What About A Handling Package In An Ls460?

Back in 2004, a friend bought an LS430. I test drove a conventionally configured model, and found that it rode too much like a Lincoln or a Cadillac - mushy and soft. I drove my friend's 430 with the European handling package, and found the car to be just perfect.

It's likely that I'm going to buy a 460 this year (2007), and would like to know what is going to happen to the handling package? I don't want a conventional 430 kind of ride. What has happened to the suspension of this car in 2007? Is it possible to get a tigher ride without having to go with the variable suspension on the Ultra? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Back in 2004, a friend bought an LS430. I test drove a conventionally configured model, and found that it rode too much like a Lincoln or a Cadillac - mushy and soft. I drove my friend's 430 with the European handling package, and found the car to be just perfect.

It's likely that I'm going to buy a 460 this year (2007), and would like to know what is going to happen to the handling package? I don't want a conventional 430 kind of ride. What has happened to the suspension of this car in 2007? Is it possible to get a tigher ride without having to go with the variable suspension on the Ultra? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I agree, I drove the Sport Suspension LS at a Taste of Lexus event and that suspension made a HUGE difference.

Unless I'm missing something, a handling suspension is only available in the L in the $2,120 Air Suspension w/VGRS option. It APPEARS to be standalone, though with Lexus such appearances are generally deceiving.

Why isn't the handling suspension available in the regular length car, where more people are likely to want it? Well, I've yet to find someone who can adequately explain why Toyota/Lexus packages options the way it does.

I personally don't have much hope for this package, as when driving the GS 300 with regular steering and the GS 430 w/VGRS back-to-back, I MUCH preferred the steering and handling of the 300. But I'll withhold judgement until I can actually drive one.

• 1 year later...
I would also be interested to find out if there is an aftermarket solution for the rather soft handling. Maybe at this years SEMA Show something will be presented.

I recently installed aftermarket wheels and tires on my 2007 LS460 SWB. 20" rims with Falken performance tires. This set up dramatically improved the handling and road feel. It also reduced the body roll when cornering. On the down side, you can expect a bit rougher ride over stock (not too bad though) and slightly increased noise levels. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the changes. Just my $.02.