Fuel Economy Merged Threads

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have an 06 IS250 AWD and get 25.6mpg overall, have seen 28 on non-windy freeway driving. I drive 85% on highway and the rest in stop and go. My overall milage has gone down a bit since winter is in full force and I have been "warming up my car" for 15-20 min before driving on the 10 degree F or less mornings... Oh and the car starts fine in cold weather!

• 2 months later...

I just recently bought an 07 IS350 and am only getting 14mpg in they city. I was wondering what other people are getting in their is350. I am not driving it aggressively, so i was wondering why i am getting a much lower mpg rate than suggested.

I can only imagine 14 mpg living in San Francisco, using rotgut 89 octane, lead footing it from one light uphill to the next, and carrying a month's groceries in the trunk. Are you using the shift paddles or the auto?

Terry^^ you just basically described my car, kinda.

i use 91 octane, SUV, in san francisco, getting 13.2 and above constantly just in town driving.

theonlymo, if you have navigation, always keep it on the trip monitor which shows gas consumption. You will find yourself compulsively looking at it, trying to get the highest mileage. Part of it is maybe your driving style. Im not saying your an aggressive driver, but whever possible, try coasting and letting the car just glide down. DONT BRAKE UNLESS YOU HAVE TO. This is one of the most common problems. Scan the road ahead to see how the traffic is going. Dont follow people too closely so that you give them time to take off again so you dont have to brake.

i know that was a lot of info being thrown at you, but try it. also, if you do only intown driving, then that may be the result. Also, if your basing this on the trip computer, it might be wrong. Try doing the math yourself.

If you're getting less than 18 MPG in even the worst city driving, then there is something wrong.

If you get a chance take the car out on the road with a full tank and drive about 200 miles and fill up and see what you get for road miles.

Ive been driving it automatic, i havent tried the paddle shifters. Im using premium gas. My second tank of gas is averaging 16.5 MPG, that is half highway half city. I guess ill have to see how the next couple of tanks average out.

I just hit 20,000 miles on my 350 and in mixed highway/city driving I've averaged 24.4 mpg since day one. On pure highway driving I average between 28 and 31. I've never done pure city driving for a full tank, but mileage in the low to mid-teens sounds low. I usually run a tank or two of regular unleaded (87 octane in Colorado) in between a tank of premium unleaded (91 octane in Colorado) and have noticed no difference in mileage or performance (no knocking either). I would expect my mileage to be lower being at a mile high altitude compared to sea level. I think there's something wrong with your engine.

I took it to the dealer twice and the tech hooked it up to their computer. They say nothing is wrong with it and say that it must be my driving habit causing the bad gas mileage. However, i dont see how that can be the case, because even on cruise control i only got 22.5 mpg on the highway. I love the car, but am frustrated with the gas mileage.

I took it to the dealer twice and the tech hooked it up to their computer. They say nothing is wrong with it and say that it must be my driving habit causing the bad gas mileage. However, i dont see how that can be the case, because even on cruise control i only got 22.5 mpg on the highway. I love the car, but am frustrated with the gas mileage.

I don't think that's right. I'll get 25-26MPG on cruise at 75MPH and at least half of the distance on my trips is through some pretty hilly country in TN and KY.

I have a 07 IS350 with 5k miles on the odometer. With the ECT in power mode (always) and the transmission in automatic, I’ve been getting 23-24 mpg. My driving is (roughly) 70% highway / 30% city. I only use premium gas. My driving style is on the aggressive side.

My last car, a 06 Infiniti M45 Sport, averaged 19 mpg. My wife’s XC90 V8 gets 19-20 mpg. I would think that anything in the 13-15 range would be typical for a large pickup truck or SUV and not an IS350.

Regards,

NHMan

Is the fuel available in San Francisco of an ethanol base? So far ti would appear that only the major metropolitan areas on the east coast are getting sub par mileage.

My girl's 350 averages 22mpg.

--

Ronnie

I am a relative new IS250 owner. I got my new car on Friday night! :cheers:

I know there's similar post fir IS350 and I don't want to hi-jack others' message.

I drove about 220 miles and about 80% are on freeway. I don't think I drive aggressively. I don't drive hard and top speed about 75mile. Now, according to my display on the dash board, it shows that I only get 18.8mpg so far. Even those freeway miles are very smooth, not stop and go at all. When I was driving with my previous Accura TSX to work, I get about 30mpg.

What gives? Is it because the dealer didn't fill the tank w/ 91? How can I use my navi to check the drive status?

Thanks!

Andy

part of the reason may be because of the octane level. THe other part is that hte car isnt fully broken into yet. Dont drive it that rough for the first 500 miles. Keep the RPM meter moving regularly, and dont use cruise control.

the other part may be tire pressure. The dealers like to over inflate the tires so that they dont change shape when sitting on the lot.

on the nav, click on info, then trip info. something like that.

now now andy, are you really going to throw up because of this? welcome to the club btw

My 2007 IS250 has about 11K miles on it. I drive 85% Rural Highway and 15% Small Town traffic. The MPG Computer usually indicates 32 -34 MPG as a Tank Average. I use 93 Octane fuel.

Take Care. :cheers:

Speaking of this problem, I think my IS350 MPG is really bad too. I started to pay close attention to my average MPG on the system and it reads less then 18. Also, my range approximator only gives me around 300 at most 320 and that is about how many miles I get (I know this varies but thats about what I get in real miles). I made some calculations myself and if the tank is 17 gallons (if im not wrong) it should show and give a total of 357miles(21*17 this is calculating with city mpg only) for a full tank. I only get around 300 combined with city and freeway.. That is really bad now when I think about it... Tell me what you guys get for total, maybe I am over thinking.

Speaking of this problem, I think my IS350 MPG is really bad too. I started to pay close attention to my average MPG on the system and it reads less then 18. Also, my range approximator only gives me around 300 at most 320 and that is about how many miles I get (I know this varies but thats about what I get in real miles). I made some calculations myself and if the tank is 17 gallons (if im not wrong) it should show and give a total of 357miles(21*17 this is calculating with city mpg only) for a full tank. I only get around 300 combined with city and freeway.. That is really bad now when I think about it... Tell me what you guys get for total, maybe I am over thinking.

Ive been watching my mpg very closely too. The tank size is 17 gallons, but the range only gives you the range for 15 gallons. When my car said the range was 1 mile i put 15 gallons to fill it up, so that might be where your calculations arent adding up.

Im still only getting 15 mpg in the city and 23 on the highway, seems much lower than what the sticker said on the car. The dealer says that everything looks fine and the engine isnt running rich. Im not sure where the gas is going. Does anyone know what could be going on or is this something i just have to accept?

By no way I am taking TSX over IS250! IS250 is such a beauty and a great ride all together.

I will try to keep my speed down for the next week or so for the car to break-in. But why should I avoid cruise control?!

Maybe after I refuel the car that I can see some difference?!

Thanks!

I do 66% expressway at -usually- 80-90 MPH on average.

I drive aggresively during half the time.

I do 60 miles commute per day.

Average mpg between 19.5 and 21 depending on how heavy the foot was...

If I drive "leisurely" then it goes up to 24 mpg. same commute.

Flat all over, no hills, just overpasses...

Welcome to the Lexus experience, Andy!

My car usually gets right around 27 to 28 mpg, and that is on freeway, some stop and go, and some roads. When my husband used my car last week, around town, he was getting 24 mpg. I got it back up to 28 once I got on the freeway straightaway.

Well, this is my 2nd Lexus; so I'm a happy owner! :cheers: I just want to find out why I'm not getting the mpg....the search continues.

So, I need to keep my speed within 75mph yet, don't use cruise control. So, I can drive whatever style, as long as it doesn't get too max out?!

Andy