Stop Light

Grandpa

The problem with my rear tailight is that I bought a brand new set of 1157LL lights to replace my "burnt out" stop lights. However, when I went to replace the "burnt out" lights on the left hand side of the car, the new ones don't turn on when I press the brake, however, the tailight works when I turn my lights on. This occurs on both the top and bottom of the stop light on the left side; my lights on the right hand side are perfectly fine, tailight and stop light. I was wondering if this is a fuse problem, electrical problem, or what and how to resolve this. I drive a 92' LS 400 and I have bought two Sylvian 1157LL lights now and the problem persists

Grandpa,

I remembered some discussion about wiring and tail lights. Below is a copy of one response. If this does not help do a search for trunk wiring tail lights etc. Hope this is your problem.

LaserRon

Quoted elsewhere:

A very common problem on the early LS models involves a broken wire in the wiring harness which is attached to the driver side trunk hinge. I have never heard of this problem causing the exact same thing that you are experiencing; however, it does cause numerous electrical problems which manifest themselves in strange ways. You can read the numerous posts about this problem by using the "Search" function.

The wire involved is white with a black stripe. It is a ground wire. Pull the wires loose from the trunk hinge, remove some of the tape around them, and look for this particular wire. The wire may be broken. If so, repair the break by splicing a short length of new wire into it. The problem apparently occurs because this particular wire is too short. The flexing as the trunk opens and closes eventually puts enough strain on the wire to break it.

Another possibility is that you have corrosion in the taillight socket. Clean all electrical contact points where the bulb mates with the socket. Another thing to try is bending the contacts at the bottom of the socket to make them fit tighter to the bulb

Another possibility is that you have corrosion in the taillight socket. Clean all electrical contact points where the bulb mates with the socket. Another thing to try is bending the contacts at the bottom of the socket to make them fit tighter to the bulb

Now I'm not sure if this is corroded or not... if so, how do I clean it?

CIMG0166.jpg

Now I'm not sure if this is corroded or not... if so, how do I clean it?

Definately corroded. Probably have one light in the bulb work and not the other.

Make sure the lights are off. Get some fine steel wool. "OOO" and form it into a cylinder and push it in the socket and turn as it hits bottom. Take it out look and keep working until both terminals are shiny.

Be very careful to blow out all bits of steel wool or pick it out with needle nose pliers. Just blow with your mouth. Should do the trick.

Bet both lights work now!!!

LaserRon