Hey I have a Silver IS350, And Iam thinking about getting tint done does anyone have any pics they can share? Preferably with the silver color, I can't decide if it's worth it. I mean the windows on the Is are already UV protected, aren't they? So it won't really do anything to protect the interrior. So is it worth it? And if I do get it done, how much should I pay to get it done with QUALITY? And where should I go, Lexus? My friend advised tint world, apprently they give you a gurantee as well. I live in Fl in the Coral Springs area. And apprently there are different kinds of tint, which one is best? My friend advised "stealth" is that good? I want dark but still legal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!!

What color interior do you have? If it’s black, then the tint will look darker from the outside. I like a nice 35%, with black interior it looks nice and dark from the outside but you can see out of it from the interior. You can go 20% but to me that’s to dark, makes seeing at night a pain. A quality job on a 4 door should run you around $200-$250 anything cheaper chances are they are using crappy tint. Your best bet is to do some research around your area on the shops.

Yea, I have a black interior. Iam going to do more research but I like the 35% because I don't want to not see anything at night lol. Thanks for all the info, the tinting is just cosmetic right, it does absoloutly nothing for the interrior, correct?

What color interior do you have? If it’s black, then the tint will look darker from the outside. I like a nice 35%, with black interior it looks nice and dark from the outside but you can see out of it from the interior. You can go 20% but to me that’s to dark, makes seeing at night a pain. A quality job on a 4 door should run you around $200-$250 anything cheaper chances are they are using crappy tint. Your best bet is to do some research around your area on the shops.

Yea, I have a black interior. Iam going to do more research but I like the 35% because I don't want to not see anything at night lol. Thanks for all the info, the tinting is just cosmetic right, it does absoloutly nothing for the interrior, correct?

You should notice quite a difference, especially when driving with the sun to your left. The car will cool down quicker and stay cool easier when driving on the highway. It should be especially helpful in FL.

Hm that's a pretty good point, :cheers:

You should notice quite a difference, especially when driving with the sun to your left. The car will cool down quicker and stay cool easier when driving on the highway. It should be especially helpful in FL.

That is a good point, but let's hope that never happens :o Because I wouldn't want to go through the pain of seeing glass broken on my IS.....Oh yea and I would hate for anyone to get hurt lol :cheers:

Another good point is that if the glass is ever broken it will hold the many pieces together to keep it from entering the cabin and hitting passengers.

After I installed all new leather in my SC400, I decided to tint my windows. What a difference. It cut the heat by like 50%. I would insist on a reputable brand though. I've had friends who get these "great" deals on tint and end up sorry a year later, paying way more to have the old tint removed and then the job done right. Pay someone and get it done right! You don't want to go with the lowest bidder on tint. I went with a very well known installer who handled LLumar brand tint (www.LLUMAR.com)(the semi-metallic variety in black). I've been very happy. I put limo (5%) on the rear and back quarters, then maximum legal (25%) on the two front sides. I have found that I have no vision problems at all, although it seems like you would. They say that legal is 20%, but your glass is produced with a very slight tint from the factory, so they end up using like a 25%-30% tint film. Actually, I find it very peaceful. My A/C is freezing cold now too...and I live in Houston. I was kind of afraid it would end up looking "ghetto", but it turned out killer (with a dark green body at least). Also, I noticed that gang bangers don't start sh#t with me at red lights anymore, now that they can't see who they are jacking with. Classic fear of the unknown I guess. It's like my little cocoon now. You'll love it, too.

Also, I noticed that gang bangers don't start sh#t with me at red lights anymore, now that they can't see who they are jacking with. Classic fear of the unknown I guess. It's like my little cocoon now.

Hahaha :lol::lol:

How much did you end up paying for yours?

I paid like $160. Worth every penny. That back window was a b*tch. He had to do it twice. Not only is it so cramped back there, but apparently the defroster elements degrade on the older cars ('93) and debris from it gets caught in the new film. I could tell he wasn't a happy camper. He then cleaned the back window very carefully and the second attempt was damn near perfect. This guy was awesome. He took it upon himself to re-do the rear window. Someone who gives a sh*t is a rare thing these days. If anyone is near Houston "X-Treme Auto Tint" on FM1960.

Also, I had friends get their cars tinted and find that the back window consists of several pieces. Make sure they are giving you one full piece in the back. Also, if you do go with Llumar, get the lifetime semi-metallic. Llumar makes the cheap stuff too and you don't want it. You can tell the metallic blend because in sunlight, although my tint is black, it has more of a reflective appearance. Makes it hard to see into the vehicle from the outside. Because of this, it's actually easier to see me in my vehicle in low light than in the daylight. Kind of strange. Good luck.

The percentage of UV blocked by tint is substantially greater than the nominal tint that came on your car from the factory. The value of window tint is far more than just cosmetic. The leather wheel on my first LS likely would not have faded badly if I had not waited 12 years to have the side windows tinted. And I doubt if I would have as much serious sun damage on my left arm if I had had tinted the side windows since I have little damage on my right arm.

We have 35% tint (the legal limit in Kansas) on both our cars and I wish we could go darker. Here is what 35% looks like my LS on a bright summer day: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&cmd=si&img=818

If you don't already have one, consider buying a custom window shade for your windshield -- the Covercraft one I bought was usuable for the entire 13+ years I owned my first LS: http://www.autoanything.com/driving-access...0A1228A0A0.aspx

I bought a similar Covercraft shade for my 00 LS and almost always use it when the car is parked outside during the day for more than an hour.

We have the 35% limit on the front windows as well here in Ontario which I agree is too light. I just got back this morning from picking my 06 Forester XT from the tint shop.......I used 22% on all windows (which is a medium shade). It's pouring rain here so I haven't had a chance to take pics of the car, but it looks awesome & I got a fantastic deal.

The shop used Solar Gard HP-Charcoal series 22% film along with a computer laser machine for a perfect fit & no cuts on the seals of the doors....is scratch resistant with a lifetime warranty. B)

The three most popular tint brands for quality are Solar Gard, Llumar & Diamond window films.......3M is also a popular choice too.

:cheers:

Awesome!!!! It definitly sounds worth it, I'll probably tint it in November but hopefully sooner!! And when I do I'll post some pics. I look forward to it being my "little cocoon" :cheers:

Definitely post some pictures. Will be getting my, well my wife's, IS 350 tinted next Thursday. Matadore Red with Gray interior. Live in South FL and it is the only way to go. Medium charcoal of some kind I think. I let the pro decide. Godd luck. I will post pictures.

Awesome!!!! It definitly sounds worth it, I'll probably tint it in November but hopefully sooner!! And when I do I'll post some pics. I look forward to it being my "little cocoon" :cheers:

Definitely post some pictures. Will be getting my, well my wife's, IS 350 tinted next Thursday. Matadore Red with Gray interior. Live in South FL and it is the only way to go. Medium charcoal of some kind I think. I let the pro decide. Godd luck. I will post pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow I have been looking around for a good tint since you have the radio antena in the rear window I heard that it causes interference, a couple of places in so cal want to charge $450 for tinting all 5 windows I think the cheapest was $375. so am still looking

any good place in the san diego area?

Wow I have been looking around for a good tint since you have the radio antena in the rear window I heard that it causes interference, a couple of places in so cal want to charge $450 for tinting all 5 windows I think the cheapest was $375. so am still looking

any good place in the san diego area?

wow. that's quite a bit. I remember, when my dad had the Ody tinted, all seven windows (5 in the back, and the 2 in the front) only costed him $200. That was a Lumar tint. He's had it for two years now, and so far so good, no bubbles, and isn't turning purple or anything. ;)