Fuel Economy Merged Threads

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My IS250 average MPG is 28.7 and thats about 70% freeway, although freeways in Los Angeles arent always a good gas savers.

Well, I'm driving in LA traffic as well, but the opposite direction. I'm going east bound/out of LA so the traffic ain't too bad. Maybe I will just wait out after my first 700 miles and check on my mpg afterward. <_<

As of yesterday, after I drove more than 300 miles, the dash says I'm averaging 22.4 miles. And that's very light on the gas paddle, but I'm trying to be easy during the break-in period after reading posts. Even my GS400 gets 24miles after 6 years of driving, so the new IS concerns me a bit.

Andy

My IS250 average MPG is 28.7 and thats about 70% freeway, although freeways in Los Angeles arent always a good gas savers.

Well, I'm driving in LA traffic as well, but the opposite direction. I'm going east bound/out of LA so the traffic ain't too bad. Maybe I will just wait out after my first 700 miles and check on my mpg afterward. <_<

As of yesterday, after I drove more than 300 miles, the dash says I'm averaging 22.4 miles. And that's very light on the gas paddle, but I'm trying to be easy during the break-in period after reading posts. Even my GS400 gets 24miles after 6 years of driving, so the new IS concerns me a bit.

Andy

And if this is the first tank of gas, and you don't know how it was driven on test drives before you bought it, could be a reason why. Just no heavy braking, ease into it, or sudden bursts of speed, lol!!! I'd put in a full tank, reset the mileage, and try that!!! Thank goodness you're not driving into L.A. Thus the reason I don't either. I just wish that I lived in L.A.!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried to calculate the mileage manually? Multi purpose display on my IS250 never shows over 22mpg avg. I drive mostly in city with little highway. I was expecting it be on the 24+ on avg. Anyway, once this initial tank of gas runs out, I am planning to measure the mpg manually ( distance driven/gallons purchased).

Andy

my is250 AT started off getting 19mpg. Tank avg was about 21 mpg. i drive in heave traffic constantly but even when i drive freely w/out stop and go i get about 22mpg tank avg. Sounds like we suffer from the same problem. after 2500 miles im getting 22avg and 23.5 tank avg. its getting better but not by much. As far as those posts saying they get 27-29... how do you do it!!!!!???? is something wrong w/ my car?

my is250 AT started off getting 19mpg. Tank avg was about 21 mpg. i drive in heave traffic constantly but even when i drive freely w/out stop and go i get about 22mpg tank avg. Sounds like we suffer from the same problem. after 2500 miles im getting 22avg and 23.5 tank avg. its getting better but not by much. As far as those posts saying they get 27-29... how do you do it!!!!!???? is something wrong w/ my car?

Hum, after my 2nd tank, I average about 29mpg on my freeway and about 26 when mix w/ 40% local and 60% freeway. I drive about 60-75 on freeway, and the locals are just locals...

I assume you are using prem. gas?!

Andy

Hum, after my 2nd tank, I average about 29mpg on my freeway and about 26 when mix w/ 40% local and 60% freeway. I drive about 60-75 on freeway, and the locals are just locals...

I assume you are using prem. gas?!

Andy

Yes...91

And did you look at your "Tank Avg" or "Avg"? Have you reset them? Did you actually measure the true MPG? Read your OD and see how much gas you have to pump. So, "OD Reading after refuel"/Gallon refueled; that will get your actual MPG

Andy

I have 450 mi, and my gauge says tank avg is b/t 21-22. But--when I filled up last week, and I calculated miles driven divided by gallons added at my fill up, mpg was 20, not the 22 the car was telling me.

tex2670,

Yes, I have seen a similar result as you did. The system is telling me that my MPG is about 1-1.5mpg more than my actual MPG. When I had my Acura TSX, their system's MPG is only about 0.2-0.5mpg higher than the actual MPG. No biggie, but maybe my tires are too inflated?!

Andy

Andy

Jaycetan! i am having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I too live in LA. My mileage is terrible and it upsets me greatly. i average around 17mpg in the city without freeway. Drove to bay area a few weeks ago and got 22mpg. I now have about 2500 miles on my IS250 and it does not seem to be getting any better. Am now thinking about selling it. i have no idea how/why people are getting 27/28mpg.

Only reason i got the 250 over the 350 is because i dont really need the extra HP and wanted the better MPG. At this rate though, i'm getting screwed on both, the low HP and the low MPG.

Has anyone talked to anyone at Lexus service? What do they have to say about all this?

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

:chairshot:

Speaking of this problem, I think my IS350 MPG is really bad too. I started to pay close attention to my average MPG on the system and it reads less then 18. Also, my range approximator only gives me around 300 at most 320 and that is about how many miles I get (I know this varies but thats about what I get in real miles). I made some calculations myself and if the tank is 17 gallons (if im not wrong) it should show and give a total of 357miles(21*17 this is calculating with city mpg only) for a full tank. I only get around 300 combined with city and freeway.. That is really bad now when I think about it... Tell me what you guys get for total, maybe I am over thinking.

Hi.. I have 20300 miles on my IS350 and the very worst mile per gal is around 20 mpg and as high as 30.3 mpg on the open road at 65-70 mph, I live in the Sacamento valley and use cruise control and air-cond ... I use the top grade at ARCO...Oh yes you mentioned the approximator, it bases it's mileage on the last tank average, mine always shows approx. 2-3 mpg worse than when I figure it gallons into miles driven.. I have kept book on my mpg from the first day..

When you really think about it 306 horse power and the weight any thing over 20 mpg is good... I also have the KNN airfilter installed, the mileage didn't change much from before I changed...

George

My IS 250 is about two months old. The first time i filled up the tank, the range said about 320, but each time i fill up it lowers more and more, This morning i filled up and the range said 293... Is this because the car is getting use to how you drive the car and making a more accurate estimate for the range?

Thanks

Need help on this topic.

My IS250 is about 7 months old and it has about 16K miles. I get 32 - 33 mpg (Tank Average) driving too & from work (mostly rural highway). I am pretty light on the acceleration as gas costs $3 per gallon.... :D

I average about 28-30mpg on a tank. I, too, make an effort to drive with a light foot so that might partly explain why. Also, ECT power mode seems to reduce mileage a bit.

Man see thats what i feel i should be getting, but it says around 18 mpg, i think its because i do most city driving, but the highway driving has good milage. I guess ill reset it and start from scratch.

• 1 month later...

Something must be wrong, I can't even imagine getting only 13, 14 or 16 MPG...that's unaceptable. Though I drive mostly on the freeway, I'm on the 405 in LA (LA people, you know how horrible that freeway is), and it's bumper to bumper, stop and go...and, when I get a chance 80 MPH on average, I should be getting no more than 17 to 18MPG, because that's how much I was getting with my Infiniti. I was so excited to find out I get 22 on average, driving the way I do. Hope it stays like that... <_<