Repainting Sc400 Black

I have a couple of questions. I was reading on here that lexus did not put a clear coat on some new cars with black paint. When I have my car re-painted black should I have clear coat added. Also is genuine toyota/lexus paint available (for sale) and would it be better to use oem paint than just what ever the body shop uses.

Excellent question...I was thinking about this as well this past weekend. My black LS has a ton of white pits in it, especially on the roof and was curious how one would paint a car that has such soft paint and no clear coat..........

Excellent question...I was thinking about this as well this past weekend. My black LS has a ton of white pits in it, especially on the roof and was curious how one would paint a car that has such soft paint and no clear coat..........

Thanks for the response. Do you recommend spending the extra money for Toyota/Lexus paint?

I have a couple of questions. I was reading on here that lexus did not put a clear coat on some new cars with black paint. When I have my car re-painted black should I have clear coat added. Also is genuine toyota/lexus paint available (for sale) and would it be better to use oem paint than just what ever the body shop uses.

Paint code #202, It's soft paint. I would clear coat if you are getting it repainted. I have had black cars for over 12 years and I feel your pain. There is no better color for a car than black, But a major pain to maintain. The only real difference with black is that it shows everything. Other colors experience the same amount of wear and crud, chips, etc... but it is less noticable. Therefore people only think that other colors stay cleaner when in fact they are just as filthy as a black car.

Paint code #202, It's soft paint. I would clear coat if you are getting it repainted. I have had black cars for over 12 years and I feel your pain. There is no better color for a car than black, But a major pain to maintain. The only real difference with black is that it shows everything. Other colors experience the same amount of wear and crud, chips, etc... but it is less noticable. Therefore people only think that other colors stay cleaner when in fact they are just as filthy as a black car.

Should I spend the extra money for toyota/lexus oem paint?

Should I spend the extra money for toyota/lexus oem paint?

Only if you want oem color. Have it painted at a reputable shop with a warranty/guarantee.

Thanks for the response. Do you recommend spending the extra money for Toyota/Lexus paint?

Toyota/Lexus doesn't make paint, just make sure the paint is a high quality brand and you'll be fine. The paint is mixed to get the color anyways.

Whaaht ?!?!?! :huh:

Is this true?

When I get my IS, the first color choice for me was Black... but I'm freaked out about owning a car with no clear coat.

Should this be a concern?

Why does Lexus clear all colors except Black?

I'm confused, please explain.... :blink:

New Lexus have clearcoated black, the started clearcoating them about 2001. Its not really a big deal, in fact the single stage Lexus black is some of the easiest paint to polish out.

• 1 year later...
New Lexus have clearcoated black, the started clearcoating them about 2001. Its not really a big deal, in fact the single stage Lexus black is some of the easiest paint to polish out.

Yes, my understanding is that the main reason for not clearcoating the black is how small chips appear. With a clearcoat over the black you end up with little white spots where in a non-clearcoated finish, the chip (if not all the way to the metal) remains black and certainly an easier DYI repair. Also, due to the lack of clearcoat, there are several more layers of black making it quite forgiving when polishing out scratches. I've had a lot of success polishing out several scratches on my 98 LS400.

Also, I read another article recently at http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Properly-...r&id=240403 that talks about using a small amount of laquer to blend in small chips and intend to try it to see if this will save me from having to repaint the front end. If anyone has tried this, I'd like to know what success you had. I'd really like to get the paint back close to 100% as possible so I can replace the gold emblems on the car which a previous detailer completely ruined by buffing them... duh...