Adaptive Headlights

Am I the only one that feels the adaptive headlights are a joke? When they are testing... they make people look when you start the car.. but for a real world drive... I just can not see the expense....

Anyone else?

I kind of like how when driving up or down a hill the lights level off to give better visibility. As far as going around turns on back roads I get the same experience. I have to say I like them... ;)

Am I the only one that feels the adaptive headlights are a joke? When they are testing... they make people look when you start the car.. but for a real world drive... I just can not see the expense....

Anyone else?

You'd appreciate them where I live in the UK, but as you colonials only drive in straight lines I don't suppose they're very useful :lol:

Anyone else?

You'd appreciate them where I live in the UK, but as you colonials only drive in straight lines I don't suppose they're very useful :lol:

After all these years the BBC still hasn't told you? :lol:

• 11 months later...

Anyone else?

WOW... for over a year now... I've been driving my IS with broken adaptive headlights... During the past few days my IS has been at the dealer.. For a loaner.. they gave me a ES350.. I was looking at maybe getting a ES350 next time.. but after the past few days.. No Thank you! But that’s another story..

Anyway.. last Friday.. I was driving home.. and I was shocked by how much the Adaptive lights on the ES worked… even my GF was like “wow wish yours did that”… Right now on my car… when your turning.. you can barley see a small beam turning… sort of on a time delay… it sucks!! So I called the dealer and asked if the ES and IS had the same type of Adaptive system… Evidently they do… So I hope they get fixed…

;)

WOW... for over a year now... I've been driving my IS with broken adaptive headlights... During the past few days my IS has been at the dealer.. For a loaner.. they gave me a ES350.. I was looking at maybe getting a ES350 next time.. but after the past few days.. No Thank you! But that’s another story..

Anyway.. last Friday.. I was driving home.. and I was shocked by how much the Adaptive lights on the ES worked… even my GF was like “wow wish yours did that”… Right now on my car… when your turning.. you can barley see a small beam turning… sort of on a time delay… it sucks!! So I called the dealer and asked if the ES and IS had the same type of Adaptive system… Evidently they do… So I hope they get fixed…

;)

LOL... Turns out yours have been broken all this time?!?!

I have adaptive headlights on the G and I love them.

They work incredibly well.

I wish they auto-leveled like in the IS though. :blushing:

;)

LOL... Turns out yours have been broken all this time?!?!

I have adaptive headlights on the G and I love them.

They work incredibly well.

I wish they auto-leveled like in the IS though. :blushing:

Now I'm not sure... Lexus told me the computer shows them working fine... and even the "Master Tech" took it home last night and said they are working just fine... but if they are the same as the ES350.. then THEY ARE NOT... unless the ES350 is broke and to loose... I really dont know what they are suppose to do...

All I know is.. on my IS.. when your turning... it looks like a MAG flashlight beam is turning a little... thats it... and even then.. you have to look close to see it... on the ES.. the whole thing moves....

But then again... the "Master Tech" told me that my doors that will not stay open are working fine also... My gf has had her leg caught in the door a few times.. even bruised it... I'm in the habit of just keeping my foot out until I'm ready to exit the car.... grrrrrrrrrr

Anyone have a video of what the IS Adaptive Headlights are suppose to look like!???

its most likely broken, if not then you got a "lemon" light. Keep in mind that turning right gives it only 5 degrees turnage, which is basically nothing. Turning left gives you 15 degrees, and that is much much more noticable. I love them...

i would go back to the dealership, have hten test drive it with me in the car at night, and then see what they say. And then, if we do ocme ot the conclusion that they arent working at top notch turnage, then i would request a new headlight housing unit.

turning right gives it only 5 degrees turnage, which is basically nothing. Turning left gives you 15 degrees.

This I didn't know...sorry for the Apple/Orange comparison.

My G turns 15 degrees to the right and 17 degrees to the left.

That may explain why I noticed them turning so much, compared to your findings in the IS.

I MYSELF DON'T THINK THAT THIS ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHT IS FOR REAL. IT DOES NOT WORK IN MY CAR EXCEPT WHEN I START IT. THE FUNNY THING IS, AT HIGH SPEED (70 MPH) the light is not enough.

I thought the same thing... then I drove the ES350 loaner... WOW... thats all I can say... Its night and day difference..

its most likely broken, if not then you got a "lemon" light. Keep in mind that turning right gives it only 5 degrees turnage, which is basically nothing. Turning left gives you 15 degrees, and that is much much more noticable. I love them...

i would go back to the dealership, have hten test drive it with me in the car at night, and then see what they say. And then, if we do ocme ot the conclusion that they arent working at top notch turnage, then i would request a new headlight housing unit.

I still have the Loaner... and I'm heading out this evening to do just that...

turning right gives it only 5 degrees turnage, which is basically nothing. Turning left gives you 15 degrees.

This I didn't know...sorry for the Apple/Orange comparison.

My G turns 15 degrees to the right and 17 degrees to the left.

That may explain why I noticed them turning so much, compared to your findings in the IS.

I wonder if the ES350 has a wider field like your G...

I would still belive that the lights that turns would be more then just a small beam... :censored: wish I never had this loaner.. lol

I'm sure the Tech asked you, but are you sure they aren't disabled? The switch to the left of the steering wheel, where you can set the red ring for the speedo and tach also lets you turn of the AFS. I've had my car just over a week, and I can see the lights pivot around a curve. I haven't yet driven down a really dark, unlit road to see how much it helps, but I can see them moving.

(you DO have the HIDs, right?)

I wonder if the ES350 has a wider field like your G...

I would still belive that the lights that turns would be more then just a small beam... :censored: wish I never had this loaner.. lol

I notice it a lot more on the right than I do on the left.

Mostly because the right functions at any speed, even a complete stop.

The left requires that the car is moving at approx 15 mph.

I have to really be ripping around dark left-hand corners to notice the left light moving, but the right is very noticeable.

I'm sure the Tech asked you, but are you sure they aren't disabled? The switch to the left of the steering wheel, where you can set the red ring for the speedo and tach also lets you turn of the AFS. I've had my car just over a week, and I can see the lights pivot around a curve. I haven't yet driven down a really dark, unlit road to see how much it helps, but I can see them moving.

(you DO have the HIDs, right?)

This is correct. That should be the first thing to check.

I have to really be ripping around dark left-hand corners to notice the left light moving, but the right is very noticeable.

The IS's AFS won't pivot when the car's stopped.

The IS's AFS won't pivot when the car's stopped.

After doing my research... I found out the dealer didnt know what he was talking about.. (shocker)... the ES has a diffrent Adaptive Headlight system.. "With the available Dual-swivel Adaptive Front Lighting System both headlamps can turn to help illuminate curves. At speeds above 19 mph, both headlamps will swivel into the curve of the road. At lower speeds, the right or left headlamp will rotate up to 15 degrees." So I guess the ES can go left and right 15 degrees... also I think the speed is different.. It seemed to turn with the wheels.. Speed didn't matter..

Oh well.. that sucks...

this is what the Lexus website mentions for the IS350:

For enhanced nighttime visibility, especially on winding roads, choose the available Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS). It can pivot the left headlamp up to 15 degrees and the right headlamp up to five degrees, helping to illuminate more of the road through turns. Headlamp washers are also available.

i have the first generation adaptive lights on my RX which should be the same as yours. You should be able to tell a difference. Ill try to get a video but its hard to turn and get a good shot at night.

Thanks!! I'll try and get a video of mine also.. I looked on Youtube and couldnt find anything...

I MYSELF DON'T THINK THAT THIS ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHT IS FOR REAL. IT DOES NOT WORK IN MY CAR EXCEPT WHEN I START IT. THE FUNNY THING IS, AT HIGH SPEED (70 MPH) the light is not enough.

I've had my car 2 weeks, and I can see the pivot clearly. Are you sure it's not turned off?

Anyone else?

My '06 did not have adaptive lights, and my '07 do. I prefer them. They are brighter, in my opinion.