Transmission Parts

lexes

Hi guys,

a newbie needs your help here. First off, thanks for a great website. Second, I searched but could not find what I'm looking for.

I'm planning on doing trans fluid change which includes dropping the pan and changing the FILTER (from my search it's a filter NOT a screen for my es 97 91k). Does any1 know a place/link for instructions on how to do it? I have come accross instructions for drain and fill only.

Can any1 provide the part numbers for transmission pan gasket, plug gasket and the transmission filter? This is what a Lexus dealer told: "THERE IS NO TRANS FILTER IN THESE CARS THERE IS A STAINER WE DO NOT CHANGE..." what is a stainer? Could they be mistaken my 97 with 98 and up which indeed have a screen from what I gathered? Any way I really need the part number for the transmission filter for an es 97 so I can buy it. Also, is it OK to go with non-genuine for the gaskets (for convenience)? I always do genuine for my car.

I read one of the posts about using RTV together with gasket. Can some1 tell me what it is?

Thanks much for any help/comments.

lexes

my 02 ES does not have a filter. It has a mesh screen (or strainer) that acts as a filter. It can be removed and cleaned, rinsed and replaced. You can buy a new one if you want but why unless the one in there is visibly damaged. When I recently dropped my pan, I used a OEM gasket and no RTV. RTV is a goopy sealant that mechanics swear by and usually better than a cork gasket.

Now keep in mind that if you just drain and then drop your pan, you will only be changing ~4 qts of fluid. This is about 1/3 of the total volume in the tranny system. If you are hooking it up to a flush machine then you will need about 14 qts to do the complete flush.

try www.newlexusparts.com

fill in your car information under mechanical parts and try looking up the parts yourself.

I have purchased from them before and the prices are better than you local Lexus parts counter.

steviej

Thanks alot guys for your comments.

I decided not to do the flush (although I'd love to) due to the mileage on the car as well as the maintance history. I will do drain and fill number of times over some period to get the old fluid out as much as I can.

can some1 pls confirm that I need to replace the FILTER in my 97? Can I buy the strainer (or mesh screen) for 98 and up and put it iin my 97?

thanks much