K&n Air Filter Ls400

Ive heard the k&n air filter is the best air filter to buy due to better gas mileage, added horse power and it lasts forever as long as its cleaned. Does anybody have one of these? and if so, does it really make a huge differance?

Thanks

It's a simple matter to perform your own objective test: take out your old air filter, vacuum the loose dirt out of the filter element and also clean the air filter housing of any loose dust and dirt. Next take a 1/2 inch drill bit and drill several holes in the filter element and reinstall. Now go for a drive and see if you notice any power gain.

It's a simple matter to perform your own objective test: take out your old air filter, vacuum the loose dirt out of the filter element and also clean the air filter housing of any loose dust and dirt. Next take a 1/2 inch drill bit and drill several holes in the filter element and reinstall. Now go for a drive and see if you notice any power gain.

1/2" holes ? Kind of extreme. There is nothing wrong with a K&N filter. If properly maintained. ;)

Agreed dc B)

I did make the switch however to the new Amsoil Ea air filter on my new Subi.....wanted to give it a try. Much cheaper than the K & N (about half price & that does not include the 'cleaning kit' for the K & N filter as there is no cleaning kit needed for the new Amsoil filter), easier to clean, better filtration & lasts 100,000 miles. I've noticed a pretty big increase in my fuel economy after swapping out the OE paper filter.

If anyone is interested, here is some more info.....

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

they don't make one for an LS though

yes they do, just ordered mine yesterday, should come in by next week, ill let you know if it worth it. check out on ebay, bought mine for 52$USD shipped to Canada, not so bad. Here in stores, they sell them for around 90$USD.

oem filter should be cheaper but i dont know about quality compared to K&N, mine is really dirty thats why im buying a new one

• 4 months later...

Well here goes my first post ever...

I just bought an sc300 last wendesday, and it seemed a lot slower than one I test drove before. I checked the air filter and it was pretty dirty so I knocked the dirt off and vacumned it, then vacumned out the airbox which had some crap in it. I put it back in and it didnt really change the performance... Just about 3 hours ago today I stopped at a parts store and picked up the K&N drop in filter, I put it in in the parking lot and I have to say it DID make a little bit of a difference. It seemed faster, at least enough to notice. My friend in the car who was with me when I bought the car said it did feel faster too.

Other than that it is definitely a good investment due to the fact that it lasts forever, and since the cheap filter was $20- I just went ahead and spent the extra $40 for this one. I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

just check the seal for total contact on the entire surface to be sure,, bought one for my F350 Ford diesel and almost half the seal did not make contact allowing unfiltered air to enter the engine,, had heard the same issue from others on K&N filter owners on a Ford FTE site,,

• 1 year later...
Agreed dc B)

I did make the switch however to the new Amsoil Ea air filter on my new Subi.....wanted to give it a try. Much cheaper than the K & N (about half price & that does not include the 'cleaning kit' for the K & N filter as there is no cleaning kit needed for the new Amsoil filter), easier to clean, better filtration & lasts 100,000 miles. I've noticed a pretty big increase in my fuel economy after swapping out the OE paper filter.

If anyone is interested, here is some more info.....

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

:cheers:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm ordering it today.:)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. The best option would be to get an SRT intake/piggyback ECU designed for the GS400 and cut the intake pipe to make it fit the LS.

OR

go to home depot and construct your own intake piping, and purchase a cone filter that doesn't need to be oiled. If neither of those suits you, you can at least get rid of all the plastic air scoops and tubing leading to the air filter. Prob won't increase power, but makes the engine sound a bit throatier.

• 4 months later...