Ls400 Air Filter

LS4hundy

So I need an air filter for my 95 LS400. Im considering a K&N. I want an air filter that gives me the most miles since I will have a new commute here pretty soon. I will have to make a 1000 mile trip about 3 times a year(goin back to college). Any suggestions? Does the K&N really give u more miles????

You want more mileage and are doing more highway then increase your tire pressure and use a good synthetic oil.

Also make sure the car is clean and waxed regularlly.

thanks sk....i watched ur video by the way..OUCH!!

According to Consumer Reports, a near new LS400 filled with conventional oil, factory filters, facotry spark plugs, etc. gets 30 MPG on level ground at a steady 55 MPH. Your particular LS400 probably gets more like 27 MPG at 55 MPH because a number of maintenance items need attention or have been neglected over the years such as the air filter, oxygen sensor, throttle plate, distributor caps and rotors, etc.

Expensive K&N filters and synthetic oils not only fail to increase gas mileage (by more than a trivial amount), they also distract car owners from spending time and money on the maintenance items that are causing the cars to get only approx. 27 MPG or so at 55 MPH instead of 30 MPG.

So the savvy LS400 owner that's getting 27 MPG @ 55 MPH will spend time and money on certain maintenance items using genuine Toyota parts and procedures that will get the car back up to at least 29 MPG, while the "mechanic in a can" oriented LS400 owner will buy a K&N and synthetic oil and get 27.5 MPG instead of 27.0 MPG.

According to Consumer Reports, a near new LS400 filled with conventional oil, factory filters, facotry spark plugs, etc. gets 30 MPG on level ground at a steady 55 MPH. Your particular LS400 probably gets more like 27 MPG at 55 MPH because a number of maintenance items need attention or have been neglected over the years such as the air filter, oxygen sensor, throttle plate, distributor caps and rotors, etc.

Expensive K&N filters and synthetic oils not only fail to increase gas mileage (by more than a trivial amount), they also distract car owners from spending time and money on the maintenance items that are causing the cars to get only approx. 27 MPG or so at 55 MPH instead of 30 MPG.

So the savvy LS400 owner that's getting 27 MPG @ 55 MPH will spend time and money on certain maintenance items using genuine Toyota parts and procedures that will get the car back up to at least 29 MPG, while the "mechanic in a can" oriented LS400 owner will buy a K&N and synthetic oil and get 27.5 MPG instead of 27.0 MPG.

Even worse...!!

The oil on the K&N wicks off in the turbulent intake air stream and eventually coats the MAF sensor and the dirt on top of that and now your A/F mixture goes out of whack and soon the catalytic converter has failed....

Dyno tests indicate that a K&N filter is only beneficial, 3-5%, at WOT and at or near maximum engine RPM. Absent WOT the throttle butterfly valve is THE major flow restriction.

The best and easiest way to improve your FE is to operate the A/C in a dramatically more efficient method.

Turn the control to max cooling and then use the blower speed to regulate your comfort level. If the system doesn't default into recirculate then manually make it so.

Thanks for all the advice fellas....So I guess a paper filter will do just as good as long as its clean. I just finishes alot of work in the last week. Timing belt, water pump, crank sahft seal, oil, spark plugs(forget brand but for japanese cars),distributor caps and rotors, coolant, fuel injection cleaning, transmission fluid change. So my car is running like a dream. The car only has 69k miles on it, for 95, i was very lucky. However, the car was a little neglected. I used all OEM products for the timing belt, water pump amd crankshaft. Its funny though, I saw all the parts that were replaced and im no mechaninc but they all looked like they were in good condition. Any how, I guess my next question is should i buy any old paper filter from the local shmucks or should i get the OEM filter online. Thanks, Im still trying to put pics of my LS up but I cant for some reason. Im goona have to wait until a computer savy friend comes over.

Get the OEM filter and be happy. Lexus designed these great cars, and they designed the air filters too, and that's good enough for me.

Basic synthetics provided me with no improvement in gas mileage.

Since making the switch to higher end one like motul which cost 4 times more i have found the mileage change immediately from a 14.6l/100km down to 11.4l100km on the digital readout available on my LS.

In my past experience with K&N filters, as the engine gets warmer, the power seems to diminish, it;s because it's breathing the hot air within the engine. My father in law had put one on his M3, and he switched it out a week later.Sticking to original is better, if not.. any cold air intake should suffice :-)

In my past experience with K&N filters, as the engine gets warmer, the power seems to diminish, it;s because it's breathing the hot air within the engine. My father in law had put one on his M3, and he switched it out a week later.Sticking to original is better, if not.. any cold air intake should suffice :-)

All lexus have CAI, It is just replacing the stock filter. You may be thinking about a short ram tube with the cone filter ???

All lexus have CAI, It is just replacing the stock filter. You may be thinking about a short ram tube with the cone filter ???

Is it different on the LS? My apologies, but yes, I was thinking about those reddish cone filters that are visible without any covers. Just my humble opinion, but I think that money can be better spent on a prosciutto sandwich.

LS's have very little support from the aftermarket performance world.

The stock airbox like every other car with very few exceptions all breath air form outside the engine bay.

The one i mentioned before is a drop in filter. I also modified my stock intake to be more performance than noise cancelling and gained a nice increase as well.