Has Anyone Ever Had Their Timing Belt Break On An Ls?

jc19907

Poll -

Anyone ever had their timing belt break on any year LS?

Curious?

If so, what kind of driver are you? Aggressive, middle of the road or granny Clampet?

If so, what was your milage etc? give particulars...

THX

Some Ls belts have broken as early as 90K and others lasted as long as 150-190K. For decades its been known that young aggressive drivers wear out automobile timing belts and timing chains much more quickly than calm, relaxed, highway drivers.

I am a somewhat agressive drive and didn't chage mine until 134,000. I have the 97 which I understand was built before the high performance engines so it would not have damaged the engine if it did break.

I guess it depends on what year your car is and is it vulnerable to damage if it does break.

Bill

- this thread seems to inspire folks. So, far so good -

no breaks yet... I'm going to keep up with this one to

find out. Most of the folks on a Lexus forum website are probably going to be

meticulas about maintaining their cars. So, this is liable to be a unproductive post.

Anyway, I still look forward to hearing more talk on it...

i read about a 95 owner whose timing belt did break and ruined the engine. he proclaims that 95+ are interference engines. he even checked the repair manual which states that the crankshaft has to be in a certain place while changing the timing belt so that no damage occurs. but as for me nope.

i read about a 95 owner whose timing belt did break and ruined the engine. he proclaims that 95+ are interference engines. he even checked the repair manual which states that the crankshaft has to be in a certain place while changing the timing belt so that no damage occurs. but as for me nope.

Yes, I have read all over the web that 95+ are inteference engines, so it is best to change them at the recommended 90K. Wish I had known this before I changed mine the last time. Could have saved some money. I think I changed mine at 177K last time. I am sitting at 278K, and have no intention of changing it, until it either breaks, or I discover it is frayed.

• 5 months later...

My '91 has 212,000 miles on it now. The last timing belt was changed at 75,000. So that makes this one 137,000 miles old. I just had it changed two days ago. I sleep better at night, and drive more agressively as well.

Poll -

Curious?

If so, what kind of driver are you? Aggressive, middle of the road or granny Clampet?

THX

• 1 month later...

My '91 has 212,000 miles on it now. The last timing belt was changed at 75,000. So that makes this one 137,000 miles old. I just had it changed two days ago. I sleep better at night, and drive more agressively as well.

Poll -

Curious?

THX

I have a 98' with 134k on it. In the event that the timing belt breaks before i get to replace it will it(or can it) damage my engine? I've heard about older ones being ok but i'm unsure about mine.....

Not only does how aggressively you drive affects the life of the belt but, the following affects it too:

1) Environment- Extreme temperatures (cold or hot climates) & Humidity

2) Manufacturing consistency

Since the belt is made of rubber, it can dry rot or degrade based on the conditions it is placed in.

My dad has a 91 LS with 93k on the north east (New York City) and it still has the original belt. He will probably drive it until it breaks and then replace it with a new one.

I love non-interence engines!!

I am going to buy a new cam cover when i get my belt done to replace the old one. I intend on cutting a window on it and placing some plexi glass over it so i can view the belt all the time to monitor it for wear and not have to go blindly into changing it again. This way i will know for sure when it needs to be replaced and not have to guess by millage and know it actual wear.

I am going to buy a new cam cover when i get my belt done to replace the old one. I intend on cutting a window on it and placing some plexi glass over it so i can view the belt all the time to monitor it for wear and not have to go blindly into changing it again. This way i will know for sure when it needs to be replaced and not have to guess by millage and know it actual wear.

Wow. That's actually a very good and creative idea!!

• 5 months later...

I just bought a 1992 LS400 with a broken timing belt. This is my second LS400, and this one is "to play with," so I knew exactly what I was getting into. The timing belt is frayed, split, broken: generally a thousand different ways of worn. The belt looks terrible. The car has 232,000 miles on it, and it wouldn't surprise me if the belt was from the initial 90k service. Maybe it's even the original one, who knows. It's likely that it's not the original, though.

From Canada here, so I'm using km. But our belt was replaced at 137000, car is now over 305000 and the belt is MINT. I was amazed, figure it's good for atleast another 10000km, probably more like 100000km. Was a nice surprise, saved alot of hassle. Also found out that old ford alternator bearings are an exact match to the LS400 91 tensioner pulley bearings, score! :)

But ya.. that belt seems golden. And I'm 99% sure that 95+ is interference. <3 for the pre 95 crew :)

From Canada here, so I'm using km. But our belt was replaced at 137000, car is now over 305000 and the belt is MINT. I was amazed, figure it's good for atleast another 10000km, probably more like 100000km. Was a nice surprise, saved alot of hassle. Also found out that old ford alternator bearings are an exact match to the LS400 91 tensioner pulley bearings, score! :)

But ya.. that belt seems golden. And I'm 99% sure that 95+ is interference. <3 for the pre 95 crew :)

It's not the look of the belt that you should be concerned about after the prescribed change interval. Stress points cannot be seen by the eye. And once they start to rip/tear it's too late. Lexus says 90K you should be able to go 110-120k. Sure it's expensive maintenance, But it is a hell of alot more if it snaps say in the middle of the dessert or on your way to the most important meeting of your career. ;)

I did the timing belt on my 1990 LS400, not knowing anything about how to replace it.. i just printed the instruction from another website and did it. I i replace the timing belt when my LS have 175k, not it has 215K and still running..

My water pump gave out at 130,000 miles, so it was time to change the belts, pulleys and pump. The belt did have surface crazing and minor cracking, whcih we had been keeping an eye on. Now, for a grand, she's good to go for another 130K.