Shift Selector Button Sticking

dpeck

The gear selector sticks intermitently i had to rescue my wife as she could not get the car out of park. I got it to work for a while after getting the car home I put it in and out of park about 2 dozen times no sticking then it stuck again had to play around with it to get it to work again. Does anyone know how to take it apart and clean or adjust the push button? the switch on the brake pedal does it also control the brake lights?

It could be the brake pedal switch, or the solenoid that releases the shift lever lock or the wiring in between. Show your wife where the manual release for the shift lever lock is that she can depress to put the car in gear. It's under the little pryup cover near the gearshift lever in case she gets stranded again.

Yep, I agree that it is best to check the switch at the brake pedal first -- it is a very common problem -- been there, done that. On my first LS, the switch failed gradually until I could no longer get the gear selector out of Park without using the hidden override button. Fortunately, this is inexpensive to fix.

Quite possibly so, it's the car manufacturers way of protecting us from ourselves. It goes back to the mid 80's I believe where everyone was claiming that the Audi was auto accelerating and killing people while the manufacturers were convinced that some drivers didn't know the difference between the brake pedal and the accelerator. Now, you can't shift US cars transmission out of park without having your foot on the brake pedal. I think that feature is on every car with an automatic transmission sold in the US, I may be wrong.

Quite possibly so, it's the car manufacturers way of protecting us from ourselves. It goes back to the mid 80's I believe where everyone was claiming that the Audi was auto accelerating and killing people while the manufacturers were convinced that some drivers didn't know the difference between the brake pedal and the accelerator. Now, you can't shift US cars transmission out of park without having your foot on the brake pedal. I think that feature is on every car with an automatic transmission sold in the US, I may be wrong.

the Audi was auto accelerating and killing people while the manufacturers were convinced that some drivers didn't know the difference between the brake pedal and the accelerator.

It's Audi, no wonder........................

My then girlfriend (now my wife) had one. The Audi just about queered the deal...................