1st Generation Power Seat Problems

MistaG

I've owned my 1990 ls-400 for five years now and I just developed a problem with my power seat. When tilting the seat back I notice that only the side nearest to the door tilts while the side closest to the center console stays stationary. Now when I put the seat all the way forward the center console side of the seat it crooked. I sat in the back to see if I could figure it out and noticed that somewhere underneath the right hand side of the seat where the seat back and seat itself are connected, under the leather seems loose. I cant even figure out how to get a better look without taking the whole seat out. Please ..Somebody help me nurse my pearl back to Normal.... I am puzzled :chairshot:

I heard of this rod on a do it yourself site I visited. I took the back off the seat and am lost afterwards. Can you give me a sort of description of where I can find this rod.

When I wiggle the seatback down where the seatback connects to the seat under the leather, it is very loose. I want to take the seat apart and see where it is loose. Did that happen to you?

yup i have the same problem with my seat, only 1 side goes down.

did anyone go to the dealer and see it is/was to fix it?

im not really a do-it-myself- on this lexus because its nothing like any other car, even installing an after market CD changer took 3.5 hours because of the fuel tank in the way :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

After about 13 years of ownership, the exact same thing happened on the driver's seat of my LS400 a few months ago. My local independent Lexus repair shop fixed it for about US$190 including about $21 for a new "seat back transfer bar". I was told that it was a very common problem for the threads to get stripped.