Toyota Vs Lexus Pricing

Sweet-Tee

Please provide some feedback:

My car is currently at the Lexus dealership due to AC not cooling.... I was informed my A/c compressor is not working and the following items will need to be replaced. I was thinking I just needed to have some freon added what a surprise.

** Lexus ***

A/C compressor

Drier or dryer

Expansion Valve

and refill freon

for a grand total of $2300.00 minus $550 if the expansion valve doesn't need replacing.

***Toyota ***

same as above for $1321.23 minus $150 if the expansion valve doesn't need replacing.

Prices above includes labor as well.... I guess my question is, is this reasonable and would you recommend Toyota to do the work?

I guess I'm thinking Lexus might be pulling the wool over my eyes , because I am a female and not mechanically inclined.

Please advise asap

My car is currently at the Lexus dealership due to AC not cooling.... I was informed my A/c compressor is not working and the following items will need to be replaced. I was thinking I just needed to have some freon added what a surprise.

** Lexus ***

A/C compressor

Drier or dryer

Expansion Valve

and refill freon

for a grand total of $2300.00 minus $550 if the expansion valve doesn't need replacing.

***Toyota ***

same as above for $1321.23 minus $150 if the expansion valve doesn't need replacing.

Prices above includes labor as well.... I guess my question is, is this reasonable and would you recommend Toyota to do the work?

I guess I'm thinking Lexus might be pulling the wool over my eyes , because I am a female and not mechanically inclined.

Please advise asap

You didn't say what year your car was, but the expansion valve is a major PITA if it needs replacing. Any time you replace the compressor you should replace the drier. Did they tell you what the root cause of the problem is? Sounds like they are saying compressor failure. Aftermarket compressor can be purchased for ~$260 plus $25 for the drier plus labor. So i'd say you were getting taken. :pirate: The Toyota pricing obviously is a lot better and i wouldn't hesitate taking it there. There may be an independant Lexus repair shop in your area. That would be my first choice.

Good luck.

** Lexus ***

A/C compressor

Drier or dryer

Expansion Valve

and refill freon

***Toyota ***

Please advise asap

Sweet:

I had (until this past weekend) for the most part, non-functional A/C.

Thanks to member "fblonk", I did what he suggested on the following post;

Cabin Air Filter

I removed the old filter, went to Wally World, bought a 3M "Super Wiz Bang" "Anti-Chemical weapon" "Big" Furnace filter, took it home, cut a chunk out of it, fit it into the old filter "carrier", duct taped it up, put it back in, fired it up & viola!.....A/C, almost as good as new! I say "almost" only because I didn't get icicles hanging off my eyebrows, but it was still very good. The 3M filter was big enough that I can get probably 6 "refills" out of it.....all for $12.00. The old filter looked like it was original & looked like it actually had mud in it, it was so filthy. The filter was so clogged, nothing could get through it, including cold air from the A/C.

At the very least, don't spend any money yet. Locate the cabin air filter (or have friend help), temporarily remove it, button up the holder/location where the filter lived & try the A/C. If your A/C works, then yes, the "Stealer" was trying to fleece you. At that point, probably the easiest thing to do is allow yourself to get "robbed" for about $35.00 for a "jen-you-ine" Lexus cabin air filter. If the AC doesn't work, well, then they were probably on to something, albeit overpriced.

If you must have "real" work done, Toyota is going to be much more reasonable in terms of cost.