Talked To Death I Know, Power Steering Pump

asifmbadar

as:

I am going to clean the screen out asap.

Good deal!...............

As for the flow control valve.. I think I'm at a loss there because I gave in my old p/s pump for the core charge. =( Am I doomed?

It will probably depend entirely on what happens after you've cleaned the screen. When I replaced my P/S pump, I purchased a "Maval" (brand) pump. I think they are in Cleveland or somewhere like that. You could call them and ask if they could help you out with a valve. There are different letter designations for different pressure/flow rate valves. I think mine were "E" & "F", respectively.

If you call them, they will probably ask you what you have in the P/S Pump presently. So, you should probably disconnect the high pressure hose, remove the pressure port union & pull the flow control valve out. It will have a letter engraved on it. Pulling the valve is a lot easier than I just desrcibed it above.

I am going to try cleaning the screen this weekend, see if that helps.

Good luck & keep us posted.......

Hi,

I was having a noise, a groan (pump cavitating) from the system in the mornings untill it warmed up. No leaks as of yet.

I read a massive post on here about a guy who had a nightmare after cleaning his PS solenoid, so I followed the super helpfull LexLS guide to flushing out the power steer fluid instead.

All was going well untill the hose from the return into the bucket came apart where my shoddy temporary join was. this resulted in 1/2 litre of PS fluid all over the driveway and spattered all over the engine bay, at the same time what I can only describe as a big burp came from the resevior.

After I stopped, cleaned up and decided that I'd done enough 3 litres used including spillage (thought I'd probably blown out the pump seals) I seemed to have the resevoir overfilled so had to suck some out.

My question for anyone who has messed with the PS system are:-

Did you see dramatic effects after flushing?

Did you have a 'burp' during the process? (airated oil appears in resevoir)

Do you think there is somewhere in the system that air can stay trapped that this process can remove?

Do I risk pulling/cleaning the PS coil?

The long and short is it's now super quiet and the steer wheel effort is even lower than before. :D

Went through a multi storey car park in Birmingham this afternoon and I did it with the windows down just to hear the engine for once, not the PS pump whine when cold!

Hi,

I was having a noise, a groan (pump cavitating) from the system in the mornings untill it warmed up. No leaks as of yet.

I read a massive post on here about a guy who had a nightmare after cleaning his PS solenoid, so I followed the super helpfull LexLS guide to flushing out the power steer fluid instead.

All was going well untill the hose from the return into the bucket came apart where my shoddy temporary join was. this resulted in 1/2 litre of PS fluid all over the driveway and spattered all over the engine bay, at the same time what I can only describe as a big burp came from the resevior.

After I stopped, cleaned up and decided that I'd done enough 3 litres used including spillage (thought I'd probably blown out the pump seals) I seemed to have the resevoir overfilled so had to suck some out.

My question for anyone who has messed with the PS system are:-

Did you see dramatic effects after flushing?

Did you have a 'burp' during the process? (airated oil appears in resevoir)

Do you think there is somewhere in the system that air can stay trapped that this process can remove?

Do I risk pulling/cleaning the PS coil?

The long and short is it's now super quiet and the steer wheel effort is even lower than before. :D

Went through a multi storey car park in Birmingham this afternoon and I did it with the windows down just to hear the engine for once, not the PS pump whine when cold!

Alex:

The long and short is it's now super quiet and the steer wheel effort is even lower than before.

If the P/S steering effort is acceptable to you, I would leave well enough alone & find something else to work on for a while. No sense in fixing it if it's not broken....... :whistles:

• 1 year later...

Many thanks to Threadcutter for the info on the flow control valve differences. I replaced alternator/ PS pump today and having read this I checked the valves. "D" in my old one and "F" in my replacement. Swapped the "D" to my fresh pump and it drives like a champ. I would have been very disappointed to have spent those dollars and hours ending up wondering if my new pump had a problem. You ever need anything TC, I'm at Redshirt28@hotmail.com.