Wheel Bearings

nc211

Sorry guys, I'm sure this answer is on here under a search, but I just don't have enough time to spend searching......

So I'm dealing with yet another vibration issue. It's the same one from the flex-couplings post. The car is going back to the dealership one last time....after this, if it's not fixed, it's gone...

Anyway, back to topic: Wheel Bearings....

What are the classic symptoms they're going out? Clicking noise when coming to a stop "I got that", wandering "got that too", more road noise heard in the cabin?

And what do new bearings do to the car?

If the driveline vibration turns out to be something minor, then I'm willing to shell out the $250 bucks for new bearings all around...but, only if the improvement is worth it....

Thanks amigos!!! :cheers:

PS: If I don't answer back after this Sunday, it's because I'm on the road for three weeks....heading to California "Newport Beach" for work related stuff....

I'd jack up the front end, remove the brake calipers (but take care not to depress the brake pedal with the calipers removed) and spin the wheels to listen for roughness and clicks. Also, grab each wheel and try to push it away from you and then pull it toward you to check for bearing slop and play. There should be virtually no detectable play.

Yes, worn wheel bearings can click, contribute to steering wander and they definately increase road noise. However, my knowledge of worn wheel bearings is limited to conventional tapered roller type front wheel bearings. I think the LS has sealed ball bearing type front wheel bearings and I can only guess the symptoms of worn ball bearings would be similar to the tapered roller type.

I also think the LS's front wheel bearings should be good for 300,000+ miles if the car is driven on smooth roads and never through serious floodwaters.