Sc Antenna Mast Workaround/other Solution

Hi All:

The SC Antenna mast solution is so 90's as the newer models of Lexus do not use the retractable feature anymore.

I am thinking of disabling the antenna (motor) feature and run a wire around trunck of SC to get FM receptions. What do you all think ? Anyone has done it already ?

Vinny

Hi All:

The SC Antenna mast solution is so 90's as the newer models of Lexus do not use the retractable feature anymore.

I am thinking of disabling the antenna (motor) feature and run a wire around trunck of SC to get FM receptions. What do you all think ? Anyone has done it already ?

Vinny

I think the antenna mast is only for AM, depending on year. On my '92 I have it permanently retracted and the rear window FM antenna works fine. YMMV

You are right about satelite radio, but we run out of real estate on the console. Where did you mount it, Tom ?

V.

FM reception is so 90's.

Step up and get linked to the satellites.

ha ha ha

Couldn't resist.

Tom

I did an experience where I unplug the power supply to the antenna motor so that the antenna would go up or down anymore. Then I turn on the radio and the reception is still very good.

This solve the problem with the antenna mast issue as well.

I think the antenna mast is only for AM, depending on year. On my '92 I have it permanently retracted and the rear window FM antenna works fine. YMMV

Here are some links to my original install.

I took out the in dash cupholder (drinkspiller) and made a bracket to hold the satellite radio.

Earlier this year I removed the satellite radio and put in a Garmin Streetpilot 7200 navigation system, which includes satellite radio, in its place. I used the same bracket that I had created. It works really well. I have the bracket angled just enough so that the glove box door does not interfere when you open it.

Front View

Side View

I should take some pictures of my navigation system and post them.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I have had good luck with the replacment antenna on e-bay for about 20 bucks. I keep closing my garage door before the antenna is down. They sell a complete unit for 29.95 including motor. They are easy to install. The second and third time goes real fast.