Outstanding Gas Mileage

I recently replaced my air filter only this time I stuck with a genuine toyota air filter (its actually cheaper than a fram at walmart). Anyway, I took a trip and was on my way back home after getting a full tank of 93 octane gas. I just had to fill up again and off of one tank of gas I got 460 miles! Usually I get around 380 if I'm lucky. I don't drive slow either :) Since owning the car for two years this has been the best mileage so far. I don't think I will get anything other than a toyota air filter from now on.

I know they breathe better, but I just can't help thinking that K&N may not filter as good as factory. I'm with 082. I have had some other brand filters effect the way my car ran. I've had best luck sticking to the factory air filter.

I've been using a K&N air filter for over 4 years now in my SC400 and haven't noticed any problems. When I installed it my gas mileage instantly went up. Also, when the filter starts getting dirty the gas mileage decreases slightly but immediately goes up after cleaning the filter.

After reading your post, I purchased a Toyota filter off Ebay. I had put a Wally World filter in my 1994 SC300 with 17000 miles and felt kind of guilty (actually I believe it was a Fram purchased at Wally World)... Just got back from the garage, and I have to tell you they looked identical.. same color plastic frame, identical construction, filter element looked exact etc... I suppose the Ebay filter could be a Fram loaded into a Toyota box or perhaps one just has to believe that Toyota filtering element is the better material. By the way, I had just clocked in at 25.9 mpg on a 600 mile road trip with the Fram.. But I also believe one cannot go wrong by staying bone stock with factory Toyota/Lexus parts.