**** Lexus Vs Toyota Pricing ****

Please provide some feedback:

My car is currently at the Lexus dealership due to AC not cooling.... I was informed my A/c compressor is not working and the following items will need to be replaced. I was thinking I just needed to have some freon added what a surprise.

** Lexus ***

A/C compressor

Drier or dryer

Expansion Valve

and refill freon

for a grand total of $2300.00 minus $550 if the expansion valve doesn't need replacing.

***Toyota ***

same as above for $1321.23 minus $150 if the expansion valve doesn't need replacing.

Prices above includes labor as well.... I guess my question is, is this reasonable and would you recommend Toyota to do the work?

I guess I'm thinking Lexus might be pulling the wool over my eyes , because I am a female and not mechanically inclined.

Please advise asap

--------------------

Ladylex aka sweet-tee

Take it to Toyota and enjoy lots of evenings out at dinner for the difference. Yes Lexus is taking you just as they do everyone else. Oh sure you wont get a loaner, but you can rent one for the difference and still have money in your pocket.

Please provide some feedback:

My car is currently at the Lexus dealership due to AC not cooling.... I was informed my A/c compressor is not working and the following items will need to be replaced. I was thinking I just needed to have some freon added what a surprise.

** Lexus ***

A/C compressor

Drier or dryer

Expansion Valve

and refill freon

for a grand total of $2300.00 minus $550 if the expansion valve doesn't need replacing.

***Toyota ***

same as above for $1321.23 minus $150 if the expansion valve doesn't need replacing.

Prices above includes labor as well.... I guess my question is, is this reasonable and would you recommend Toyota to do the work?

I guess I'm thinking Lexus might be pulling the wool over my eyes , because I am a female and not mechanically inclined.

Please advise asap

--------------------

Ladylex aka sweet-tee

:)

Take it to Toyota and enjoy lots of evenings out at dinner for the difference. Yes Lexus is taking you just as they do everyone else. Oh sure you wont get a loaner, but you can rent one for the difference and still have money in your pocket.

I TOTAL AGREE I JUST RECENTLY BROUGHT ROTORS AFTERMARKET AND BROUGHT BRAKES FROM DEALER FROM THE PARTS DEPARTMENT, SO I MOSEY MY A*^ ON OVER TO SERVICE I SAID HOW MUCH WOULD U CHARGE ME TO PUT BRAKES AND ROTORS ON THAT I JUST PURCHASED. THE IDIOT TOLD ME AFTER HE DAMN NEAR REPEATED WHAT I SAID TO HIM HE SAID IT WOULD BE 210.00 FOR THE FRONT , AND 210.00 FOR THE REAR. I DID AN ABOUT FACE WITH OUT SAYING A WORD AND WALKED OUT FOUND A SHOP TO DO IT FOR 160.00 ALL THE WAY AROUND. THE POINT IS LEXUS ALWAYS OVER CHARGE PEOPLE GOT TO TOYOTA THEY HAVE A NEW SYSTEM IN THEIR COMPUTER THAT HAVE OUR CARS IN THERE AND CAN GET PARTS CHEAPER THAN LEXUS. WITH THE EXTRA MONEY U WILL SAVE U COULD TAKE UR FAMILY SHOPPING AND A NICE DINNER AND MOVIE AND PROBABLY STILLHAVE SOME CHANGE LEFT.

MY MY how quickly we all forget.Must I remind us all of the toyota horror stories posted recently??Did you buy a Lexus or a Toyota?Im all for saving money but not at the cost of adding a headache.Sure the cars are very similiar but not by any means identical.A lexus tech will be more likely to properly diagnose because they work on the same car day in and day out and know whats common and whats not.Most Lexus dealers dont service Toyotas.Maybe try telling the Lexus dealer about the cost difference and try to find a middle.

As in previous cases im saying go to Lexus.Read these previous horror stories.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=29895

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=29752

My car is currently at the Lexus dealership due to AC not cooling....

A Toyota dealer would use the same Toyota parts and procedures so I'd take it to a Toyota dealer.

It's also possible that just the $120.00 magnetic clutch on the compressor is bad, but the compressor itself is OK in which case replacement of the expansion valve, receiver-drier and compressor would not be needed, saving you about $1,000 of the $1,300 the Toyota dealer wants.

So if you have the time and interest, I'd take the car to 2-3 shops to find out if all agree the compressor internally burned up and seized or that just the magnetic clutch that's attached to the compressor is seized. The magnetic clutch can be unbolted from the compressor and replaced separately.

I agree with those that have recommended that Lexus do the work. Horror stories, etc. about the Toyota dealerships.

Air conditioning work is very precise, if you expect the results to be satisfactory. If the compressor has failed internally, the AC industry standard is to replace the parts initially suggested. The reasoning is that an internal failure of the compressor can cause debris to enter the system and lodge in the parts on the list.

If Lexus does the work, they will guarantee it, and it should work. If Toyota does the work, make sure you get a guarantee the the system will work properly for a certain length of time.

In my shop, we personally do not guarantee AC work because the customer usually doesn't want to pay to replace all the parts and do the job properly. Usually, they want the least expensive fix. If the system is contaminated, and the other parts are not replaced due to the customer not wanting to pay, it's not the shop's fault if the repair fails.