2004 Lx Mpg Questions

DB S600

Hello:

I am the owner of a 2004 LX and I feel - as of recently - that my MPG has gone down and that I am refilling the tank all too often. In fact, I have always felt that the tank of my vehicle was insufficient because prior to the LX I had a 1999 Denali - and I didn't recall refilling as much as I did and currently do with the LX.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there any recommended way to improve MPG on this vehicle <-- I know, I know this is probably the magic question for everyone these days, but anything in particular for this vehicle. I have 35k miles on the truck and have performed all routine maintenance

2. Has anyone heard of adding an extended gas tank? Anything that would not be obtrusive to the interior of the vehicle. Something to compensate for how much gas this think actually eats - so that I don’t have to refill so often

3. I know that the manual says that premium should be used - and I have used this octane thus far. But how about a lower octane fuel? I know too that this might cause a decrease in MPG - but can this be substituted without damaging the vehicle / engine?

4. Would adding a rear spoiler improve MPG - or is this simple a styling cue?

and one last one... 5. I know that the 2006 has a revised engine management system (increased horsepower) - but do the '06's also come with improve fuel economy?

Thanks so much! And insight would be much appreciated!

JD

Hello:

I am the owner of a 2004 LX and I feel - as of recently - that my MPG has gone down and that I am refilling the tank all too often. In fact, I have always felt that the tank of my vehicle was insufficient because prior to the LX I had a 1999 Denali - and I didn't recall refilling as much as I did and currently do with the LX.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there any recommended way to improve MPG on this vehicle <-- I know, I know this is probably the magic question for everyone these days, but anything in particular for this vehicle. I have 35k miles on the truck and have performed all routine maintenance

2. Has anyone heard of adding an extended gas tank? Anything that would not be obtrusive to the interior of the vehicle. Something to compensate for how much gas this think actually eats - so that I don’t have to refill so often

3. I know that the manual says that premium should be used - and I have used this octane thus far. But how about a lower octane fuel? I know too that this might cause a decrease in MPG - but can this be substituted without damaging the vehicle / engine?

and one last one... 5. I know that the 2006 has a revised engine management system (increased horsepower) - but do the '06's also come with improve fuel economy?

JD

see my answers in your other posts.

Thank you for your posts.

In response, my 2004 is getting between 11 and 14 MPG. (by my own calculations - not the onboard comp.)

Thank you,

JD

Hello:

I have a few questions:

JD