Rear Ac Problem Finally Addressed But Clunk Is Back!

Reggie

Rear AC noise has been a problem since delivery of my 2004. Every time I took it to the dealer, the report was "unable to duplicate problem." My wife and I have both heard the noise, as have my entire office staff of 12 people, who have ridden with me from time to time over the past 18 months. In fact, the first time I took the new 2004 out with my office staff, one of my nurses, who was in the back seat said, "there's a funky noise coming from your air conditioner back here."

So, I subscribed to alldatadiy.com and read the TSB's for the GX470. Sure enough, there is a rear AC problem, and a TSB with how to address the problem.

Last time in to the dealer, Jim Hudson Lexus of Augusta, Georgia, the service advisors still refused to believe there was a problem. You'd think a business with a reputation for service would listen to a customer, particularly one with two Lexus vehicles in the family. But, no! Finally, today, I was driving near the dealer when the noise started yet again.

Just a rehash of prior dealer service problems. It took Jim Hudson Lexus 15 months to finally find and replace a tire with a slow leak from day one. The rear end clunk was also finally addressed after 15 months of denial by the dealer as well, but has returned after the lubricate it quick fix.

I bought the Lexus to replace a Chevrolet Suburban, hoping for better service from Lexus than from Chevrolet, but Jim Hudson Lexus has not lived up to its reputation.

Is my disappointment with Lexus service unique to the Jim Hudson Lexus dealership, or is Lexus in the US just practicing corporate denial that the GX470 has problems?

Sorry to hear about your problems...It does sound like a dealership problem. I just took my GX in for the second time regarding the clunk. The first time I could not reproduce it during a test drive. This time I said drive it til you experience the clunk. I said I did not want it back until it was fixed. They ordered the new parts (TSB on clunk) that day.

Change dealer, if possible. Sewell Lexus in Dallas is one of the best dealer groups (they also trade in Cadillac, Saab, Hummers, GMC products) is exemplary. First time I brought my wife's GX in for the rear "thumb" (as if rear-ended) noise, they didn't even try to reproduce by driving with me; they just took it in and had the driveshaft replaced. The noise is back, of course, since there's no long-term fix for it, but the service experience was what's staying with you!

Change dealer, if possible. Sewell Lexus in Dallas is one of the best dealer groups (they also trade in Cadillac, Saab, Hummers, GMC products) is exemplary. First time I brought my wife's GX in for the rear "thumb" (as if rear-ended) noise, they didn't even try to reproduce by driving with me; they just took it in and had the driveshaft replaced. The noise is back, of course, since there's no long-term fix for it, but the service experience was what's staying with you!

Thanks for the advice. I'd change dealers if there were another in Augusta, Georgia. Unfortunately, the nearest dealer, in Columbia, South Carolina, is also owned by Jim Hudson.

Regarding Sewell Lexus in Dallas - I've bought floor and trunk mats, and the navigation system upgrade from them on ebay. They are a quality dealer; I'm just sorry I'm not 600 miles closer to them.

Please see my new post about service surveys. Is deleting unsatisfied customers from the mailing list how Lexus boosts its reputation for quality?

The noise is back, of course, since there's no long-term fix for it, but the service experience was what's staying with you!

Actually there is a supposed "fix". Mine is in now for the TSB for "clunk" although the parts are on backorder since there are so many with this problem.

The noise is back, of course, since there's no long-term fix for it, but the service experience was what's staying with you!

Actually there is a supposed "fix". Mine is in now for the TSB for "clunk" although the parts are on backorder since there are so many with this problem.

What do you mean "no fix"? There is now a real fix that replaces many parts. Mine was done a couple of weeks ago, and I just got back from a 3000 mile road trip - still no clunk.