Bump Stops

My Uncles 1994 Lexus ES300 suspension is in great shape but his rear end of his car makes a thumping noise when he goes over small bumps. Now I read that if your bump stop are drie that they start to make noise is this true and does anyone have any suggestions on how to lube these bump stops.

My Uncles 1994 Lexus ES300 suspension is in great shape but his rear end of his car makes a thumping noise when he goes over small bumps. Now I read that if your bump stop are drie that they start to make noise is this true and does anyone have any suggestions on how to lube these bump stops.

This may be from sway bar grommets that are dried out from age/use, as it was with my 1996 ES300. I accidently ordered 2 sets of repacement urethane ones to fix the problem (it did for me, anyhow). They are better, because they are higher durometer (harder and much more responsive) than the OEM rubber ones. That back bar is key to tight turn in response, so this is a good place to start either way. Let me know if you are interested, it will save me the eBay listing effort!

The "bump stops" are for large bumps not small bumps, so I would check the rear struts to see if the shock absorbers are doing their job properly.

The "bump stops" are for large bumps not small bumps, so I would check the rear struts to see if the shock absorbers are doing their job properly.

okay then what preventive messures should I take so it wont happen to my 1996 ES300, as far as the bump stops and strut mounts are concerned?

• 1 year later...

This may be from sway bar grommets that are dried out from age/use, as it was with my 1996 ES300. I accidently ordered 2 sets of repacement urethane ones to fix the problem (it did for me, anyhow). They are better, because they are higher durometer (harder and much more responsive) than the OEM rubber ones. That back bar is key to tight turn in response, so this is a good place to start either way. Let me know if you are interested, it will save me the eBay listing effort!

I didn't realize you could just replace the gromments and not the entire sway bar or side bars. How do you do this?

John