Not Smooth Acceleration When Cold, Why?

1997 SC 400 with 83,000 miles that when I first start up and go has less than smooth acceleration. It does acceleration but is a bit rough from 2 gear on. Once the car is warmed up, this goes away. Acceleration is glassy smooth through all the gears. It is getting worse, rougher when first starting up and going. Once warmed up, it runs smooth again. Is this an indication that I need to replace something or get some work done? The transmission fluid was changed 6,000 miles ago.

Owners manual says to replace the timing belt at 90,000 miles, could this be something connected to needing to replace the timing belt? Can anyone fill me in on what is going on here? Everything else works like new.

Thanks for your help,

Flashjet

My 95 400 does the same thing and I have changed the tranny fluid and filter, also have new timing belt/ chain I keep thinking I need to put in a new set of plugs but have procrastinated, I keep thinking of a high horsepower speedboat when you first pull out on the water it sounds rough, but as soon as you crank it out in the deep water it runs perf. :)

It sounds like you need a trans flush. Have you done it in the past like around 60k?

Transmission was flushed when the transmission fluid was changed 6,000 miles ago.

Try again.

Did you use Toyota ATF/Manaual? It's possible the gears are griding. I'm having the same problem with my LS400. The only problem mine's getting worse.

When I've taken my transmission out I'll let you know.

Good luck with your

It sounds like you need a trans flush. Have you done it in the past like around 60k?

Transmission was flushed when the transmission fluid was changed 6,000 miles ago.

Try again.

Did you use Toyota ATF/Manaual? It's possible the gears are griding. I'm having the same problem with my LS400. The only problem mine's getting worse.

When I've taken my transmission out I'll let you know.

Good luck with your

I don't know what was put in for the transmission fluid. I had it done at a service station that seems to know what they are doing and would use the correct fluid. I didn't request any specific type to be used.

Are you saying that if the wrong transmission fluid is used that this type of roughness when cold would be noticed? Yet smooth out when warmed up? What would you do at this point?