Momentary Film On Windshield After Wiper Swing

I don't know whether it is because the wiper is pressing too hard on the windshield or somthing else. When the wiper swings past, there is somthing like a white film that remains on the windshield momentarily. The film affects visibility, but it goes away in 1-2 seconds after the wiper passes.

Do you have the same problem? Appreciate if you could give me some suggestions to sort out the problem.

Thanks

I don't know whether it is because the wiper is pressing too hard on the windshield or somthing else. When the wiper swings past, there is somthing like a white film that remains on the windshield momentarily. The film affects visibility, but it goes away in 1-2 seconds after the wiper passes.

Do you have the same problem? Appreciate if you could give me some suggestions to sort out the problem.

Thanks

This sqeegee effect is very normal on new or good wiper blades. Nothing to worry about. ;)

Thanks

Put a drop of water on a glass table top and watch how long it takes to evaporate..

Now, squeegee another one of equal size "flat", into a thin film, and notice that it evaporates a whole lt quicker.

Hi Eric

I have had a smeary windscreen that was caused by the glass surface being etched by a bromide fumigant. My car was an import from Singapore in a container. Right hand drive in Singapore as in NZ.

After trying all common cleaners and old fashioned potions including vinegar, (mild acid) acetone, isopropyl, methelated, turps, kerosine and what ever, it was without a doubt not dirt. I had considered as you were, a pressure problem but had to be the glass surface itself. The imperfections were not visible when the glass was wet or dry but when the wiper made a pass over the window especially at night the glass was opaqued with a recurring pattern for a few seconds.

The best advice I could get was. "Oh well mate that is what you have got a glass and windscreen extension on your insurance for. Smash the thing and get a new one."

With this in mind I took a risk and polished the windscreen with tooth paste and plenty of water on a soft cloth. It worked fine.

It takes a bit of elbow greese and a bit of time but it is a fix that I recomend if you need it.

Windscreen clarity and freedom from stone chips infront of the driver is tested in New Zealand for a Warrent Of Fitness renewed every six months so the insurance was liable save for the fact that the car should not have got it W O F before I bought it.

Hi Guys, I've just returned to the forum after a few days of busy work.

Thanks for all your suggestions and directions. The number of responses is out of my expectation. Thank you all. I'll try what you have suggested.

• 2 years later...

Thanks

wax the windshield? or the blades? or both?