How To Change A Rear Side Marker Light? ('03 Is 300)

Tried my owner's manual, but, it says go to the Lexus dealer to change bulbs. Ahhh....no!

Tried the search engine, but, all I found was another thread asking for help to do the same thing, but, unfortunately nobody rode in to the rescue with a response.

So I'll try...

RR side marker light on an '03 IS 300. How do I access the bulb to replace it? Do I have to come in from beneath the fender and behind the marker light or is it the type that you pry off one end on the front side with a flat screwdriver and then the whole sidemarker light assembly comes out of the fender and you just remove the bulb from the back? To replace you'd just push back into the fender?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'd prefer to ask first before breaking anything.

click the link below to see the front and back side of the light assembly.

http://www.partstrain.com/products/Lights_...sku=3121412LASR

Best I can find out is that the bulb comes out from the back side. I think you can get to it from underneath.

Took a look at it more closely and tired to put my hand up underneath to be able to get at the back of the light assembly and I couldn't even get close. Unless bulb replacement requires fender removal, it either has to come out from the front OR somehow accessed from the back side from the trunk. I seem to recall reading (was it a post of yours?) that the trunk access route had been tried with no luck, so I'm thinking it should be a pry off from the front type of deal, but, I'd really like to hear from somebody who has done it first.

Just call your local Lexus dealer and speak to someone in service.

They'll be able to tell you right away and you won't be taking any chances on breaking something.

They'll be able to tell you right away and you won't be taking any chances on breaking something.

All right, I have to be down there anyways tomorrow, so I'll ask them. By the way I added a link up above in my first post which shows the front and back side of the light assembly. Seeing the back side makes me think that it is most likely a pry off from the front type.

Well the bad news is that Lexus insists the bumper cover must be lowered to change the light bulb.

The good news is that Lexus covers replacement of bulbs for the first 4 years/ 50,000 miles, so I'm letting them do it.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not a pry the lens out type of marker light. It has two studs coming out the back of the lens assembly with nuts on the back side to hold it in place. If you pop the trunk and remove the main tail light assembly on either the right or left side (depending on which marker light bulb you're going for) there will be a small space you can reach into to get at the back of the marker light. Wish I had a picture to show you guys but I think you get the idea.

-Dave

• 13 years later...

Hey guys, so there are 3 ways. 1.) Remove tail light and if you have a long 10mm ratchet and can access the bolt to unscrew it, your good to just pop it out once that bolts been removed. 

2.) Coming up from the bottom again requires extra skinny arms hands and forearms apparently you can reach with a long 10 mm ratchet then again just pop it out. 

3.) You gotta remove the fqmn bumper work I would try everything first before doing that so good luck to you all. I'll let you know what worked for me and post pictures.

On 6/8/2006 at 7:46 PM, Scott M said:

I agree with you. I wouldn't change anything myself.