Huge Leak In P/s Return Line

glenmore

My son was driving the 90 LS400 when the P/S suddenly got really hard. He limped to a friends house and added more P/S fluid but it wouldn't take long for it all to leak out again.

I found a huge leak in the return line by the oil filter. This is a 9 inch "U" shaped piece of hose covered in a protective foam rubber outer hose.

At Park Place they list four different return hoses, the cheapest being $50.

Has anyone used generic hydraulic hose as a substitue here? Anyone know what size to use? Generic hose would probably only cost a few bucks. It is a rather severe "U" shape so an OEM formed hose would be much better.

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

2000 C280

1991 300CE

Lexus's hoses are made of special, extra durable grades of rubber and come in precise fitting metric inside and outside diameters. If you don't plan on keeping the car very long or don't plan on selling it to a friend or family member then maybe the non-metric auto parts store hose will be adequate.

Did the repair with a $2 piece of hose from Autozone. So far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed that my son didn't fry the P/S pump by driving it so low on fluid. Car seems to drive OK, time will tell.

I would suggest, if you have a Gen I LS400, this is cheap, easy preventive maintanence.

glenmore

1990 LS400

2000 C280

1991 300CE

Did the repair with a $2 piece of hose from Autozone. So far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed that my son didn't fry the P/S pump by driving it so low on fluid. Car seems to drive OK, time will tell.

I would suggest, if you have a Gen I LS400, this is cheap, easy preventive maintanence.

glenmore

1990 LS400

2000 C280

1991 300CE

I did the same repair on my LS400 last week. Got it done less then $1. 3/8" hose will work. Just make sure the clamps are tight. I used zip tied instead.

• 3 months later...

glenmore

1990 LS400

2000 C280

1991 300CE

It looks like my u shape hose is leaking slowly near the connection of the hose to metal section. My question is whether you cut the metal ps return pipe where hose is connected then simply clamped hose to metal section with hose clamp or zip tie? Thanks

[

It looks like my u shape hose is leaking slowly near the connection of the hose to metal section. My question is whether you cut the metal ps return pipe where hose is connected then simply clamped hose to metal section with hose clamp or zip tie? Thanks

IIRC, there were spring type clamps on both ends of this hose. No cutting anything. Just release clamps, pull off old hose, attach new hose and reattach clamps. Or as mentioned above use zipties or new hose clamps.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280