A Hybrid To Hybrid Salute

I was stopped at a light on a four lane road when I see a Prius pull up slowly in the adjacent lane. I can tell the driver is looking over my hybrid and that he is also one of those earth father types with a grey beard. (The type of guy you just knew was wearing Birkenstocks.) I had my air conditioner on and he had his window open. I was sure he was thinking bad things about my SUV hybrid. As the light changed I looked over and he gave me the split finger "Live Long and Prosper" Vulcan salute. I turned left and he turned right.

I was stopped at a light on a four lane road when I see a Prius pull up slowly in the adjacent lane. I can tell the driver is looking over my hybrid and that he is also one of those earth father types with a grey beard. (The type of guy you just knew was wearing Birkenstocks.) I had my air conditioner on and he had his window open. I was sure he was thinking bad things about my SUV hybrid. As the light changed I looked over and he gave me the split finger "Live Long and Prosper" Vulcan salute. I turned left and he turned right.

Shoot, people still don't understand that the h means hybrid in my city................

after watching an Incovenient Truth by al gore and such...ive been thinking about buying a hybrid. and dont get me wrong, i love lexus's idea about hybrid cars but power isnt really my thing; id prefer to get at least 40 mpg. Im really considering buying a prius...or maybe when it is redesigned next year. Cant wait to start saving the world! i salute you all, anyone with a hybrid.

after watching an Incovenient Truth by al gore and such...ive been thinking about buying a hybrid. and dont get me wrong, i love lexus's idea about hybrid cars but power isnt really my thing; id prefer to get at least 40 mpg. Im really considering buying a prius...or maybe when it is redesigned next year. Cant wait to start saving the world! i salute you all, anyone with a hybrid.

Yeah, I always wanted a SUV, but I drive around 100 miles a day. Besides, I tow too! I love my 400h, and I am looking at the camry hybrid today.

I'd like to have the option of getting 40 mpg also and I think the RX-400 could do it with the right software. At present the engine software emphasizes performance with the gas engine kicking in too soon when you depress the accelerator. Be nice if Lexus were to offer that as a retrofit. I'd even consider an aftermarket chip like some of the sport cars have, but for mileage rather than performance. I've only got 22K mi of warranty left so the aftermarket chip voiding the warranty wouldn't be a problem in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to check out www.mpgstickers.com. They have one that simply says "Hybrid". I bought one and put it on the back of the car right above the the model number. It turns quite a few heads. The marketing literature for the 400h downplays the efficiency and stresses the performance, but that's why we bought it, otherwise we'd never buy such a big earth destroyer. I also got one for my Prius just to annoy people. I typically get 47mpg, but got 52 on my last tank. Our 400h gets about 29mpg.