Nitrogen For Your Tires

I've got nitrogen, and I'm *BLEEP*ed that they lost my chrome valve caps when they slapped those green ones on. Back to the point, no benefit noted as of yet, nitrogen is purged and refilled monthly... since its free.. no fuel economy increases either.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has a different view , one thing i would add is if you do not have a perfect seal there is nothing nitrogen can do to reduce the amount of loss of air through a gap as that has nothing to do with the air leaving through the actual tire.

If you want to know for sure with out losses use green slime in the tires first to seal them then fill with nitrogen.

Green slime is 100% completely safe for wheels . It cannot damage anything compared to other tire fixes or seals it is a maintenance and damage fix. Check it out it is great stuff unlike emergency inflator type additives. I did one of my stock wheels and i ended up finding a leak on my bead even though it was not loosing any air but it still leaked in a 2 inch wide area on the lip and left a black streak. I really love the stuff.

non flammable, non-toxic, non-aerosol, cleans up with water and lasts for up to 2 years

green slime page

• 3 weeks later...

I run a rim and tire store in WESTERN NC and maybe its the cheaper tires but every tire I have ever ran across one that was "nitrogen" filled it was seperated on the inside and had went flat (yes i know running a tire flat breaks the inside down) but I have seen a few and all of them went flat and had this distinct smell to them.

I am guessing the automotive world researched the nitrogens affect on rubber, before using it? :huh:

I run a rim and tire store in WESTERN NC and maybe its the cheaper tires but every tire I have ever ran across one that was "nitrogen" filled it was seperated on the inside and had went flat (yes i know running a tire flat breaks the inside down) but I have seen a few and all of them went flat and had this distinct smell to them.

I am guessing the automotive world researched the nitrogens affect on rubber, before using it? :huh:

That makes absolutely zero sense when you realize that air is already 78% nitrogen.

I'm an engineer in the tire industry. I've worked for a major passenger tire manufacturer and now work in off-road tires. I can assure everyone that using nitrogen in passenger tires is completely a gimmick. As others pointed out, the reason it is used in racing, aircraft, and large excavators is that the membrane process of removing the water vapor from the air also removes the oxygen, leaving only nitrogen. You are far better off to regularly check your air pressure than to think about replacing your air with nitrogen. As for your car riding or driving better with nitrogen in the tires, my car is always a little peppier after I've washed it. It's purely psychological.

Very interesting. B)

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

The benefits of having nitrogen in your tires is huge.. in the winter their is not cold fluctuation say your tires might go down to like 28 pounds this is where you would lose your mpg's.. then when you start driving the psi might go up to 34-36 when they get hot.. the nitrogen keeps them constant at say 32 psi or wherever you set them to so their is not heat buildup.. that is where the mpg's are saved.. but if you check ur psi regularly their shouldn't be much of an issue its mostly for the lazy folks who just drive their car and don't ever care for it. I have a shop in nj and we sell a ton of it their are a lot of people who love it some who are very skeptical about it. I personally have it in my trucks for deliveries and it runs pretty good any added mpg's always helps especially now with the gas prices.. Nascar and air plane's use it so they don't get that heat buildup when their driving.. yes regular air is about 75 % nitro . but to get the effects of this you need to have about 93% in there our machine by air products gets it to 99% purity it purges the tires twice and their is a gauge that tells you how much nitrogen is in your tires kind of like a regular air gauge..

Again, air is already almost 80% nitrogen and personally when I had nitrogen in my tires I saw fluctuations in air pressure just like I saw with normal air which makes perfect sense to me, since normal air is almost all nitrogen!

As mentioned before it has to be purged atleast twice to get a higher concentration of nitrogen other wise no difference is felt. If you had a higher concentration you would have seen no change in pressures or temperatures as i did with mine.

This summer after reinstalling my tires filled with normal air once again the sound of bumps in the road echoes back through the suspension.

My tires were installed and inflated originally with nothing but nitrogen.

Any improvement in temperature level or economy notwithstanding, I don't see how your improved road noise can not be in your head.

My tires were installed and inflated originally with nothing but nitrogen.

Any improvement in temperature level or economy notwithstanding, I don't see how your improved road noise can not be in your head.

This reminds me of the feeling one gets after a car wash, The car runs better, Right ? You clean the wheels and tires and the car handles better, Right ? I think it a feelgood difference. And there is nothing wrong with feeling good about your lexus, Right ?

Like i explained earlier different gasses in different concentrations will have a different sound resonance. Higher levels of Nitrogen happens to dampen it more than air.

Does a tire at 50 psi not have a higher louder resonance than one at 35?

You guys run your cars with larger cavity tires at lower pressures. Ever hit a under inflated tire and it thuds compared to an over inflated one and it echoes.

Has anyone here commented besides me on the noise running a 20 inch wheel with 30 profile sidewalls and nitrogen or driving over 2000km on them in one trip?

I run my low profiles at 50 so i do hear more sound echoing through then over imperfections on the road with air.

Now if nitrogen is agreed to be more dense .And the denser an object of matter is will reduce sound waves traveling through it . Will this not cause the density to cancel or muffle out reverbed sound waves ?

Why is this so hard to believe , to the point where i feel berated that it is compared to a car wash?

If you can't come up with a reason why not ,then how is that disproving its existence just because you can't see its possibilities?

Just to be a horses !Removed!, a clean car is faster and quieter ,remember aerodynamics and co efficient of drag? Who else believes it , every single race team in the world and just for fun the little race simulator Grand turismo.

dirt = drag

dirt = increased wind noise from turbulence

Like i explained earlier different gasses in different concentrations will have a different sound resonance. Higher levels of Nitrogen happens to dampen it more than air.

Does a tire at 50 psi not have a higher louder resonance than one at 35?

You guys run your cars with larger cavity tires at lower pressures. Ever hit a under inflated tire and it thuds compared to an over inflated one and it echoes.

Has anyone here commented besides me on the noise running a 20 inch wheel with 30 profile sidewalls and nitrogen or driving over 2000km on them in one trip?

I run my low profiles at 50 so i do hear more sound echoing through then over imperfections on the road with air.

Now if nitrogen is agreed to be more dense .And the denser an object of matter is will reduce sound waves traveling through it . Will this not cause the density to cancel or muffle out reverbed sound waves ?

Why is this so hard to believe , to the point where i feel berated that it is compared to a car wash?

If you can't come up with a reason why not ,then how is that disproving its existence just because you can't see its possibilities?

Just to be a horses !Removed!, a clean car is faster and quieter ,remember aerodynamics and co efficient of drag? Who else believes it , every single race team in the world and just for fun the little race simulator Grand turismo.

dirt = drag

dirt = increased wind noise from turbulence

My apoligies, I have done my research and conclude that there is a considerable positive difference with nitrogen in automobile tires.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tire...n-filled-tires/

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/archive...php/t-4278.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen

I might add that it is a feelgood alternative. I will feelgood when I switch over :cheers:

After reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LS_430 One could only imagine that a clean car vs. a dirty car would only be "felt" at maximum speed over a predetermined time period. Not by the seat of your pants. :cheers:

Thanks,

I agree you will never "feel" the difference in a clean car but it will save you atleast 4-8 cents per tank of gas.

The otehr thing i might mention is ever notice the amount of moisture sprayed out of those gas station air compressors when you press the handle . Not having so much moisture is a great reason alone to have nitrogen for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Now if nitrogen is agreed to be more dense .And the denser an object of matter is will reduce sound waves traveling through it . Will this not cause the density to cancel or muffle out reverbed sound waves ?....

Nitrogen is less dense.

Like I said before, I have extensive engineering experience in this area. I've used nitrogen generators for gas-assist injection molding and in high-pressure off-road equipment tires. I've spent a week in technical training at one of the largest suppliers of nitrogen generators to the U.S. Navy for use on aircraft cariers. You can choose to believe me or not. The effect you feel at passenger car volumes, pressures and temperatures is purely psychological. Costco has a good thing going there for themselves.

Your an engineer mkeeny ?

BTW costco does it for free so what am i losing and them gaining?

Yes, I'm an engineer. I design tires for off-road equipment - excavators, tractors, loaders, etc. I don't mean to be combative at all. I just don't want anyone paying extra money to put nitrogen in their auto tires thinking they're going to see a world of difference in their performance. If you're happy with nitrogen and Costco does it for free, then continue using it. However, the best thing you can do for your tires is keep them properly inflated. Nitrogen doesn't reduce heat buildup- proper inflation does. You're far better off to refill your tires with moist air than to drive them under-inflated with nitrogen.

Not trying to be combative at all as i am no engineer by any reach of the imagination.

One of my biggest reason of belief in nitro in tires is from a double engineer running maintenance for all of an American airline company.

They do use it and so does he in his cars. I agree with the under inflation issue but i always check mine. While driving with air my pressure fluctuate 5-8 lbs after driving while the 2 tires on nitro do not change at all.