Broken Timing Belt

I just completed my engine job and decided to keep my slightly worn top (#2) idler pulley. It was making a slight noise but I figured I could live with that for a while. While driving at about 35mph the belt just up a broke!!! I'm told not to worry as my valves shouldn't be affected. Is this true?

Should I change the tensioner pulley (#1)? It spins fine, has no sound when spinning but has a slight in and out play.

Hi,

Myself when changing a timing belt its worth changing any pulleys that show signs of wear at the same time or all the work you have done is done for nothing if something breaks as in your case.

Id put money on valve damage to your engine.

Chips

There won't be valve damage. There's nothing to cause damage.

Just re-align the cams, and crank to #1 TDC. Install a belt, replacement idler pulley & think about changing the water pump, depending on it's age. (Yes replace the idler pulley, you can just buy a whole big ole kit & repalce all of them.)

Hi:

Can a warped crankshaft pulley contribute to a broken timing belt. I just noticed that mine is warped. I 've never looked at it before so I don't know if it was warped before or as a result of the engine removal and replacement or the belt job.

THere's also a sound (hissing ) from the right side of the engine bay only when the car is running. I thought it could be rust on the rotors as the car was down for a while and it rains quite a bit out here.

A hissing sound will likely be a vacuum leak, or a leak in the pre air sensor intake.

AFA the crankshafts being warped. No, they're forged steel. Unless you've torched a bearing, or had a rod go funky, it shouldn't be warped.

You sure it's warped, or an optical illusion?

AFA the crankshafts being warped. No, they're forged steel. Unless you've torched a bearing, or had a rod go funky, it shouldn't be warped.

You sure it's warped, or an optical illusion?

Sorry, not the crankshaft itself but the pulley (that the alternator and power steering belts run on) that is keyed onto the crankshaft. THe one you have to pull off to get to the crankshaft sproket.

I'll attach a video tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

the part (main crankshaft pulley ) is called a harmonic balancer. they run about a hundred bucks. mine fell apart at a stoplight. the outer ring just fell off, leaving me without an alternator or an air conditioner, but the car still drove fine. the rubber is supposed to dampen the shock placed on the crankshaft by the torque of each piston firing. the wrench required to get mine off was a huge 750 footpound impact wrench. not something found at your average home tool kit since those run more than 600 bucks.

Thanks again for all the posts guys. I realized that I had to reset my timing belt due to high engine temps, poor performance when cold, and failure to get past 140km/h...all of this after a port n' polish, and broken timing belt. I did this about a week ago and did the afm mod along with changing the crank pulley( I used a torque handle and impact wrench socket...after breaking 3 regular sockets).

THe car now runs to 160km/h very quickly and has a very aggressive launch at near to and full throttle...decent tire spin.

Next on the list of mods is an improved downpipe and cat deletion.