Fuel Economy Merged Threads

Still deciding which to buy. The power of the 350 is very seductive, but the EPA fuel economy numbers for the IS250 Auto/RWD are hard to ignore. So of course I'm wondering just how much better the IS250 fuel economy is in actual practice?

EPA estimates aren't very accurate, so I was hoping that some of you in this forum could share your mileage to compare both models in the real-world.

It would also help to know:

- How many miles on your car.

- Transmission type (if manual)

- Chassis type (if AWD)

- Style of driving (granny, sedate, average, spirited, hot rod)

- Percentage of city vs. hwy miles (i.e. 30/70)

- Terrain (Bay Area hills? or the Iowa plains?)

Thanks!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still deciding which to buy. The power of the 350 is very seductive, but the EPA fuel economy numbers for the IS250 Auto/RWD are hard to ignore. So of course I'm wondering just how much better the IS250 fuel economy is in actual practice?

EPA estimates aren't very accurate, so I was hoping that some of you in this forum could share your mileage to compare both models in the real-world.

It would also help to know:

- How many miles on your car.

- Transmission type (if manual)

- Chassis type (if AWD)

- Style of driving (granny, sedate, average, spirited, hot rod)

- Percentage of city vs. hwy miles (i.e. 30/70)

- Terrain (Bay Area hills? or the Iowa plains?)

Thanks!

I have a one month old IS350 with 1900 miles. Boston suburbs: 50%hwy,50%city; curvy and hilly. Spirited driver and I'm getting 19mpg on 91 octane gasoline.

I have an IS 350 with about 200 miles on it. I haven't filled her up yet since I bought it, but according to the guage, I'm getting around 18-19 mpg. I would say I do spirited driving and do about 80% in the city.

My IS350 lifetime computer average is 23.6 MPG at 3000 miles.

Best mileage has been 27.3 on a couple of 500 mile interstate trips.

I have an IS 250 AWD with 750 miles on it. I get 26 mpg. 75% highway and 25% city. I am also often in traffic.

Did you read Patrick Bedard's column in C&D this month? He places the responsibility for gas mileage performance on the feet of the driver. Obviously, the vehicle has some inherent gas mileage limitations. Howerver, the the driver interactions with the "go" and "stop" pedals will have a significant influence on the final result.

Bottom line, your driving style may have as much impact on your realized mileage as any other pertinent factor. (Oh well, there goes *my* gas mileage!) :)

Craig

Did you read Patrick Bedard's column in C&D this month? He places the responsibility for gas mileage performance on the feet of the driver. Obviously, the vehicle has some inherent gas mileage limitations. Howerver, the the driver interactions with the "go" and "stop" pedals will have a significant influence on the final result.

Bottom line, your driving style may have as much impact on your realized mileage as any other pertinent factor. (Oh well, there goes *my* gas mileage!) :)

Craig

No offense to Bedard, but no kidding. It truly frightens me how little the average motorist knows about what's going on in and around his vehicle.

Craig

That's quite the revelation from Bedard. Must have been a slow car news month. :chairshot:

• 4 months later...

Fuel Economy

I now have close to 2300 miles on my IS350... I do mostly city driving so I didn't expect "GREAT" MPG.... But my last tank had a average of only 13mpg!????? are you kidding me!??? The overall MPG is only 18.2... OUCH...

I do have a heavy foot on the on ramp.... but I've settled down the past 1000 miles....

Just paid $3.21 for 93 Super...

Anyone else seen averages in the 22-25s????

LOL yea I paid 3.20 for premium. My tank average is like 16/17. IS drivers have pretty heavy foots, that's probably why we bought the 350 lol. I think it's possible to get better gas mileage, but we probably won't.

yup.. its like flying a fighter jet!!! Every time I fill up.. I tell myself that I'm going to just pamper this tank and see what I can get....

Then a friend wants to take it for a ride.... :whistles:

we have a rail yard that is approx. 1.5 mile long that is nice and paved..... well.. the car has seen the "red" ring lots of times but has only seen 130....

My 4000 mile average is 22.5

Do you do Hwy or city driving?

My wife and I bought an IS250 last weekend and when I filled up yesterday we drove 288 miles on 12 gallons of gas. That equates to 24 mpg, and I've been romping on it a bit when I've driven it. All city driving with no prolonged highway stints. I'm thinking the IS250 might be the luxury eco friendly car of the year.

LOL yea I paid 3.20 for premium. My tank average is like 16/17. IS drivers have pretty heavy foots, that's probably why we bought the 350 lol. I think it's possible to get better gas mileage, but we probably won't.

yup.. its like flying a fighter jet!!! Every time I fill up.. I tell myself that I'm going to just pamper this tank and see what I can get....

Then a friend wants to take it for a ride.... :whistles:

we have a rail yard that is approx. 1.5 mile long that is nice and paved..... well.. the car has seen the "red" ring lots of times but has only seen 130....

My 4000 mile average is 22.5

Do you do Hwy or city driving?

About 50/50 but hardly ever get into any jam ups. I usually do a couple of 0 to 100 runs per week.

When the car was new I went on a 1300 mile trip and got 27 mpg.

I've got 6000 miles on mine and the average is 22.6 mpg. I do mostly highway driving to and from work, but it's a two lane hw with redlights, so there are stop-and-gos. I could probably average about 24-25 mpg if there weren't so many mustangs trying to race at 6:00 in the morning. I just can't take it easy for a whole tank. I'm so glad I got the 350.

Oh... and I feel for you all on gas prices. Right now I'm getting premium for about 2.85 a gallon. Filled up for 2.76 yesterday.

My norm is like 20.X avg. I think that sucks, i feel like all i do is feed the car and at 3.xx a gal im going to need a part-time job to keep up with it

Yes... I'll be taking up a part time job at the local 7/11 just to pay for the gas myself....

But... IT WILL STILL BE WORTH IT!!!!

This car is a BLAST!!!! :cheers:

Only thing I've found that bugs me.... and its only a small thing.... but the "Current MPG" meter.... Its useless!!!! Why do they need a 0-90 for!????? a 0-35 with more detail would be more helpful...

but a 0___30___60___90 !??????? Thanks for the thought Lexus... but I would rather have something more like 0__15__30__45 or even better.... 0__10__15__20__25__30

Yes... I'll be taking up a part time job at the local 7/11 just to pay for the gas myself....

But... IT WILL STILL BE WORTH IT!!!!

This car is a BLAST!!!! :cheers:

Only thing I've found that bugs me.... and its only a small thing.... but the "Current MPG" meter.... Its useless!!!! Why do they need a 0-90 for!????? a 0-35 with more detail would be more helpful...

but a 0___30___60___90 !??????? Thanks for the thought Lexus... but I would rather have something more like 0__15__30__45 or even better.... 0__10__15__20__25__30

With the way im going... 0__15___20 would be more then enough :D

What was the listed mpg again?

I could probably average about 24-25 mpg if there weren't so many mustangs trying to race at 6:00 in the morning. I just can't take it easy for a whole tank. I'm so glad I got the 350.

Yea I know how you feel lol. :cheers:

Man, where does everyone live? I live in LA and my premium gas is 9 1 octane and its like 3.60/gallon. I have 3K miles and avg 23.7mpg on a is250. in traffic, i get about 17 mpg. in freeway, i get about 29-31 mpg going about 70-80mph.