS Nova as my first hotrod when I was in my teens....I Got it moving decently with all the basic mods on that 350 SBC motor...I've owned a few FJ40 landcruisers with the small block chevy's sitting under the hood as well back in the day...Then I discovered Lexus....

Ok, here you go Jibby bro:

My first car:

post-42851-1199408295_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199408301_thumb.jpg

Then I bought this 72' stock and neglected,

post-42851-1199408337_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199408344_thumb.jpg

I never really finished it, but 425 hp, and 90% restored:

post-42851-1199408353_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199408361_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199408369_thumb.jpg

Heres my dads pride and joy. We call it "Angel". He freaks out if someone he doesn't know even strays to close to it!! LOL!!

It's a 1968 Ford Shebly Mustang GT 500 KR

post-42851-1199408647_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199408659_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199408666_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199408672_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199408687_thumb.jpg

His life is now complete! LOL!!!!!

So I have also built :

1986 Grand National

post-42851-1199409079_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199409090_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199409103_thumb.jpg

Which introduced me to the world of turbos. So later I got this: (1994 RX7)

post-42851-1199409167_thumb.jpgpost-42851-1199409207_thumb.jpg

Iv'e had a few other cars, and projects along the way. Iv'e helped my dad quite a bit on his racing project. Also for a few years I raced Motorcycles. I had a 1996 Honda CBR 900 and also raced a CBR 600.

And now I have moved to the Lexus IS 300 project.

Dude, you had a GN.... Sweet I am quite fond of those supercharged 6 banger cars...With a few mods they can really move... If they weren't so shabby looking on the insides I might still own one today... What made you get rid of it?

I also had a few CBR900RR in my motorcycle days...Nice bikes overall but not as powerful as the competition...Honda is good with engineering their bikes....One of my favorites...

Well, I live near the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Deals Gap.( 217 curves in 17 miles!!) So I would take the 900 up there and Dunlop 204's and shred them for a few days. But I loved that bike. Of course I had head work, piped and jetted, full race grears and MX sprockets. She would go into a full wheel stand in second, and dropped 1/4 miles in 10 seconds. Not bad for the good ole days.

The CBR 600 was my race bike. I stopped for awhile, then went back in and raced a Suzuki GSXR for a couple years again, but now I'm out for good. Gettin old sucks the big one! But atleast I walked away from bike racing with out a limp!! LOL!!

Yeah, my Buick was a bad boy. When we finished it was dropping 540 rwhp, and spankin just about everything. And while I loved how the car looked, I just couldn't get next to the interior, ( it was sooooo my dad's urban cruiser looking.) I allways felt like I was barrowing it from him when I went anywhere. Also, the handling on that car sucked bad!!! Over the years I have come to understand that high hp does not equal a fast car. So, someone made me an offer at a show and I sold it. Hence now the IS 300. This car, when I'm done, is going to be the fastest car I think I have ever owned.

I too had a semi drag bike...WOW this thing was a rocket...A stretched and lowered GSXR 1100 bored to a 1300...Jetted carbs, single straight no muffler pipe, gearing, etc... You could not floor the bike in 1rst gear, second was down right scary, front wheel would pop up or the big rear tire would break loose under full throttle...Third gear was manageble if you could hang on...I should have died on that bike and I am lucky I sold it when I did.... I also had a stock CBR900RR, it was smoothe..

The Grand Nationals are legendary and those engines are very solid and comparable even too the 2jz's in some ways... Handling and interior looks are painful for sure.... Today a clean one is still worth a pretty penny... When built those GN's are so tough to beat....

Oh man, that sounds really fast!!! Damn! Ahh, the good ole days!! LOL!! I am kinda shocked at how much alike we really are!!!

The Grand Nationals are legendary and those engines are very solid and comparable even too the 2jz's in some ways... Handling and interior looks are painful for sure.... Today a clean one is still worth a pretty penny... When built those GN's are so tough to beat....

Well, now you understand my attraction to the IS 300!!! A quick story for ya. Orlando Speedway is our home track around here. It has a 1/2 mile oval and a 1/4 mile drag. This freind of ours Daryl, has an 86 GN, built to the hilt. He runs it out at OS all the time, and he wins most of the time. He's allways talking about how the car is much faster than he runs it, but he's really good at nailing 9 sec. times very consistantly. Last year, Henny brought out thier Viper. It was heads up, winner take all street fights. So I talked to Daryl and he said he was gonna run also as the grand prize was like 7500 bucks!!!

All day that Viper was killing em, and braking at the 1000' mark!! I watched it run a couple of times and knew it was atleast a low 8 runner. I told Daryl, and he said "Oh yeah?, Then this is gonna be good!"

They met in the semi-finals, Daryl hit a 1.04 60' and dropped a 6.96 1/4 mile!!!!!!!!! at 203 mph!! The Viper dropped a 7.35.!! Afterwards when I told him how awsome that was, he told me (in secret), his car dyno'd at just under 1600 hp, with the spray and turbos openned wide.

Oh, but it's not the 6 cyl. motor though. He runs a 560 Aluminum beast!! But it does still look like a Grand National!! LOL!!!

That's a story.. I've seen a twin turbo viper rip it up... Crazy fast...

Yeah, the GN is a nice street rod... You can take any car to the limits with huge engine swap and big boost... Run nitrous to get it moving until the boost kicks in...

I was just saying for your basic street rods the GN always gets respect... Kinda like the Supra TT's... I would still take a clean one today just to say I owned one...

• 1 year later...