How To Fix Your Speedometer Needle

chubyball

Finally I got my speedo needle to work right again. The problem that I had was the needle sometimes play dead and sometimes work fine. It is weird when it does not work properly. The symptom is that that the speedo kind of jumpie when it does not work right.

For example, one morning I started up the car and drive and the speed needle still play dead but the odor meter still work fine. I tried to change gear or accelerate the car, hopefully the yoke of the sensor may get the needle to work again. Well, it did. The needle bounced real quick up to 20 or sometimes 40 miles/per depend on the speed you were driving.

The solution to this problem is replacing the speed sensor, I purchase the sensor at Autozone for $80.00. I only need to bought one even though there are 2 speed sensor. If you look at my attach document you will know why I only bought one sensor.

How troubleshoot the problem, first you need to disconnect the sensor from the electrical wire then drive it around the block, you will see the odometer and speedo needles, both are not work because they both are connected to the same sensor, where it connected near the drivesharft (end of transmission).

Replace the old one with new one with clean them real good. Don't over tight it, the sensor will damage from cracking. My advice to those who works under the car, don’t get under unless you know your car is on the ramp or the stand, and don’t forget to place a stop at your rear tires to prevent the car from moving.

Toyota_Speed_sensor.pdf

Hi All,

Just a word of caution before you buy the sensor. I have a 93 with the classic speedo and Tach not working problem.

If you watch your odometer when the speedo is not working and it is counting up it is NOT the speed sensor. If it does not count chances are good it is the speed sensor.

Still have not been able to find a repair shop for the two problems. Has anyone been successful in repairing this annoying problem?

Hi All,

Just a word of caution before you buy the sensor. I have a 93 with the classic speedo and Tach not working problem.

If you watch your odometer when the speedo is not working and it is counting up it is NOT the speed sensor. If it does not count chances are good it is the speed sensor.

Still have not been able to find a repair shop for the two problems. Has anyone been successful in repairing this annoying problem?

Only repair I've found is to tap on the dash while underway and the needle(s) jump into place.

• 4 months later...

No tapping here. A swift punch of the dash always works. :)

Your solution suggests to me a possible permanent fix.

While fixing my flickering dash light problem I noticed that the meters attach to the printed circuit board (PCB) with screws and flat washers. As an electrical engineer I recognize this as a very poor way to make a connection. The problem is fourfold: 1)the PCB has a different coefficient of expansion than the screw. 2) the PCB is somewhat plastic and when compressed exhibits a property called "cold flow"; that is the board flattens under pressure. 3) Thermal cycling will cause the connection between the PCB and screw to loosen due to the other two factors. 4) A mechanical connection between 2 conducting materials can and will probably corrode over time unless noble materials are used such as gold.

One solution to this problem is to add some spring to the system such as a lockwasher. The lockwasher allows for a connection to be maintained even during thermal cycling and cold flow. A lockwasher, one that has teeth on it, will bite into the PBC and screw head and form a gas tight connection that won't corrode under normal conditions.

If I start having this problem I plan to remove the instrument cluster, remove the screws and replace the flat washers with either a standard lockwasher of a star washer.

All,

Been watching EBAy to find someone to fix my speedo & tach. Saw the following company and asked specifically if they fix the guages. I attached their Email rewpnse. Looks as it they can fix all the problems. They were cheap $175 compared to $400 for another company. Let me know if any of you try it. Sounds great!!

Ron

Hello,

This repair includes testing and repairing all of the following problems:

Backlight Probelms

* Backlight flickering,

* Backlight completely out,

* Temperature-sensitive backlight.

Needle Problems

* Faded Needles,

* Intermittant needle lighting,

* If you have a needles that are broken or completely dark all the time, we can replace them for $75 per needle.

Gauge Problems

* Sluggish/non-working fuel gauge,

* Intermittant speedometer. tachometer, temp gauge failure.

Thank You,

Kecia

BBA Remanufacturing, Inc.

6 McCabe St

South Dartmouth, MA 02748

Toll Free: (866) 573-2740

Local: (508) 997-1420

http://www.bba-reman.com

• 10 years later...

so my speedo stopped working today too... I'm curious, how many miles are on the cars experiencing this issue???  Mine only has 49k miles...  Lexus aren't supposed to brake this early :)

so my speedo stopped working today too... I'm curious, how many miles are on the cars experiencing this issue???  Mine only has 49k miles...  Lexus aren't supposed to brake this early :)

Automotive components deteriorate over time regardless of miles driven.  That's why the timing belt replacement interval for your 1997 LS400 is 90,000 miles or 6 years - whichever comes first.  The cause of speedometer and tachometer failures is usually the failure of components on the circuit board behind them.

• 2 months later...