Atf Fluid What Type ?

sebastor

I have 91 ls400 with 151k miles. Trany is smooth but not

as smooth as it us to be. I checked color on tf and it's light brown.

I bought that car a year ago and have not changed it yet.

Who knows when the guy changed it. I am changing it soon.

I read on net that only Toyota type II or Type IV is compatible.

Now some guys are using type IV and say that after to switch

to type IV its like brand new trany....smooth.

What is the the difference between Type II vs Type IV ?

Is one better or should stick with type II.

Now does lexus change all 12q of atf or just 4q.

Most of the places now change all 12quarts.

A good rule of thumb is to always change the ATF fluid right after you buy a used car. Unless the previous owner can show you a receipt from a ATF fluid change in the last year. Some people will go 100K before changing their ATF or never change it all. I believe the interval is every 30K?

For some reason mechanics overfill our LS400's with too much ATF. That is how mine was when I had the ATF changed. The ATF was burning from too much volume. Too much is bad. You have to keep checking the level as you fill the ATF. A lot of the fluid is up in the torque converter so you can't go by the manual as every car can be different. You can't drain the torque converter, you can only replace and refill what comes out down at the filter. It can take 3 or more ATF changes to completely switch out old ATF. It's a hassle. They should have a drain at the back of the torque converter.

Yeah, Toyota type IV is great. Don't buy your ATF at a Lexus dealer unless you like big, thorny sticks jammed... Go to a Toyota parts counter.

Toddls400...thanx for your input and help.

I'm not sure if you are awere of this but a lot of oil change and aft change places not have machines (machine names differes) where they drain ALL ...12 QUARTS of fluid from trany and converter and whatever there is left. That machine has been in circulation for last 2 years at least. Bad thing about lexus dealer....they dont' have it so i bought 12 quarts of atf t-iv from lexus for $40 and will have that changed at that place that has that equipment. I RECOMMEND YOU TO DO THE SAME. Remember when they change your transmission fluid they only drain 3-4 quarts of fluid that is only 1/3 (33%) of atf. 67% of 11 yrs old fluid stays in there.....very baddddddddddd...

Anyway....neither toyota nor lexus no more sell atf in these 4 liter cans...at least not in illinois but only in quarts. Toyota wanted $73 for 12 quarts. Lexus got me deal for $40 for entire case (12q) but in maybe somerwhere else is different..i dont' know. I wish they would sell them in those 4 liter cans...only $25 for the can....good deal.