Tinting Problems

Hey, my friend got his car tinted today....The Job looks phenominal, but some things just didn't quite seem normal to me: He comes to the house and does it by hand (he's been in buissness 18 years, so that's not even the strangest part) but he said that the tint will bubble because the water needs to evaporate and he said the bubbles will go away, is that normal? And he also said not to roll the windows down for five days, is that normal as well? He charged my friend 137, something along those lines. He gave him a lifetime warrenty though, not from him but from the company who manufacutres the tint. The tint was premium charcoal, 18% percent or something (he said that was the darkest you could go in FL is that true?) SO I was wondering is that stuff that he said true? I think it would be best that if I get it done to go to a store, like tint world, don't you guys agree?

We have had three cars tinted in the past four years and I don't remember any of them having actual bubbles under the tint on the day the tinting was done. All had a milky haze that disappeared over about a one week period. Maybe the haze was really tiny bubbles but if so, they did not stick out like bubbles. Yes, the windows should not be rolled down for at least a few days (and don't touch the tint!) -- we try to wait at least one week to make sure that the tint is dry. The tint will dry out quickler if done in the summer and the car sits outside in the sun.

Here is a website that purports to show the tint maximums for all states - I don't know if it is completely accurate but it is accurate for the state where I live: http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

The max shown for Florida is 28%/15%/15% for front side/rear side/rear window.

Darker is better - I wish Kansas allowed what Florida allows.

Around here $137 is unheard of for tinting five windows -- it usually runs $190-$240. Everyone applies tint "by hand". Tint shops machine cut the tint so that it perfectly fits without triming.

Hey, my friend got his car tinted today....The Job looks phenominal, but some things just didn't quite seem normal to me: He comes to the house and does it by hand (he's been in buissness 18 years, so that's not even the strangest part) but he said that the tint will bubble because the water needs to evaporate and he said the bubbles will go away, is that normal? And he also said not to roll the windows down for five days, is that normal as well? He charged my friend 137, something along those lines. He gave him a lifetime warrenty though, not from him but from the company who manufacutres the tint. The tint was premium charcoal, 18% percent or something (he said that was the darkest you could go in FL is that true?) SO I was wondering is that stuff that he said true? I think it would be best that if I get it done to go to a store, like tint world, don't you guys agree?

I had somebody come out to my home several times to tint my car windows. However, he no longer does home-visits. He now has his own shop. Yes, don't roll down the windows for a few days. I've not heard of the bubbling.

1) Many window tinit professionals are mobile services, in fact, many Lexus dealerships do not have on-site window tint for new cars, so they sub-contract these people to come to do the tinit.

2) It is normal that there will be some "bubble" after the tinit is finished. These are not air "bubble" but water "bubble", these "bubble" will evaporate within a week. As someone mentioned before, it works better under sunlight.

3) Since the tint is not completely dry right after tiniting, if you roll the window, the tinit can be mis-placed.

4) $137 is extremely cheap, I did my car 4 years ago and it cost me $150.00. I just received a quote for $180.00 for a Mini Cooper.

5) I don't know FL state regulations.

6) I don't see the difference between going to a store to get it done or mobile service, you just need to know the guy is doing a good job. Some guys do it by hands do magical job.

• 6 months later...

I got my windows on my last car done at the best shop in town, it cost $200 for my civic hatch... Anyway the bubbles are normal, it is water and it will evaporate soon. I was told not to put my windows down for 3 days but my friend cracked one open a little the first day and it didnt hurt anything. You got a hell of a deal for $137 with a lifetime warranty

• 2 weeks later...

Thats normal. As soon as it dries its ok to roll down. He just told you 5 days probably to be safe. $137 is a ok price. Ive had my windows tinted for less many times from hookups before. They can do better than that with lifetime warranty for 5 windows.

The cheapest I ever got tint from was from the stereo shop that sponsored my other car. I brought my daily driver in and got 5 windows tinted and he only charged me $40 for parts. On the lifetime warranty card he put a higher amount. :)

• 5 months later...

yea its normal man, the bubble should go away but keep an eye on them, mine didnt because they guy didnt clean my glass well so stuff are actually traped in there. however, not roling down the window is normal for sure, you need to let it dry.

• 5 months later...

It Is Normal. Just Let It Dry Over A Week And See What Happens. If The Bubble Still Persist Time To Bring It Back. I Spent Over 300 Bucks On My Tint Job Ehhhhh. But Its Cool I Went To The Best Shop In San Diego And He Did A Really Good Job Cant Complain. Got 5% In The Back And 20% In Front. Not Legal For California Laws But O Welps Who Going To Pull Over A Lexus :P