I'll Be Damned, The Fuel Pump Got Me

sahtt

My post regarding my warm start problem is a few threads below.

Low and behold, C&C Northside Automotive down in Houston went well out of their way to try to help my problem; tested everything I told them too, and found it was the fuel pump. They kept the car an extra day just to try to recreate the problem.

After testing the regulator and a bunch of other stuff, they are very confident it is the fuel pump. He said failures aren't as rare as people think, as all it takes is run the car often with less than a 1/4 tank and it will overheat and start to degrade. I ran the car for almost a month with 1/4-1/8 tank because I primarily use motorcycles to get around and gas is killer.

I'm going to pick the car back up from him and decide what to do with it. Kurt, who I believe runs the place, also gave me a very fair price on the labor since I'm a college student.

The main point of this post is to warn others-our fuel pumps are not invincible. Keep 1/3 a tank of gas in your car if all you do is short trips as it is used to cool the fuel pump. The money I already paid for less competent shops to look at the car could pay for the fuel pump, unfortuantely it doesn't work that way.

Thats for the info,think that could the trouble ive got with my car.I have the same warm start with my car..

I was pleasently surprised in how easy it is to change the pump. Easy DIY job as long as you avoid blowing the car up due to gas fumes. I found an OEM quality pump for 100.00 and a TRE pump exactly like OEM for 60 shipped. I can get the pump cheaper than the regulator.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats for the info,think that could the trouble ive got with my car.I have the same warm start with my car..

I was pleasently surprised in how easy it is to change the pump. Easy DIY job as long as you avoid blowing the car up due to gas fumes. I found an OEM quality pump for 100.00 and a TRE pump exactly like OEM for 60 shipped. I can get the pump cheaper than the regulator.

Yeah, can't you get to the LS400 fuel pump, by just taking out the back seat? Having had to drop the fuel tank on a Lincoln about every year for 3 years, just removing the back seat to get to one would have to be cake.

I found an OEM quality pump for 100.00 and a TRE pump exactly like OEM for 60 shipped. I can get the pump cheaper than the regulator.

When you get the old factory pump out, it would be interesting to place it side by side with the TRE pump and take pictures of both of them. Lexus fuel pumps are made by Japanese companies like Nikki so I'd be very surprized if the TRE pump looks exactly like the factory original pump.

My post regarding my warm start problem is a few threads below.

Low and behold, C&C Northside Automotive down in Houston went well out of their way to try to help my problem; tested everything I told them too, and found it was the fuel pump. They kept the car an extra day just to try to recreate the problem.

After testing the regulator and a bunch of other stuff, they are very confident it is the fuel pump. He said failures aren't as rare as people think, as all it takes is run the car often with less than a 1/4 tank and it will overheat and start to degrade. I ran the car for almost a month with 1/4-1/8 tank because I primarily use motorcycles to get around and gas is killer.

I'm going to pick the car back up from him and decide what to do with it. Kurt, who I believe runs the place, also gave me a very fair price on the labor since I'm a college student.

The main point of this post is to warn others-our fuel pumps are not invincible. Keep 1/3 a tank of gas in your car if all you do is short trips as it is used to cool the fuel pump. The money I already paid for less competent shops to look at the car could pay for the fuel pump, unfortuantely it doesn't work that way.

Hey, sahtt ... just curious .. what YEAR is your LS 400????? Mine is a 95 ... I remember reading all through the owner manual when I bought my car (earlier this year) and it made some comment about not driving the car with a low amount of fuel in the tank ......... interesting ...... also how many miles do you have on your car?

I wonder just how long an original fuel pump will live in these cars?????

thanks ............

The electric fuel pumps in Toyotas almost never go bad if the fuel filter is changed at least every 100,000 miles and the owner uses a name brand gasoline (Chevron Shell, etc). The electric pump in my '92 Toyota pickup is still working fine at 469,000 miles.

The electric fuel pumps in Toyotas almost never go bad if the fuel filter is changed at least every 100,000 miles and the owner uses a name brand gasoline (Chevron Shell, etc). The electric pump in my '92 Toyota pickup is still working fine at 469,000 miles.

It's funny you say that because the Lexus dealer REFUSED to change my fuel filter saying the fuel lines were all rusted and that the "filter" is lifetime...It's kinda hard to have the filter changed when the dealership won't do it!

I find it hard to believe the fuel lines need replacing because of this...The car has always been garaged and well maintained...

-Sam