Best Engine Oil For 100k Miles Ls400

sebastor

I have a 98 LS400 I brought used with only 18,000 miles. I started using synthetic oil last November. I think I am using 10w30 Mobil 1 oil. I live in New York, I think the oil should be fine? How long can I drive before change the oil? Right now, I use the 5000 miles 6 months interval. I put on about 5000 to 6000 miles per year.

I used Mobil1 5W/30 synthetic in my last oil change a few weeks ago. That's my first oil change since I've bought the car. My friend swears by synthetic and he says his '99 Tahoe runs much cooler since he switched to it last year. Cooler = more power.

i bought 6 pack of 5w MOBIL 1 in costco today for 23$

I got a Mobile 1 synthetic oil change at Wal Mart for $27. You can't beat the price of a Wally oil change. They even vacuum your car!

But did you bring in your own filter? ;)

i bought 6 pack of 5w MOBIL 1 in costco today for 23$

I got a Mobile 1 synthetic oil change at Wal Mart for $27. You can't beat the price of a Wally oil change. They even vacuum your car!

But did you bring in your own filter? ;)

No, Wal Mart uses FRAM. The Wally oil change includes a new filter as well.

Plenty said, but more anecdotal evidence from me. I have used Mob1 10w-30 in my wife's Ford Expedition (97) since it had about 50k miles. I have been thoroughly impressed with the performance of the oil. I grew up in an autoparts store (NAPA) and I am used to hearing mechanics gossip about oil and old wives tales of one mineral oil is better than the other. I agree with the post that basically said that all Dino oils are basically equal and definitely inferior to synthetics. I know a Doctor of ChemE who worked on the Mob I research project 10 years ago in New Jersey. He has some very interesting insights as to why the product is so good. I did not meet him, until after my wifes SUV had 140k miles on it. We have done nothing to the engine and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. When I started running Mob 1, I started changing every 6,000 miles and still no prob's. The SUV now has 166k miles and still going strong. We all know that domestic engines are inferior to what is under the hood of the LS. I bought my LS (1990) when it had 125k miles, I have no problem changing to synthetic. My car runs better and I know I am taking good care of it. It now has 145k and runs great.

A little off of the subject, but if you want your tranny to last forever, get it pumped out (not just drop the pan) and get all of the old transmission fluid out every 30-45k miles. Any quick lube will do it for around $60. We had some shifting problems in my wifes SUV when it was new (30k miles) and we started doing the flushes every 30-45k. At 166k it is still going strong. Not too many Ford 4 spd electronic tranny's make it that far, so it is a great thing to do for your LS too! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Just my .02 with alot of experience. Synthetics are fantastic and I run them in all of my performance cars (either Mobil 1 or Redline). However, in higher mileage cars, synthetics seem to be able to find leaks better than dino based oil. If you have any leaking whatsoever, I would not recommend synthetic. My LS400 had a minor leak in a cam seal and seemed to be burning a little bit of oil as well and I decided to start running Valvoline Max Life. I have seen all kinds of snake oil in the car industry but this stuff is the real deal. Leak stopped and the oil consumption stopped. As a note, do NOT use Restore or any of that PTFE based garbage. They will do more harm than good in a Lexus.