The "wood" On The Is....

Is it plastic or what is it made out of?

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but it looks like it's plastic. I just swapped out my ashtray for the JDM optional one.

th_Ashtray009.jpg

th_Ashtray004.jpg

th_Ashtray003.jpg

Is it plastic or what is it made out of?

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but it looks like it's plastic. I just swapped out my ashtray for the JDM optional one.

th_Ashtray009.jpg

th_Ashtray004.jpg

th_Ashtray003.jpg

It that's a Lexus OEM part, give it the burn test and see if it's wood. :D

The wood trim on every lexus is actually real wood even though it may be only a few mm thick. Just as someone said earlier there is a lot of lacqer on it that makes it look like plastic. And it is in fact made by Yamaha (they make pianos) and every piece in the car is supposed to match.

It absolutely is real, all Lexus use real wood. It is however a thin veneer bonded to a plastic backing. This is obviously cheaper and it keeps the wood from expanding and contracting with the elements. All carmakers do this.

You actually can see where the veneer ends and the plastic begins in clubfoot's pics.

It absolutely is real, all Lexus use real wood. It is however a thin veneer bonded to a plastic backing. This is obviously cheaper and it keeps the wood from expanding and contracting with the elements. All carmakers do this.

You actually can see where the veneer ends and the plastic begins in clubfoot's pics.

Absolutely 100% real wood.

In fact, check out Lexus' FAQ on cleaning.

Since it's real wood, they recommend a cleaner like pledge.

They say to spray it on a soft cloth to clean, and not to spray the cleaner directly onto the wood, since excessive amounts could cause the bonding material to break down.

It's a very thin veneer, but it is real wood.

Sidenote: Acura uses 100% fake wood in every model except the RL.

Lexus uses real wood in all of their models.

I like the wood look and all (prefer the aluminum look more) but it fingerprints really easy. Its like I clean it and 2 days later it’s all greasy looking. Its like I went to KFC and took the drumstick and started rubbing it on the wood.

I like the wood look and all (prefer the aluminum look more) but it fingerprints really easy. Its like I clean it and 2 days later it’s all greasy looking. Its like I went to KFC and took the drumstick and started rubbing it on the wood.

LMAO! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Good visual--Thats funny!

they put on a healthy slab of lacquer to protect the finish

Yeah, and it scratches real easy. In a couple of years it's not going to look very good. :( :angry:

I've got a 5 year old RX300 with 105k miles and the plasticky wood still looks the same. Not scratched. Maybe a bit "drumsticky" though...

they put on a healthy slab of lacquer to protect the finish

Yeah, and it scratches real easy. In a couple of years it's not going to look very good. :( :angry:

It can also be polished, thats one good thing about the lacquer. Mine still looks new after 70k, my dad's 98's wood still looked new after 160k too.