Why Do You Choose Lexus Suv?

lexusresearch

Hi, everyone, I am a new Lexus SUV owner, and I finally found this forum to exchange ideas with thousands of people who bought Lexus SUVs.

I am wondering why you choose Lexus instead of other famous luxurious SUV brands, such as Cadillac, Lincoln, Audi, BMW or Infinity?

well...i first had an rx300 and it was a brilliant car, absolutely brilliant. That is why i bought an rx330 next, and it is even more brilliant. Reliability, built quality, and dispite what other people think, i think lexus cars are styled pretty well. I dont like american cars, that rules out your above choices, audi did not have an SUV until last month with the Q7 and i just hate bmw in general. Mercedes has been down with reliability and i feel that infiniti doesnt come up to the standards of other luxury brands. Lexus just had the best to offer for the price, ie. backup camera, nav, and so on.

So that is the paragraph of how i chose the lexus. Now for why i bought an SUV. I like riding at a height that makes it easier to see things. I like having the edge when it rains, or even driving up to the snowy areas.

Enjoy the car and welcome!

I am wondering why you choose Lexus instead of other famous luxurious SUV brands, such as Cadillac, Lincoln, Audi, BMW or Infinity?

It came down to ta choice between the Merc (ML) or the Lexus. I have a distrust for American cars at the present (from experience) and while I think they may have improved recently I'll need to see that borne out over a few years before I'm willing to put out the serious money for one. As mentioned there was no Audi option until this year, I think Cayenne's are kind of ugly and I just don't get the "pefromance SUV" thing. I liked the Infinity FX's and test drove a couple but they were still really new when I got my Lexus and I just wasn't sure I could live with those looks, although I felt the Infinity quality was quite good. Early X5's seemed to have some build quality issues although I really liked the exterior styling but for some reason I remember them commandig a really premium price as compared to the rest. I also considered the Acura MDX but it was pretty dul in the styling dept but otherwise OK . It was also a bit bigger then the RX (as was the X5). Sooo to answer your question finally , I chose the Lexus because it had a great ride, great reputation for quality, decent styling and had some pretty functional utility. The Merc succeded in all these areas as well except for the rep for quality. I know people who own RXs and I know people who own Mercs (ML's) and after rides, drives and discussions with them it was the RX that won out and its lived up to what I thought it would be and more. It has not been perfect but its been pretty close.

Looks :) , reliability, safety, quality of interior materials (somewhat lacking in rx330 though in my opinion), & comfort most of all. I spend so many hours in my car, quality and comfort are a must!

Even though the Rx300 hasn't exactly been the most reliable car i have ever owned :whistles: it's still my favorite! My wife has a 2005 Ls430 and i still like the Rx300 better. To tell you the truth, she likes the Rx300 better too but i want her in the LS for safety. Now that we have our new baby, safety is number one!

I wanted to be able to trailer my motorcycle (yamaha r-6) to racetracks. Having kids prompted the SUV style. I did not want to drive a mountain like a Yukon. I was leaning toward the Jeep Cherokee Limited but reliability was a concern. I was not impressed with the Jeep dealership and wandered onto the Lexus lot.

The Lexus stickers were higher than the Jeep...but they were loaded. When a Jeep had leather, moonroof and all the other stuff the sticker prices were closer than I would have thought.

Along with the vehicle holding its value, customer service after the sale has more than justified the slightly higher cost.

No regrets.

Hi, I am so glad people come to share their experience with me...

But for me, my consideration in choosing Lexus SUV is simple, cuz of its brand.

I am not so techy, and I just feel I like Lexus. And definitely I will learn much more here from you guys from now on. :)

Hi, I just bought my first Lexus, a RX300 and I too am new to the forum. To tell the truth I was looking for a car to replace my worn out Acura Legend and was going to purchase a used RL but when my wife saw the beautiful Black RX 300 she wanted to drive it after we had already drove two Acuras. We were instantly convinced that this was a superior vehicle over the the two Acuras and a BMW we had looked at. The comfort and ride along with good power and handling was the reason we decided on the Lexus. It's a great car.

I didn't choose it - the wife did, it's her vehicle.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned in more than 36 years of driving. Even though it's been meticulously maintained, it has still suffered from all of the well-known RX300 AWD failures. If I had not been able to force Lexus to do all the required repairs on their dime, I would have sued Lexus and would have expected to win with full documentation and a long list of service history to back me up....

I chose the RX300 for my wife for a number of reasons. I have always bought Japaneese vehicles because of their reliability (with the exception of my Ford Explorer which was a big mistake which I paid for during the 9mos I had it). I bought an Acura TL for my wife, but the arrival of our daughter meant we really needed more room. I drove the MDX which I loved, but it was really bigger than we wanted and tough to fit into our garage. The RX300 was big enough without being a huge SUV. I love the AWD, which we really don't use all that much but it is a safety feature which I appreciate. Cost was also just right for our used 01' RX300. Rides great, it's quiet, and has all the options we wanted. Been getting 21-24MPG which for an AWD SUV is pretty darn good. I drive the TL now which I really prefer driving, but the RX300 is certainly not a bad second choice to take on a trip. Besides when we go to the mountains, I don't have to worry about the forcast with the RX.

My 2002 RX300 purchase (bought used) was because it is the perfect car/SUV/station wagon mix, IMO. We have a big Honda Odyssey so the RX is really our "car" not our big people hauler. No towing or hauling stuff from Home Depot, just a car that sits higher for my wife. Also, it has the most comfortable seats of any in this class.

The drive is smooth and comfortable, but NOT exciting. Cornering is more like a boat than a sports car. We prefer smooth comfort so it's perfect for us.

Used 2002 w/ 55k mi was 20K (FWD, not AWD). That seemed like a great deal for a luxury semi-SUV.

We love the RX300, btw.

The dealership. I would have rather bought a Murano...I prefer the style, features, and price of the Murano, but our local Nissan dealership wasn't competent enough to handle a test drive, so I shuddered to think of how they might handle a repair.

When I bought mine, I was doing plumbing work, driving about 1200 miles every week, and surfing in my spare time. I needed utiltity, comfort, reliablity, and decent mileage. The short answer is that the RX300 gave me all of that, and I've never had any problems with it.

The other cars I looked at were an Infinity QX, a Chevy Tahoe, Land Rover Discovery, Ford Escape, and an Acura MDX. I loved the seats in the Tahoe, but mileage and overall size ruled it out. The QX got atrocious milage for it's size and it was slow. The MDX was only available in AWD, and I wanted 2wd. The Discovery seemed small, had wierd ergonomics, and they are not a pillar of reliability.

So I was left to pick between a Ford Escape and an RX. Theres more RX's than escapes where I live, so the difference in cost for a used RX and a new Ford wasn't too much. I deemed reliability for those two cars to be about the same.

So same cost, same reliablity, similar mileage, Ford or Lexus?

Not much of a choice there.

I agree with the first post I too distrust American cars. I owned a Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer for a short while I think every thing from the tranny to the lift gate had to be repaired at one point. I test drove literally 25+ different models and makes of of cars, suv's and mide size pick ups. It came down to the Lexus RX and Acura MDX I didnt like the Benz felt like the ride was stiff and corning was too loose. The The BMX X3 was the same X5 was way too expensive. I didnt like styling of VW toureg and felt like it was under powered. I really had to step on it to feel like I was getting any were. I did like the Nissan Maurano but cant remember why I didnt buy it.

I like the RX line cause its an original design. I know Lexus has a few like this GX470 = 4 runner, Cadilac Escalade = Denali , Navigator = Expidition, exc ect

I was initially looking to purchase a 03' 4runner off the dealership floor, black on black fully loaded with the V8, but with my luck i noticed a graphite gray pearl coach edition sitting at the lexus dealer right beside it...went inside, got a test drive, was sold instantly B)

mostly for the interior, and ride....i definately feel i got my money's worth, especially considering i don't do that much off roading so the 4runner would've been overkill :whistles:

I have had great experiences with all of my previous Toyota cars that I have had. I was looking around for a SUV…and was looking at a 4runner or Highlander…was not overly impressed with either one…mainly the interior…kind of like a space shuttle?!?!?! I do not have the need for a large SUV like a Hummer or a Yukon, Expedition…don’t like Envoy, Escape, and Explorer… BMW, Mercedes…SUV’s ??? Just did not consider purchasing one… loved the RX330…looked at buying or leasing new…then found one exactly the way I wanted CPO so…I am now a happy LEXUS owner… :D :D :D

My wife loves the Acura MDX…and that is what she wants to look for in the next year or so…she is not sold on it yet she also likes the Acura TL and I am pretty sure that after showing her the IS I may have swayed her over. We shall see…

The only other car I was considering at the time was an Acura MDX. On paper the MDX was a better bang for the buck with the larger engine, additional seating etc.. However I am very pleased with my RX300 and would not change my mind if I was given the chance.

* Lexus consistently tops customer sat surveys every year

* Reliability

* It's smoothness is unmatched

* You won't find this quality in an American car

* BMWs are over prices and the maintenance is $$$

* This car will last me a lifetime =]

Hi, everyone, I am a new Lexus SUV owner, and I finally found this forum to exchange ideas with thousands of people who bought Lexus SUVs.

Simple. I am a Toyota fan ever since my dad had the 87 Camry and 88 MR2 (after owning a dreaded unreliable Ford Mustang) and my dream was to own the elite Toyota brand. Today, I own a 91 MR2 and an 04 RX330 and am exceptionally pleased with both. They both have similar mileage, around 120 000 km and have both been exceptionally reliable. Actually, the MR2 even more so (very few electronics as the possible reason). Considering our Canadian Winters and past ownership of a Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV, an SUV/4WD vehicle was a no-brainer. Factor in growing kids and extra cargo/interior room that comes along with that, the RX330 was a no-brainer, especially when it's only 4-5G$ Cnd more than an American "lesser" model (Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, etc.)

Finally, the Americans (and to a lesser degree, the Germans) still don't have the refinement, build quality, and reliability the Japanese have in their vehicles. Would you want to coddle yourself in a cabin straight out of a Chevy/GMC full-size pickup with splashes of tacked on (literally) Zebrano wood in the pre-2007 Cadillac Escalade for $$ more than the RX or even a GX? Unless of course you wait for the 10G$ GM rebates and 0% financing that happens every other month. Even for 10$G cheaper, I wouldn't want it... to stare at a cheap-plastic looking, straight lined and grey-buttoned GM Delco radio found in my uncle's 92 Lumina... the DASH BOARD is straight out of the seventies... Even the steering wheel column and key ignition with its "flaps" (remember those in your father's Oldsmobile where you put the key in and turn the entire flap/key combo to start the car) dates back to prehistoric times. Sad and embarrassing for the 21st century, especially for $70 G Cnd.

To their defence, the 2007 Escalade is vastly improved, surpassing the Lincoln Navigator, but still only 80% a Lexus SUV is.

I have had great experiences with all of my previous Toyota cars that I have had. I was looking around for a SUV…and was looking at a 4runner or Highlander…was not overly impressed with either one…mainly the interior…kind of like a space shuttle?!?!?! I do not have the need for a large SUV like a Hummer or a Yukon, Expedition…don’t like Envoy, Escape, and Explorer… BMW, Mercedes…SUV’s ??? Just did not consider purchasing one… loved the RX330…looked at buying or leasing new…then found one exactly the way I wanted CPO so…I am now a happy LEXUS owner… :D :D :D

My wife loves the Acura MDX…and that is what she wants to look for in the next year or so…she is not sold on it yet she also likes the Acura TL and I am pretty sure that after showing her the IS I may have swayed her over. We shall see…

Off topic: Yes, go for the IS (350)... smallish, but incredibly refined and powerful!

I chose Lexus, because of good reliability ratings. Plus, ever since i was young, seeing a Lexus was a big "WOW" to me. BMW, and Benz, no big deal. I've never admired nor wanted to drive any of those. Ever since my great experience with my RX300 (except the glove box rattle), I've decided to buy Lexus (or Toyota) from now on unless BMW, Benz, Land Rover, Jag, and the other cheap luxury car companies prove that they're good quality and reliable vehicles, I stick with the Japanese made! :)

I basically bought my Lexus because I wanted one since I first saw them. My 1996 Ford Explorer was dying, and after test-driving (for the first time) an RX300, I fell in love.

It's a 2002 RX300 with 50k miles (just turned). I bought it used with 44k about 6 months ago. It's phenomenal. I test drove the vehicle at night, and after turning the car on and having the HID lights automatically come on and level, i was hooked. I know it's not exactly a feature exclusive to Lexus cars, but the brand, the smoothness of the ride, and the size of the vehicle really won me over.

I couldn't be happier.

Not to mention, when I drive friends around at night, not only do I get compliments on my headlights, but the luminescent dashboard is a real tourist attraction. :)

We bought the 1999 RX300 after the Mercedes dealership treated us like white trash. I did own a ML320 for about 40 hours but turned it back in when I discovered it had been in the service shop 47 times in its 9 month history. The RX300 was great, and we thought it had Toyota Dependability until the Transmission failed twice. And that was with meticulous maintenance and Tranny fluid changes every 30k miles. Great vehicle but lousy transmission and lousy service at Lexus of Roseville, California.

My wife was looking for a 2001 to 2004 uplevel SUV. The plan was to look for a month or two to make sure she got exactly what she wanted. After day 1 she had removed the Caddy SRX and Acura MDX off the list and BMW X5 still on the list. On day 2 we started with Mercedes but she didn't really care for them. Then we were looking at RX300s when she spotted the RX330. She was ready to buy the thing before she even test drove it.

It the choice had been mine it would have been the BMW X5. We test drove a couple of those, both V6 and V8. That is one tight SUV.

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks ago we purchased a CPO RX330 with 12k miles. We selected the RX330 for it's pedigree (Toyota has been a great car for our family - we trust the brand), luxury, efficiency in size, gas mileage, and handling. All of the other brands you mentioned (and more) do not get the gas mileage the RX gets.

In addition, I've owned a Ford and will never go back (I had a '98 Cobra Convertible - bought new off of the lot and had more problems with it in 22 months than I have fingers.) As for Lincoln... I wouldn't trust it since it has Ford pedigree in it. We also bought a used BMW and will never go that route again. The MB was a definite contender for us, especially since a good friend works there, but we opted not to go for it because the gas mileage isn't as good. Our next car will be a hybrid version of this vehicle. We're really enjoying it!

We will also buy our next Lexus at Stevens Creek Lexus (where we bought this CPO.) They truly know how to make you feel like a valued customer and they were the most competitive with their pricing. If you get a chance, look at their service center on-line. It is a place where you definitely would not mind waiting for your car to be serviced.