1995 Lexus Sc400 - Sporadic Miss

Several months ago I was driving along and my car started to miss pretty bad. The check engine light would come on intermitently as well. I took it to a local repair shop and he performed a diagnostic check and informed me that the check engine light was on due to a code #13 fault in the ecm. Subsequently, his recommendation was to perform a tuneup on the car and I agreed. When I picked up the car it was running smooth, so I thought all would be well. :angry: Unfortunately, several days passed and while driving on the highway I noticed that the car was missing just slightly and only for a few seconds. I also noticed that when the car started to miss, the check engine light would come on as well; however, after a few minutes the light would go out.

I took it back to the repair shop and had the techician run a new diagnostic check and low and behold, the same error code (#13 RPM Circuit shorted or open ) or something to that effect was present again. :censored: At this point the techician stated that it could possibly be th coil or some other devise that looks as though it is connected to the trottle body.

The car runs smooth for the most part and only during those few seconds do I notice any degradation in performance. My concern is this. Lexus parts are not cheap and I don't won't to have to spend thousand of dollar trying to fix something that may only require spending sevaral hundred dollars.

So my question is this, if anyone has had a similar experience, please advise as to what was the root cause as well as any solution that may be applicable to this issue.

Thanks, and have a very pleasant day.

Sincerely,

Todd

You have a crank sensor issue ,it may have been damged on a previours timing belt change. Have it and its wiring looked at.

Hey SK,

That's what I thought, so I replaced the crank sensor and I'm still having the same issue. My next theory leads me to the igniters. Unfortunately, they are a tad bit on the pricey side but I can't really see it being anything else. And I would hate to have to spend five or six hundred dollars and still not have the problem resolved.

Thanks again for the feedback and I'll let you know if I am succesful.

Ciao,

Todd

You have a crank sensor issue ,it may have been damged on a previours timing belt change. Have it and its wiring looked at.

I do have one other question though. When I replaced the timing belt, I noticed what looked to be like mabe cam position sensors. There was one on each side...I do recall one of the wires on the left side getting pulled out and I replaced it as best I could. Do you think that may be the culprit?

Todd

• 8 months later...

Hey SK,

It's been awhile I know; however, the issue was the cam sensors. I replace both and that corrected the problem...

Now I really love my Lex....

Ciao,

Jitters

Wow. My condolances on the loss of your dad. My mom passed in June of 2006 and I understand how you feel...

Best Regards,

Jitters