Oxygen Sensors On 98 Es 300

Hello all, I got a lexus 98 es 300, my check engine light is on, so I took the car to autzone to get a computer code. I was told of code 0170. I saw on the foums here on a different thread that its oxygen sensor, but how do I know which oxygen sensor to change ? I know there are 4 sensors. I appreciate any help.

There is only one oxygen sensor you need to replace - it's the one in front of the catalytic converter. If you go to this website http://tinyurl.com/njqgt and type in "oxygen sensor" in the space for keyword, you'll see a new front sensor for a Federal emission ES like yours is about $114.00 with free delivery via UPS Ground This genuine Toyota sensor will look and fit perfectly, just like the factory original one and will last just as long. And after front sensor replacement, fuel economy should improve noticably. The rear sensor (behind the catalytic converter) should last many more years before it needs to be replaced.

Beware the sensors available from aftermarket websites like oxygensensors.com may not be identical in every respect so the functionality, reliability and durability of the sensor may not be as good either. The aftermarket websites also provide generic replacement advice rather than Toyota specific advice, so that's why they will say you need to replace the rear sensor too.

Also beware some people will likely say you could buy a "universal" sensor for only about $70 from aftermarket websites (or $23 on ebay) and that using a universal sensor will not compromise functionality, reliability and durability. But then they will tell you that to install a universal sensor one needs to solder, splice, heat shrink, crimp, tape, etc. 3-4 wires. So who knows how long a home made wire job using hardware store electical supplies will stand up to summer heat, winter cold, fog, flooding rains, road dust, road debris, etc ??

There is only one oxygen sensor you need to replace - it's the one in front of the catalytic converter. If you go to this website http://tinyurl.com/njqgt and type in "oxygen sensor" in the space for keyword, you'll see a new front sensor for a Federal emission ES like yours is about $114.00 with free delivery via UPS Ground This genuine Toyota sensor will look and fit perfectly, just like the factory original one and will last just as long. And after front sensor replacement, fuel economy should improve noticably. The rear sensor (behind the catalytic converter) should last many more years before it needs to be replaced.

so now you are saying on a 98 there is one (1) sensor before the cat???That is odd, on my 98 there are two (2) sensors not (1).

There is always 1 o2 sensor per exhaust manifold (two pre-cat) (Barring the 90-91 2vz-fe which has one y-pipe mounteds sensor, and the 88-89 2vz-fe which has no closed-loop, so no o2 sensor).

Past that, obd-II, and CA/NY emessions cars have a post cat, heated lambda sensor.

All o2 sensors are the same, their specifications are very tight.

<cough> soldiering and heat shrinking a wire is better than the damned crimping that Toyota uses to put the pins in their exterior electrical harnesses. <cough>

Bank 1 is the: rear bank, (firewall), odd bank, RIGHT HAND bank

Bank 2 is the opposite of what i just said

Sensor 1 reffers to a main, manifold mounted sensor

Sensor 2 reffers to the post cat sensor

There is always 1 o2 sensor per exhaust manifold (two pre-cat) (Barring the 90-91 2vz-fe which has one y-pipe mounteds sensor, and the 88-89 2vz-fe which has no closed-loop, so no o2 sensor).

Past that, obd-II, and CA/NY emessions cars have a post cat, heated lambda sensor.

All o2 sensors are the same, their specifications are very tight.

<cough> soldiering and heat shrinking a wire is better than the damned crimping that Toyota uses to put the pins in their exterior electrical harnesses. <cough>

Bank 1 is the: rear bank, (firewall), odd bank, RIGHT HAND bank

Bank 2 is the opposite of what i just said

Sensor 1 reffers to a main, manifold mounted sensor

Sensor 2 reffers to the post cat sensor

Thank you so much to all of u guys, u saved me expenses, I truly appreciate all the help.

No biggie. The best is the rav4. It has a real wth was toyota thinking with it's o2 sensor setup. :) Same engines as a camry right? Well they jsut decided to put two pre cat o2 sensors right infront of the cat, and TWO post cat sensors right after the cat.

This... on a single pipe exhaust 4 cylinder hahahahahahahahaha

Even I have a hard time remembering which one is bank one sensor one and sensor 2 on the rav4 lol!