Very Odd Occurance

Otto

I have a very odd occurance on my 1990 ls, when i brake my reverse light on the gear selection indicator lights up, this turns the dash lights out because when you put the car in reverse the dash lights go out to increase rear view visibility. it happens a bit and then stops and then it will occur again in a few weeks. always after i have backed up and then put car into drive, something is sticking... i think. any input is welcomed.

sounds like a common problem you will find elsewhere on the site. You have a short in the wiring in the trunk hinge. Looking in the trunk, it is the hinge on the left.

UPDATED- Looks like I was just beat to the posting by a few minutes. 1990ls400, you're quick!

Jim: Thank you for the great input, i really appreciate it, my brakes were also very grabby as described in the thread when it acted up really bad once crossing the mojave, heat tends to exponentiate electrical faults.

thank you for sharing your knowledge.